The Student Room Group

The factors which determine an organism's phenotype.

For an essay for biology.

So far I have:

Environmental:
+ Diet/ types of food eaten
+ Lifestyle/Exercise
+ Adaptations to environment

Genetics
+ Random fusion of gametes
+ Crossover of chromosomes
+ Alleles inherited from parents
+ combination of alleles

What else can I write about?
Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth
For an essay for biology.

So far I have:

Environmental:
+ Diet/ types of food eaten
+ Lifestyle/Exercise
+ Adaptations to environment

Genetics
+ Random fusion of gametes
+ Crossover of chromosomes
+ Alleles inherited from parents
+ combination of alleles

What else can I write about?

Factors that are expressed as a result of both genetics and the environment. For example, whilst height is controlled by many genes, it is also limited by diet. If you have a balanced and healthy diet, your maximum potential should be reached, but if it is deficient in certain nutrients, e.g. a calcium and vitamin D deficiency, the ability to reach your genetic height is limited.

When you say adaptation to the environment, in what way? If you mean like a chameleon that can change its colour based on its environment, then I agree. If you mean adaptation in terms of evolution, would this not be genetic? In this case the environment is acting as the selective pressure to increase the expression of certain alleles. I'd make sure you clearly explain what a phenotype is and explain a clear cut difference between the two different types of factor.
It's a good essay to slip in a bit about environmental sex determination.
Maybe even talking a bit about diabetes as an example? How type I diabetes is caused by genetics but type II is caused by a bad diet and lack of exercise (leading to being overweight)? I'm not sure, I am terrible at these essay questions!
Reply 5
Original post by someone01
Maybe even talking a bit about diabetes as an example? How type I diabetes is caused by genetics but type II is caused by a bad diet and lack of exercise (leading to being overweight)? I'm not sure, I am terrible at these essay questions!

Actually type 2 has a stronger genetic component than type 1.

They're both caused by environment plus genetics, it's just the environmental insult is very clear for type 2 but largely mysterious for type 1.
Original post by Kinkerz

They're both caused by environment plus genetics, it's just the environmental insult is very clear for type 2 but largely mysterious for type 1.

REALLY? None of my books say anything about that /: They just say that type 2 is caused by being overweight, it doesn't mention genetics at all /:
Reply 7
REALLY? None of my books say anything about that /: They just say that type 2 is caused by being overweight, it doesn't mention genetics at all /:

Your books are simplifying things for you.
Original post by Kinkerz
Your books are simplifying things for you.

But surely examiners don't expect me to know things that aren't on the book...
Reply 9

This thread isn't about you. I was clarifying for the O.P.'s purpose.
Original post by Kinkerz
This thread isn't about you. I was clarifying for the O.P.'s purpose.

oh, I am really sorry for being a bit worried about saying something wrong on an exam, how selfish of me..
oh, I am really sorry for being a bit worried about saying something wrong on an exam, how selfish of me..

A touch of common sense is quite useful for exams.
Reply 12
Thanks for the responses so far. Most have been helpful, but please don't argue over it :rolleyes:

For the synoptic AQA A2 essay you can only get 3 of the marks by writing about topics that don't appear in the specification.
Reply 13

Ooh yeah good idea.

Original post by Joshalos
Factors that are expressed as a result of both genetics and the environment. For example, whilst height is controlled by many genes, it is also limited by diet. If you have a balanced and healthy diet, your maximum potential should be reached, but if it is deficient in certain nutrients, e.g. a calcium and vitamin D deficiency, the ability to reach your genetic height is limited.

When you say adaptation to the environment, in what way? If you mean like a chameleon that can change its colour based on its environment, then I agree. If you mean adaptation in terms of evolution, would this not be genetic? In this case the environment is acting as the selective pressure to increase the expression of certain alleles. I'd make sure you clearly explain what a phenotype is and explain a clear cut difference between the two different types of factor.

Yeah chameleons would be good for environment.

For adaptations to the environment genetically speaking I was thinking how prey have protective features, predators also have features that make them better adapted. And other such things. Also for plants I guess xerophytic characteristics are genetic. And how the environment causes a selection pressure.

Original post by Quantex
It's a good essay to slip in a bit about environmental sex determination.

Is that like with Turtles when the temperature determines whether they're male or female. I may have got that completely wrong though.

Original post by Kinkerz

Yeah diabetes is a good one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending