The Student Room Group

Optometry Students 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fifi97
Got my AS results on thursday. Got AACU in Maths, Economics, Biology and Chemistry respectively. Not the best results but not the worst

I've always wanted to study Optometry but City university asks for AAA...
If I apply, will I get an offer?
btw my gcse's were 1A* 6A's 3B's and 1C

Has anyone got in optometry with similar grades???
should I bother applying or should I do something else

Well done on your results! I think if you really do want to apply then go for it maybe work experience or non academic things can boost your application. I got 4 A's and I'm thinking of applying to Aston and Manchester

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 121
Original post by OneLittleStudent
Well done on your results! I think if you really do want to apply then go for it maybe work experience or non academic things can boost your application. I got 4 A's and I'm thinking of applying to Aston and Manchester

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow your grades are so good! I've got 4 weeks worth of work experience but I think uni's care more about your grades....
Maybe I could get through clearing next year I don't know
Original post by fifi97
wow your grades are so good! I've got 4 weeks worth of work experience but I think uni's care more about your grades....
Maybe I could get through clearing next year I don't know

Thanks, yeah it was on clearing this year but I think it depends year to year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fifi97
Got my AS results on thursday. Got AACU in Maths, Economics, Biology and Chemistry respectively. Not the best results but not the worst

I've always wanted to study Optometry but City university asks for AAA...
If I apply, will I get an offer?
btw my gcse's were 1A* 6A's 3B's and 1C

Has anyone got in optometry with similar grades???
should I bother applying or should I do something else

You should get predicted AAB with those results, and I'm sure they'd give you an offer. The AAA is normally just for show, people get in with ABB.
Anyone know whether AS grades are that important when applying to City for Optometry? I got BBCD so I'll be retaking all of Bio and Chem so that I can get my predictions up to AAB / ABB, but I was just wondering whether my AS grades will be looked down on.
Reply 125
Hi there! I've always wanted to go into medicine until, well, now. I got AAAB in my AS year, B being in Chem and As being in Bio, English and History. I'm currently revising for the UKCAT and just kinda want to give up on it all.

Meanwhile, optometry is sounding more and more appealing to me...I'd be really interested in the biology side of it; the anatomy, diseases etc. I'd love the clinic work too!

However, not so crazy over maths and physics.

Basically, my question is: What is the maths and physics like in the optometry course? Is it upto a GCSE standard? What kind of topics are involved (other than optics, ofc)

Would it be something I'd be able to deal with? >.< How did you find it yourself? Thanks :smile:
Original post by als-96
Hi there! I've always wanted to go into medicine until, well, now. I got AAAB in my AS year, B being in Chem and As being in Bio, English and History. I'm currently revising for the UKCAT and just kinda want to give up on it all.

Meanwhile, optometry is sounding more and more appealing to me...I'd be really interested in the biology side of it; the anatomy, diseases etc. I'd love the clinic work too!

Basically, my question is: What is the maths and physics like in the optometry course? Is it upto a GCSE standard? What kind of topics are involved (other than optics, ofc)

Would it be something I'd be able to deal with? >.< How did you find it yourself? Thanks :smile:

Hi,

I've been told there are quite a lot of mathematical formulas involved. Not sure if its GSCE level or above as i'm not from England but I believe you would have to have quite a high standard of maths.
You can always contact the uni your interested in and ask them.
:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by als-96

Hi, I wanted to go into medicine too but decided to change to optometry as it still has a medical side to it like diagnosis and patient interaction but just focused on the eye. I'm not keen on physics either but when talking to optom students they said there is a physics module of optics but there is a lot more biology and the maths isn't too difficult as there is quite a lot of formulae
Hi there, I'm looking to study optometry but I want to know if I have much chance of getting on to the course. My AS grades were CCCD in biology, maths, geography and chemistry. I will be dropping geography and will be resitting various modules in each subject. Will my AS grades be looked down on by uni's?
Reply 129
Original post by OneLittleStudent
Hi, I wanted to go into medicine too but decided to change to optometry as it still has a medical side to it like diagnosis and patient interaction but just focused on the eye. I'm not keen on physics either but when talking to optom students they said there is a physics module of optics but there is a lot more biology and the maths isn't too difficult as there is quite a lot of formulae

I don't know...I didn't get A*s at GCSE, I got As. I'm fine with chemical maths and formulas. It's the graphs crap I probably hate most. I'd really like an honest opinion of whether you think I'd be good enough cuz its my future, you know?

I think I want to go to Anglia myself cuz I've heard they're quite flexible and the uni looks awesome too! :biggrin: Guess I kinda have to look into it lol
Reply 130
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
Yes I did.

And I can't give any specific advice about Aston or Manchester because I didn't get asked to interview at Manchester, didn't get an offer (and even if they'd given me one I'd have turned it down because I hated the city so much) and I've never been to Aston.

I do know that Manchester will ask you something along the lines of:
-Why Optometry
-Why Manchester
-Why would you be good at it
-Tell me about your work experience

Anglia don't do interviews.

Hey! I'm kinda new here so I didn't know how else to get your attention lol.
Just a quick question: I'm not the biggest fan of math and physics. I've never really enjoyed them but I am really interested in doing optometry (the bio side and clinic work)...do you think it's worth me giving it a go?

Also, how hard do you think I'd find the math and physics? I do neither at A level (I just finished AS bio (A), chem (B), history (A), english (A))
I got As in both physics and maths at GCSE. What kind of topics are studied regarding physics and maths for optometry (in a little detail if you could!) Thanks :smile:
Original post by als-96
Hey! I'm kinda new here so I didn't know how else to get your attention lol.
Just a quick question: I'm not the biggest fan of math and physics. I've never really enjoyed them but I am really interested in doing optometry (the bio side and clinic work)...do you think it's worth me giving it a go?

Also, how hard do you think I'd find the math and physics? I do neither at A level (I just finished AS bio (A), chem (B), history (A), english (A))
I got As in both physics and maths at GCSE. What kind of topics are studied regarding physics and maths for optometry (in a little detail if you could!) Thanks :smile:

That's fine!
You'll probably be okay tbh, the maths isn't too hard so long as you learn the formulae and know what they mean.
We cover light, basically. How it travels through lenses and so on. I can't give all the details right now (I'm away from my notes) but remind me again in a couple of days and I'll be able to give you a better topic breakdown.

To anyone else: I'm a current student at Anglia, so feel free to ask me questions about the course or uni if you like.
That's fine!
You'll probably be okay tbh, the maths isn't too hard so long as you learn the formulae and know what they mean.
We cover light, basically. How it travels through lenses and so on. I can't give all the details right now (I'm away from my notes) but remind me again in a couple of days and I'll be able to give you a better topic breakdown.

To anyone else: I'm a current student at Anglia, so feel free to ask me questions about the course or uni if you like.

Hi there, what were your AS and A2 grades and what unis did you apply to?
I would like to apply to City but my AS grades are BBCD (Bs in English and French, C in Chem, D in Bio), so I'm not sure whether this would affect my application. I'll be dropping English and retaking some Bio/Chem modules and should get my predicted up to AAB-ABB. Do you know of people who applied with grades similar to mine?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Petulia
Hi there, what were your AS and A2 grades and what unis did you apply to?
I would like to apply to City but my AS grades are BBCD (Bs in English and French, C in Chem, D in Bio), so I'm not sure whether this would affect my application. I'll be dropping English and retaking some Bio/Chem modules and should get my predicted up to AAB-ABB. Do you know of people who applied with grades similar to mine?

Hey :smile: my story is a little long, but basically after AS I had BBCC (maths, bio, chem, econ). I applied (with grades pending as I was resitting some papers) to Manchester, Glasgow, Ulster and Anglia (+Orthoptics at Liverpool as a 'back up'). I was rejected without interview by Manchester, received offers from Ulster/Anglia/Liverpool and withdrew my application from Glasgow because I decided I loved Anglia too much to make anything else my firm.

I didn't make the grades. I ended up with BCC on results day, and I chose to resist exams. So I was applying again with those grades and predictions of ABB. I applied to optometry at Anglia again, and a few places for things like radiography which required lower grades. I ended up with ABC and got accepted to Anglia with those grades last year.

I didn't apply to City so I can't say with certainty, but your grades shouldn't be an issue if you have good predictions.
(edited 9 years ago)
Any gap year students hoping to apply for Optom here? I'm going to resit some A2 modules in Bio and Chem to get them both up to A as I got Bs in them -_- Thankfully the unis I wanna go to don't discriminate against resitters :smile:

So many questions!
How do you find the course in general?

How's the teaching there?

How stressful is the course?

Do you still have time to do extracurricular stuff?

How much of the course is practical?

What placements are offered?
Original post by coolerthanbeans
So many questions!
How do you find the course in general?

How's the teaching there?

How stressful is the course?

Do you still have time to do extracurricular stuff?

How much of the course is practical?

What placements are offered?

Oh, I love the course.
Teaching is generally good, IMO.
Yes, lots of time. First year doesn't have toooo many hours in class.
Em... We have a biology practical pretty much every week during semester one in first year, and then in second semester we get into practice rooms for actual optometry practical stuff? It's a few hours each week to start with and then it increases in second and third year,

Not sure? You get to work in the ARU clinic in third year, if that's the sort of thing you mean.
Im in a similar situation got ACCD for AS going to retake bio and chem modules but dont know if I'' recieve offers from unis :/
It's so confusing isn't it, I'm not sure whether to just resit the whole year but I don't want to waste any time. Which uni's are you looking to apply to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hiren1196
It's so confusing isn't it, I'm not sure whether to just resit the whole year but I don't want to waste any time. Which uni's are you looking to apply to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not keen on retaking the whole year either, which is why I'm just going to retake all of the Bio and Chem exans. Get your predictions up to ABB ish and resit some exams (if you think you'll cope) and also try to get some work experience to improve your personal statement. The Anglia student above applied with BBCC and managed to get offers, so you should too. I think everyone kind of messed up this year because there weren't any January exams, so unis should understand as long as your predicted grades meet the requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest