The Student Room Group

Optometry Students 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shabz(1997)
I got all B's but my A levels are on track, i also have a couple of weeks of work experience do you think i stand a chance to be accepted on the course or do you need all A's?

THANKS

You'll be fine as long as your A-levels are good, and your personal statement.

(Just so you know, if you hit the 'quote' button under my post, I'll get a notification that you've replied and I'll be much more likely to see everything you're asking :smile: )
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
It really depends on which halls you're in as to how good they are. I'm in Sedley Court and like it. CB1 is great. Places like Peter Taylor and Swinhoe, while on campus, are a bit rubbish, honestly.

Student life is as good as you make it. I'm not really into clubbing or anything, but there's a few main clubs that people go to and there's plenty of pubs (which is more my thing). There's a whole bunch of societies too.

So did you apply to orthoptics with the same personal statement? I'm mostly looking at Aston and Manchester uni so any advice for prep for those two?

Also what type of things were you asked in the interview? And did you give an interview at Manchester?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OneLittleStudent
So did you apply to orthoptics with the same personal statement? I'm mostly looking at Aston and Manchester uni so any advice for prep for those two?

Also what type of things were you asked in the interview? And did you give an interview at Manchester?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I did.

And I can't give any specific advice about Aston or Manchester because I didn't get asked to interview at Manchester, didn't get an offer (and even if they'd given me one I'd have turned it down because I hated the city so much) and I've never been to Aston.

I do know that Manchester will ask you something along the lines of:
-Why Optometry
-Why Manchester
-Why would you be good at it
-Tell me about your work experience

Anglia don't do interviews.
Yes I did.

And I can't give any specific advice about Aston or Manchester because I didn't get asked to interview at Manchester, didn't get an offer (and even if they'd given me one I'd have turned it down because I hated the city so much) and I've never been to Aston.

I do know that Manchester will ask you something along the lines of:
-Why Optometry
-Why Manchester
-Why would you be good at it
-Tell me about your work experience

Anglia don't do interviews.

Oh okay thanks! So are you planning to go into high street practice after your degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! I'm just about to finish my first year at Manchester for Optometry. Instead of re-writing everything have a look at the applications thread for this year and I have mentioned quite a lot for Manchester. If you want to ask anything else either message me back on here or dm me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It really depends on which halls you're in as to how good they are. I'm in Sedley Court and like it. CB1 is great. Places like Peter Taylor and Swinhoe, while on campus, are a bit rubbish, honestly.

Student life is as good as you make it. I'm not really into clubbing or anything, but there's a few main clubs that people go to and there's plenty of pubs (which is more my thing). There's a whole bunch of societies too.

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sushibabee
Hey! I'm just about to finish my first year at Manchester for Optometry. Instead of re-writing everything have a look at the applications thread for this year and I have mentioned quite a lot for Manchester. If you want to ask anything else either message me back on here or dm me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! Do you have the link for that thread?

Also are you doing a bachelors or masters and if I want to do the 4 year masters then do I still apply for the bachelors?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you! Do you have the link for that thread?

Also are you doing a bachelors or masters and if I want to do the 4 year masters then do I still apply for the bachelors?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This will take you to a random post in the thread - either go through and find posts useful to you or just go through my profile and find the posts I have posted in the thread.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2416876&page=99&p=47834990&highlight=optom#post47834990

I am currently on the MOptom course but this is provisional and they can take me off at any time. They don't even mention the MOptom course until 2nd year as it doesn't change anything until third year. In other words it doesn't matter whether you apply for the Bsc or the Moptom at this stage as you can opt in or out later. However, one thing I should mention is opting it at an early stage gave me more things to talk about at my interview.
This will take you to a random post in the thread - either go through and find posts useful to you or just go through my profile and find the posts I have posted in the thread.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2416876&page=99&p=47834990&highlight=optom#post47834990

I am currently on the MOptom course but this is provisional and they can take me off at any time. They don't even mention the MOptom course until 2nd year as it doesn't change anything until third year. In other words it doesn't matter whether you apply for the Bsc or the Moptom at this stage as you can opt in or out later. However, one thing I should mention is opting it at an early stage gave me more things to talk about at my interview.

Thank you!

Also just a few quick questions as I really want to go to Manchester 1st preference:

Which halls are you staying at?
Which is the optometry building?
Do you do all your clinics at royal eye hospital?
What did you get at a level?
Had you done any work experience?

Please feel free to not answer any if you don't want to. I just want to get an insight into the course so I'm prepared with what's coming my way when I apply :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also just a few quick questions as I really want to go to Manchester 1st preference:

Which halls are you staying at?
Which is the optometry building?
Do you do all your clinics at royal eye hospital?
What did you get at a level?
Had you done any work experience?

Please feel free to not answer any if you don't want to. I just want to get an insight into the course so I'm prepared with what's coming my way when I apply :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad you do! Manchester was my first preference and I definitely don't regret it at all! I have stayed in both Richmond Park and Victoria Hall. I moved out of Richmond Park which I know seems slightly odd but it really isn't for everyone - really depends on who you get stuck with. Love victoria hall now - most optoms in my years are not even in fallowfield - most are in victoria and city campus or commute from surrounding areas. The optometry building is the Carys Bannister building - very modern! Most first year lectures are in the dover street lecture theatre which is the building next door to the Carys Bannister building. Our clinical practicals etc all take place in this carys bannister building. Only in the summer of year 2, you get a week's placement at the Manchester Royal Eye hospital. At a-level (it all went downhill in A2) but I ended up with ABB but I was only a couple of UMS (about 6ums if I remember correctly) in both my B's. I got the A in bio and B's in chemistry and maths. Work experience - I had a week at Specsavers, a week in an independent practice, a couple of days in an optical lab, a week at a general hospital (amazing experience), quite a few weeks at a pharmacy. Think that's about it. I have done quite a lot of volunteering too which again definitely helps in interview.
I'm hoping to go into optometry and would love to go to manchester uni but my other options is bradford and can't get over the fact that they expect six months work experince.
Is a lot of work experince required to get into optom?
ive got one week next week at pharmacy had one week at bae and going to do one week in the summer at an optician.
do they require voluntary work?
I'm studying maths chem ict and English lit and hoping to carry them to a2.
if I don't have any knowledge in biology would it put me down when starting the degree?
Original post by ammaarah01
I'm hoping to go into optometry and would love to go to manchester uni but my other options is bradford and can't get over the fact that they expect six months work experince.
Is a lot of work experince required to get into optom?
ive got one week next week at pharmacy had one week at bae and going to do one week in the summer at an optician.
do they require voluntary work?
I'm studying maths chem ict and English lit and hoping to carry them to a2.
if I don't have any knowledge in biology would it put me down when starting the degree?

Honestly I just think they are saying that to push you. Obviously, the more experience the better but I only think they are saying it so they try and get the top of the range students but it isn't a requirement and I know people who have gotten in there with very low grades and little to none experience. It is basically just a way of attracting students who have more experience under their belt. Looking at the league tables though, clearly more experience doesn't show for anything. I'd recommend trying to get at least two week of work experience in an opticians - just to show them you not just thinking about it, but are committed. Voluntary work is not a requirement but it is one very good speaking point in interviews and at the end of the day another thing to add to your CV so there isn't much to lose. Voluntary work proves the skills you may mention in your personal statement else you have nothing else to give evidence from. It would put you down slightly as some modules are highly biology based but then again you get modules which are largely maths or physics and obviously there are very few people that have done all three of these subjects - just means you have to keep on top and ensure you understand what is being fed to you in lectures.
Honestly I just think they are saying that to push you. Obviously, the more experience the better but I only think they are saying it so they try and get the top of the range students but it isn't a requirement and I know people who have gotten in there with very low grades and little to none experience. It is basically just a way of attracting students who have more experience under their belt. Looking at the league tables though, clearly more experience doesn't show for anything. I'd recommend trying to get at least two week of work experience in an opticians - just to show them you not just thinking about it, but are committed. Voluntary work is not a requirement but it is one very good speaking point in interviews and at the end of the day another thing to add to your CV so there isn't much to lose. Voluntary work proves the skills you may mention in your personal statement else you have nothing else to give evidence from. It would put you down slightly as some modules are highly biology based but then again you get modules which are largely maths or physics and obviously there are very few people that have done all three of these subjects - just means you have to keep on top and ensure you understand what is being fed to you in lectures.

Thanks soooo much for the advice 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh okay thanks! So are you planning to go into high street practice after your degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, probably.
Glad you do! Manchester was my first preference and I definitely don't regret it at all! I have stayed in both Richmond Park and Victoria Hall. I moved out of Richmond Park which I know seems slightly odd but it really isn't for everyone - really depends on who you get stuck with. Love victoria hall now - most optoms in my years are not even in fallowfield - most are in victoria and city campus or commute from surrounding areas. The optometry building is the Carys Bannister building - very modern! Most first year lectures are in the dover street lecture theatre which is the building next door to the Carys Bannister building. Our clinical practicals etc all take place in this carys bannister building. Only in the summer of year 2, you get a week's placement at the Manchester Royal Eye hospital. At a-level (it all went downhill in A2) but I ended up with ABB but I was only a couple of UMS (about 6ums if I remember correctly) in both my B's. I got the A in bio and B's in chemistry and maths. Work experience - I had a week at Specsavers, a week in an independent practice, a couple of days in an optical lab, a week at a general hospital (amazing experience), quite a few weeks at a pharmacy. Think that's about it. I have done quite a lot of volunteering too which again definitely helps in interview.

Thank you very much for the info!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also what types of things did you write in your personal statement as I don't know where to start with it!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also what types of things did you write in your personal statement as I don't know where to start with it!?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Start by looking here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Writing_Your_Personal_Statement

basically:
work experience + what it taught you
skills you have (with proof)
extracurriculars.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What I did was bullet pointed everything I had done - work experience, extra stuff, jobs, voluntary work etc the beside it i wrote a skill it contributed to. Group these together. Start and intro then main body you should look to see where anything you say you can do can be backed up by evidence with your bullet pointed list. Remember little things you learnt in english language with rule of three etc. Do a final paragraph and then you have your first draft. I have seven drafts before I was finished with mine so you will end up changing words and sentences until it flows well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What I did was bullet pointed everything I had done - work experience, extra stuff, jobs, voluntary work etc the beside it i wrote a skill it contributed to. Group these together. Start and intro then main body you should look to see where anything you say you can do can be backed up by evidence with your bullet pointed list. Remember little things you learnt in english language with rule of three etc. Do a final paragraph and then you have your first draft. I have seven drafts before I was finished with mine so you will end up changing words and sentences until it flows well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay thanks! I haven't done any work experience in the an optical Setting but I've done a week in hospital how would I be able to relate that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest