The Student Room Group

AQA DT Prod3 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by morvenrkr
What do you mean the ums don't get carried over? Do they not add the four scores you get for your final grade!? :s-smilie:

The UMS for an A carry over as in it's 320/400 out of the two years but you have to have 90% in this year for an A* so you can't use any UMS last year for an A*. You will have had to get an A overall last year and 90% this year (180UMS) to be able to get an A*
image.jpg

how would everyone answer question one?! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ellie Oakley
The UMS for an A carry over as in it's 320/400 out of the two years but you have to have 90% in this year for an A* so you can't use any UMS last year for an A*. You will have had to get an A overall last year and 90% this year (180UMS) to be able to get an A*

Thank you !!
Reply 43
What does everyone mean by industry questions? What are they about? I am dreading this exam!
Original post by RyanFidler
In terms of products to study for aesthetics and function I would choose Dyson. His products are AMAZING in the way you can apply it to a question. You can talk about manufacturing process, patented of the cyclone and ball technology, how colour is used within the product to highlight form in the product, like the core separator and the cyclones are usually colour coordinated. The function of it is that it doesn't loose suction, low maintenance, no bags, 5 year guartenee etc. You can also talk about click methods used within the product, the sheer amount of testing he does with his products. Could also mention about possibly market pull and technology push. etc. I would choose Dyson!

However, you can go for more iconic products that have been known for aesthetics now rather than functionality such as Juicy Saliif by Philipe Stark. Its a great product to study. As due to its poor functionality part it has become a success on the aesthetics and a show piece within public households. You could also study the Barcelona Chair by Man Van Der Rohe, again another great product in term of functionallaty and aesthetics of the time of manufacture. As it is reflected of a art deco era in america during 1929-1939. As art deco is reffered to as functional, elegant and ultra modern of which the Barcelona Chair reflects perfectly.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for this answer, I've done some research and found out loads about days on but couldn't find anything about manufacturing techniques? Would you be able to tell me how one of the vacuums are manufacture please!?
By industry it means like possibly manufacturing methods uses, communication methods that are related and used in the industry to make products on time for the consumer. This exam is sheer dreadful due to no trends at all. Basically, a total shot in the dark.
Thank you for this answer, I've done some research and found out loads about days on but couldn't find anything about manufacturing techniques? Would you be able to tell me how one of the vacuums are manufacture please!?

Hey mate sure not a problem, all of dysons vacuum cleaners are injection moulded this is because due to some of the complex shapes dyson has within his vaccum from the cyclone part to the core seperator etc. So he uses injection moulded where he uses 3 main plastics and they are Polycarbonate, Polyproplene and ABS. All serve the durability and functionally that are assocaited with his products. Also, this is refelcted of his 5 year guarantee he has with all his produts reflects the sheer trust in the material. In addition to this, they also do LOADS of testing at Dyson to ensure customer satisfaction and safety in their products. Which, is reflected of Dyons success as the most succesfull vacuum cleaner.

Hope this helps mate. As you can tell this is one of the products i know inside and out to apply to a question along with others of course. P.s SORRY for the spelling mistakes haha
Hi,

With DT Prod 3 being on Tuesday 3rd, I want to make sure that I will be answering the questions correctly. As I am not an English student my essay style answers aren't amazing. Could you please provide a way to order and structure my answers please.

I often have bits here and there in my answers as I write down as I think. A little advice on how to structure my answers would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
Hey mate sure not a problem, all of dysons vacuum cleaners are injection moulded this is because due to some of the complex shapes dyson has within his vaccum from the cyclone part to the core seperator etc. So he uses injection moulded where he uses 3 main plastics and they are Polycarbonate, Polyproplene and ABS. All serve the durability and functionally that are assocaited with his products. Also, this is refelcted of his 5 year guarantee he has with all his produts reflects the sheer trust in the material. In addition to this, they also do LOADS of testing at Dyson to ensure customer satisfaction and safety in their products. Which, is reflected of Dyons success as the most succesfull vacuum cleaner.

Hope this helps mate. As you can tell this is one of the products i know inside and out to apply to a question along with others of course. P.s SORRY for the spelling mistakes haha

Life saver thank you SO much!!!
Life saver thank you SO much!!!

Your very welcome! Anything else you need help with? :smile:
Original post by AStudent14
Hi,

With DT Prod 3 being on Tuesday 3rd, I want to make sure that I will be answering the questions correctly. As I am not an English student my essay style answers aren't amazing. Could you please provide a way to order and structure my answers please.

I often have bits here and there in my answers as I write down as I think. A little advice on how to structure my answers would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Hi, what I tend to do it spend a good ten minutes writing down what I know then constructing it into a plan! Most say this wastes time but if I just go ahead and write I go off on quite a tangent!! It works for me. So I'll plan my essay by writing down facts and products I want to include. When I start to write the thing I don't do an intro but I probably should. If the question is like describe four of the following I will split my answer under four headings. It's really important to include diagrams wherever they are relevant. I don't tend to include a conclusion unless it's a long essay as apples to writing under headings.

So really my main advice is plan! And stick to your plan, cross out as you go! It's really shows the examiner you've thought about structure even if it's not executed amazingly!! Good luck!! :smile:
Hi, what I tend to do it spend a good ten minutes writing down what I know then constructing it into a plan! Most say this wastes time but if I just go ahead and write I go off on quite a tangent!! It works for me. So I'll plan my essay by writing down facts and products I want to include. When I start to write the thing I don't do an intro but I probably should. If the question is like describe four of the following I will split my answer under four headings. It's really important to include diagrams wherever they are relevant. I don't tend to include a conclusion unless it's a long essay as apples to writing under headings.

So really my main advice is plan! And stick to your plan, cross out as you go! It's really shows the examiner you've thought about structure even if it's not executed amazingly!! Good luck!! :smile:

Thank you! great advice. Are there any headings that you would focus on?

This is pretty much spot on! It's a good idea to read every question before you start to figure out where your strong points are, I always like to make a quick bullet list (maybe only a couple minutes thinking about it) It helps you to not forget something important, and stops you rambling on too. We did a mock in January and I split up a 4*7 marks into 4 sections with headings and managed to get 27/28, so it's a good way to go.

Generally conclusions gain no marks in this exam because it's repeating only what you've written (I've found). You also gain marks by writing in a structured and concise way (thats why a simple plan helps). The marking schemes are very vague and if you can write concisely it will put you up into the top range.

Everyone seems to say the exams are hard, but it's compensated by low grade boundaries, averaging over the past 4 exams at 49/84 for an A, so you can lose around 10 marks per question and still get an A. Its also worth noting the boundaries have raised slowly over the past four exams :mad: with the last being 54 for an A, so It would be good to aim for about 20 marks per question if you want to scrape an A, which really aint too hard IMO!

Good luck to everyone! :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by Circa1801
This is pretty much spot on! It's a good idea to read every question before you start to figure out where your strong points are, I always like to make a quick bullet list (maybe only a couple minutes thinking about it) It helps you to not forget something important, and stops you rambling on too. We did a mock in January and I split up a 4*7 marks into 4 sections with headings and managed to get 27/28, so it's a good way to go.

Generally conclusions gain no marks in this exam because it's repeating only what you've written (I've found). You also gain marks by writing in a structured and concise way (thats why a simple plan helps). The marking schemes are very vague and if you can write concisely it will put you up into the top range.

Everyone seems to say the exams are hard, but it's compensated by low grade boundaries, averaging over the past 4 exams at 49/84 for an A, so you can lose around 10 marks per question and still get an A. Its also worth noting the boundaries have raised slowly over the past four exams :mad: with the last being 54 for an A, so It would be good to aim for about 20 marks per question if you want to scrape an A, which really aint too hard IMO!

Good luck to everyone! :smile:

Hi - yo do u only answer 3 questions in this exam

Like 1 from section a one from section b - and what other question? :s-smilie:
Reply 54
Does anyone else find it really to revise for this exam? I can't seem to remember much at all and I'm absolutely dreading it. There just seems like way too much to remember.

Considering I only got a D in the coursework, which is disappointing after our teacher told us she had told us the wrong grades and it turned out I had a D not a A. I need to do decent in this exam to get a good grade overall.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trilo9y
Hi - yo do u only answer 3 questions in this exam

Like 1 from section a one from section b - and what other question? :s-smilie:

Its one question from section one and one question from section two and one more question from either section. Make sure though if it split up into 10 mark and a 18 mark you need to answer both parts of the question.

Overall, you'll answer 3-28 mark answers over the 2 hours duration.
Reply 56
Its one question from section one and one question from section two and one more question from either section. Make sure though if it split up into 10 mark and a 18 mark you need to answer both parts of the question.

Overall, you'll answer 3-28 mark answers over the 2 hours duration.

ok kool bro ty
Reply 57
Got some really good examples so far reading what other people have written. One example which I think is quite a good one for potential questions about marketing methods and target markets and stuff, is Easter Egg packaging.
For example, an Easter egg carton targeted at smaller children is going to be positioned on the bottom shelf and will feature plenty of colourful designs and shapes on the packaging e.g. Milky Bar eggs. Whereas an Easter egg carton that is targeted at couples will perhaps use more romantic/red graphics and be positioned higher up on the shelf e.g. Lindt Easter eggs.

It is also a relatively simple design process to remember, use of recycled cardboard pulp perhaps on the inside support packaging and simple die cut carton board for the main package.
Not sure whether that's helpful to anyone but I thought it was quite a good example :smile:.
Reply 58
Hey, I'm quite uneasy about this exam... Got 85/85 for both as and a2 cw and retaken as prod 1 to hopefully get my ums to like... 280, but I have a really bad feeling about this exam as I keep doing past papers and getting like 50%, and there's so bloody much to learn?
Original post by Tom_hess
Hey, I'm quite uneasy about this exam... Got 85/85 for both as and a2 cw and retaken as prod 1 to hopefully get my ums to like... 280, but I have a really bad feeling about this exam as I keep doing past papers and getting like 50%, and there's so bloody much to learn?

There is ALOT of information to know for this exam, but that's the requirement from AS to A2 standard.

Quick Reply