The Student Room Group

C4 binomial expansion

Hi,

I have two questions, both about the values for which binomial series are valid.

The first question is, what determines, whether or not we use a \leq sign or just a < sign? The answers in my book vary with which one they use, and there doesn't appear to be any discernible difference in the question.

My second question is, when we have to take a factor out of the parenthesis, for example (16+y)12 (16 + y)^{\frac{1}{2}} when we want to find the value for which the series is valid, do we put the 16 back in? Again, in my book, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't, with no explanation as to why.

Any help would be really appreciated!
Thanks
Marc.
Original post by marcsaccount
Hi,

I have two questions, both about the values for which binomial series are valid.

The first question is, what determines, whether or not we use a \leq sign or just a < sign? The answers in my book vary with which one they use, and there doesn't appear to be any discernible difference in the question.

My second question is, when we have to take a factor out of the parenthesis, for example (16+y)12 (16 + y)^{\frac{1}{2}} when we want to find the value for which the series is valid, do we put the 16 back in? Again, in my book, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't, with no explanation as to why.

Thanks
Marc.

<
putting in or keeping out gives the sam answer
Hi,

Thanks
Marc.

just remember that when you take out the 16 you must apply the power 1/2 to it :wink:
Original post by TenOfThem
<

HI thanks for your help....so it doesn't matter (for binomial expansions) if we say 'less than' or 'equal to or less than'?
Original post by the bear
just remember that when you take out the 16 you must apply the power 1/2 to it :wink:

Hi, thanks for your help. Yeah, I remember that the 16 also has the same power, so it would be 4.

But in my book, for (4+2x)12=2(1+12x)12 (4+2x)^{\frac{1}{2}} = 2(1+\frac{1}{2}x)^{\frac{1}{2}} it says it is only valid x2 x \leq 2

But for (16+y)12=4(1+y16) (16+y)^{\frac{1}{2}} =4(1+\frac{y}{16}) the book says it is valid when the mod of y is less than 4. So how did they work this out?
(edited 9 years ago)

<

The interval of validity does need to have less-than, not less-than-or-equal to. Consider (1+x)1=1x+x2x3+(1+x)^{-1} = 1-x+x^2-x^3+\dots. Substitute -1 for x, and you get 1+1+1+1+1+1+\dots which obviously doesn't converge - and yet the convergence interval for this series is (1,1)(-1,1). For each question, you need to check whether the sum converges at the endpoints of the interval. (Actually, it seems plausible that it never converges on the endpoints - not sure about that without actually putting pencil to paper.)
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi, thanks for your help. Yeah, I remember that the 16 also has the same power, so it would be 4.

But in my book, for (4+2x)12=2(1+12x) (4+2x)^{\frac{1}{2}} = 2(1+\frac{1}{2}x) it says it is only valid x2 x \leq 2

But for (16+y)12=4(1+y16) (16+y)^{\frac{1}{2}} =4(1+\frac{y}{16}) the book says it is valid when the mod of y is less than 4. So how did they work this out?

it sounds like the book is wrong... if you have ( 1 + y/16) in the bracket then y is between -16 and 16
it sounds like the book is wrong... if you have ( 1 + y/16) in the bracket then y is between -16 and 16

OK, this makes sense to me, thanks :smile:

So simply, to get the value for which it is valid, we just look inside the brackets, and ignore any factors that we've taken out?
Original post by Smaug123
The interval of validity does need to have less-than, not less-than-or-equal to. Consider (1+x)1=1x+x2x3+(1+x)^-1 = 1-x+x^2-x^3+\dots. Substitute -1 for x, and you get 1+1+1+1+1+1+\dots which obviously doesn't converge - and yet the convergence interval for this series is (1,1)(-1,1). For each question, you need to check whether the sum converges at the endpoints of the interval. (Actually, it seems plausible that it never converges on the endpoints - not sure about that without actually putting pencil to paper.)

So, in all cases, should we say 'less than', rather than 'equal to or less than'?
OK, this makes sense to me, thanks :smile:

So simply, to get the value for which it is valid, we just look inside the brackets, and ignore any factors that we've taken out?

yes.
yes.

Thanks for your help :biggrin:
So, in all cases, should we say 'less than', rather than 'equal to or less than'?

"Less than" is safer, I think (bear in mind that I'm not an A-level teacher, so there may be some quirk of the mark scheme here).

But in my book, for (4+2x)12=2(1+12x)12 (4+2x)^{\frac{1}{2}} = 2(1+\frac{1}{2}x)^{\frac{1}{2}} it says it is only valid x2 x \leq 2

Your book seems odd

< as I said, always

and your |y|<16 either way
Your book seems odd

< as I said, always

and your |y|<16 either way

I've no idea what any of this means, except that I hope it means you are still with us.:smile:
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I've no idea what any of this means, except that I hope it means you are still with us.:smile:

I pop in

Make a post

Find it still annoys me to be back on my home page - pop out again :frown:
I pop in

Make a post

Find it still annoys me to be back on my home page - pop out again :frown:

Oh, I'm sorry. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest