The Student Room Group

AQA DT Prod3 2014

Hi,
New to this place.
Just wondering if anybody is taking the Design and Technology: Product Design (PROD3) exam this June? If you're willing to share revision notes and/or techniques?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i will be doing this exam too! Product Design, 3D design? the papers are so random its hard to revise for!
I will also be doing this exam in June 2014 as well. This exam is so unpredictable there is no trends so you dont know what to expect on the day. I suppose the best way to prepare yourself is recover your AS notes ( Manufacturing methods, composites, Finishes, woods etc). Then revise the other section from the AQA Design and Technology Product Design 3D Design textbook. I would suggest revising all little bits from technology development up to advantages and disadvantages of robotics. All revision will feed into each other in a question.
Reply 3
yup this exam is unpredictable - i think section 1 of the paper asks for alot of AS stuff - so cover that.
What products r people going to use if they ask about one to analyse interms of aesthetics and function..
Reply 4
Original post by Trilo9y
yup this exam is unpredictable - i think section 1 of the paper asks for alot of AS stuff - so cover that.
What products r people going to use if they ask about one to analyse interms of aesthetics and function..

I have a case study for the industry and sustainability type questions but not one for the good design! I was thinking and iPod or something? Do you have a list of criteria you could talk about for those types of questions? :smile:
In terms of products to study for aesthetics and function I would choose Dyson. His products are AMAZING in the way you can apply it to a question. You can talk about manufacturing process, patented of the cyclone and ball technology, how colour is used within the product to highlight form in the product, like the core separator and the cyclones are usually colour coordinated. The function of it is that it doesn't loose suction, low maintenance, no bags, 5 year guartenee etc. You can also talk about click methods used within the product, the sheer amount of testing he does with his products. Could also mention about possibly market pull and technology push. etc. I would choose Dyson!

However, you can go for more iconic products that have been known for aesthetics now rather than functionality such as Juicy Saliif by Philipe Stark. Its a great product to study. As due to its poor functionality part it has become a success on the aesthetics and a show piece within public households. You could also study the Barcelona Chair by Man Van Der Rohe, again another great product in term of functionallaty and aesthetics of the time of manufacture. As it is reflected of a art deco era in america during 1929-1939. As art deco is reffered to as functional, elegant and ultra modern of which the Barcelona Chair reflects perfectly.

Hope that helps!
Reply 6
Original post by morvenrkr
I have a case study for the industry and sustainability type questions but not one for the good design! I was thinking and iPod or something? Do you have a list of criteria you could talk about for those types of questions? :smile:

Hi, yh i was thinking of doing iPod or Dyson but i dont know :s-smilie:
I dont have any good criteria sorry :/
Reply 7
Original post by RyanFidler
In terms of products to study for aesthetics and function I would choose Dyson. His products are AMAZING in the way you can apply it to a question. You can talk about manufacturing process, patented of the cyclone and ball technology, how colour is used within the product to highlight form in the product, like the core separator and the cyclones are usually colour coordinated. The function of it is that it doesn't loose suction, low maintenance, no bags, 5 year guartenee etc. You can also talk about click methods used within the product, the sheer amount of testing he does with his products. Could also mention about possibly market pull and technology push. etc. I would choose Dyson!

However, you can go for more iconic products that have been known for aesthetics now rather than functionality such as Juicy Saliif by Philipe Stark. Its a great product to study. As due to its poor functionality part it has become a success on the aesthetics and a show piece within public households. You could also study the Barcelona Chair by Man Van Der Rohe, again another great product in term of functionallaty and aesthetics of the time of manufacture. As it is reflected of a art deco era in america during 1929-1939. As art deco is reffered to as functional, elegant and ultra modern of which the Barcelona Chair reflects perfectly.

Hope that helps!

Hey ryan - thanks for ur reply man - u reckon we can use Robin day chair - uno the polyprop one.?

but i need another one - just incase - i dont know anything about dyson lol - have u got any decent notes mate
Hey bud, Ive never studied the Robin chair, however a chair i am familiar with is the Panton Chair by Verner Panton his design is absoloutley flawess again, is reflected of a iconic design due to the shape, colour and material used at the time. He orginailly used fiberglass but due to breaking under tension, he had to use polyproplene instead. This would be a great example to talk about the possibly development in material, manufacturing methods, colours etc. You could also mention the B32 chair by Bauhaus. It is great chair to study in term of applying bauhaus principles such as, Form follows function, everyday object for everyday people, geometrically pure and a machine age.

In terms of notes, i would research alot into your choosen product the more you know about it, the BETTER. the more specific detail you can give the more marks you can obtain in term of relating it back to the question. My D&T teacher said " always give a context" and " always think a food technology person is marking your paper, so make it really simple and context".

Hope that helps mate !
Reply 9
Hey bud, Ive never studied the Robin chair, however a chair i am familiar with is the Panton Chair by Verner Panton his design is absoloutley flawess again, is reflected of a iconic design due to the shape, colour and material used at the time. He orginailly used fiberglass but due to breaking under tension, he had to use polyproplene instead. This would be a great example to talk about the possibly development in material, manufacturing methods, colours etc. You could also mention the B32 chair by Bauhaus. It is great chair to study in term of applying bauhaus principles such as, Form follows function, everyday object for everyday people, geometrically pure and a machine age.

In terms of notes, i would research alot into your choosen product the more you know about it, the BETTER. the more specific detail you can give the more marks you can obtain in term of relating it back to the question. My D&T teacher said " always give a context" and " always think a food technology person is marking your paper, so make it really simple and context".

Hope that helps mate !

yh man - thanks for u help - what r ur predictions for this lolll
Original post by Trilo9y
yh man - thanks for u help - what r ur predictions for this lolll

Well, personally after looking through the past papers on AQA, I have a feeling;

. Development in Technology within radio players, cd players, mp3 etc
. Product Life Cycle
. Patented and Copyright of products
. Work of past and present designers and historical influences
. possibly, sustinablility and eco design, sustainable design
. Possible communication of design methods. ( Presentation Boards, Mock Ups, Prototypes, Mood Board, Orographic Drawing etc)

Wbu man? In all honesty i am ****ting my ****ing boxers for this exam, i only need 22 UMS to get a B overall. Since i got 84/85 on my coursework. dropped 1 mark on communication. To get an A i need something like 42. Which is just half the marks.
Reply 11
Well, personally after looking through the past papers on AQA, I have a feeling;

. Product Life Cycle
. Possible communication of design methods. ( Presentation Boards, Mock Ups, Prototypes, Mood Board, Orographic Drawing etc)

Wbu man? In all honesty i am ****ting my ****ing boxers for this exam, i only need 22 UMS to get a B overall. Since i got 84/85 on my coursework. dropped 1 mark on communication. To get an A i need something like 42. Which is just half the marks.

Wow u did good man
My product design teacher gave me a D in AS coursework and C/D in A2 coursework - i need to get an A in this exam to get a C overall :/

The only reason i got a D in AS Coursework was because I was ill and at hospital most of the time - so i missed lessons

But i know i wont be able to get an A - just too hard :L
Original post by Trilo9y
Wow u did good man
My product design teacher gave me a D in AS coursework and C/D in A2 coursework - i need to get an A in this exam to get a C overall :/

The only reason i got a D in AS Coursework was because I was ill and at hospital most of the time - so i missed lessons

But i know i wont be able to get an A - just too hard :L

I worked my ****ing ass off at A2, i thought the more i put in the less exam stress, since exams let me down. I was 1 mark of an A overall from AS so i got a B was 160 for a A i got 159. Dont revise for this or sit the exam with negative feelings thoughts you going to fail, go in thinking positive thourghts think you can do it. Positive thoughts result in positive outcomes. Im sure youve experienced that before. I sure have. So, just knucle down with revision, this exam is pretty hard in comparison with AS. but, thats whole jump from AS to A2 there not gonna make it easier to get your required grades for uni or work etc.
Reply 13
I worked my ****ing ass off at A2, i thought the more i put in the less exam stress, since exams let me down. I was 1 mark of an A overall from AS so i got a B was 160 for a A i got 159. Dont revise for this or sit the exam with negative feelings thoughts you going to fail, go in thinking positive thourghts think you can do it. Positive thoughts result in positive outcomes. Im sure youve experienced that before. I sure have. So, just knucle down with revision, this exam is pretty hard in comparison with AS. but, thats whole jump from AS to A2 there not gonna make it easier to get your required grades for uni or work etc.

yh man - i worked so hard at A2 aswell - cus im getting better healthwise - but my teacher says its only C/D standard :/ - so gutted.

I made a laptop table - and its rlly good - but i dno my teacher is a bit weird - hes so unfair - he gave us deadlines - i finished before deadline

other people finished afterwards and told them they got A - :/
Original post by Trilo9y
yh man - i worked so hard at A2 aswell - cus im getting better healthwise - but my teacher says its only C/D standard :/ - so gutted.

I made a laptop table - and its rlly good - but i dno my teacher is a bit weird - hes so unfair - he gave us deadlines - i finished before deadline

other people finished afterwards and told them they got A - :/

thats abit hars and unfair on the teacher. I finished my product months before the deadline. I was called a product design stalker at one point. I made a Lego themed childrens drawing desk, to encourage my brothers child to draw more. It went perfectly in his Lego room. My portfolio was 101 pages though. Plus there is only 2 other people in my class of which are girls.
Reply 15
thats abit hars and unfair on the teacher. I finished my product months before the deadline. I was called a product design stalker at one point. I made a Lego themed childrens drawing desk, to encourage my brothers child to draw more. It went perfectly in his Lego room. My portfolio was 101 pages though. Plus there is only 2 other people in my class of which are girls.

oh thts kwllll man - just rlly hope this exam is good.
Ive got 3 exams on 1day.. got economics and psychology in afternoon too
thats why im stresssd atm
Original post by Trilo9y
oh thts kwllll man - just rlly hope this exam is good.
Ive got 3 exams on 1day.. got economics and psychology in afternoon too
thats why im stresssd atm

****, ive been stressed over exams and aiming high. Just chill dont over do the revision, at the end of day we are all human and we need adequate breaks the more you cram your revision the less you know. You need to give your brain time to absorb the information you've learnt. So, the way I revise is i start at about 9 or 10 o clock in the morning and i do 20 mins then a 3 min break then same again for about 2 hours then repeat it again etc. Dont let stress affect your revision, i know its easier said that done. But, just relax and chill. At the end of the day its not the end of the world if you dont do as well as you want. You can always resit. Also, the exam might be easier due to the low grade boundaries each year for an A baring in mind to get an A* you need 59 out of 84. So, the boundaries are low due to the essay based format of the exam. You just need to make sure you cover EVERY SINGLE ASPECT of the book and the specification if possible, the more knowledge you know man, the more you can apply it to a question. Showing the examiner you know your subject knowledge. Also, include diagrams next to your information as it will allow you to communicate in a more effective and efficient manner. As the diagrams allow you to obtain marks for the quality and if they are explained in relation with the text. So think to yourself, diagrams and context. Always relate it back to the question. Do not ramble on about something, always keep refereeing back to the question.
Reply 17
****, ive been stressed over exams and aiming high. Just chill dont over do the revision, at the end of day we are all human and we need adequate breaks the more you cram your revision the less you know. You need to give your brain time to absorb the information you've learnt. So, the way I revise is i start at about 9 or 10 o clock in the morning and i do 20 mins then a 3 min break then same again for about 2 hours then repeat it again etc. Dont let stress affect your revision, i know its easier said that done. But, just relax and chill. At the end of the day its not the end of the world if you dont do as well as you want. You can always resit. Also, the exam might be easier due to the low grade boundaries each year for an A baring in mind to get an A* you need 59 out of 84. So, the boundaries are low due to the essay based format of the exam. You just need to make sure you cover EVERY SINGLE ASPECT of the book and the specification if possible, the more knowledge you know man, the more you can apply it to a question. Showing the examiner you know your subject knowledge. Also, include diagrams next to your information as it will allow you to communicate in a more effective and efficient manner. As the diagrams allow you to obtain marks for the quality and if they are explained in relation with the text. So think to yourself, diagrams and context. Always relate it back to the question. Do not ramble on about something, always keep refereeing back to the question.

:redface: 59 for an A* - thats alright - still though ur right - im tryin not to stress but hopefully the right questions come up - check ur pm btw lad.

. Product Life Cycle

I really really want a question about industry!! And I'd love a question on materials and applications! My predictions looking at past papers are:
Industry (hasn't come up since 2011)
Comparing two products (on every paper!)
Workshop tests (2012)
Sustainability (every paper)
Communication methods (not since 2010)
Iconic design (2010)
Original post by morvenrkr
I really really want a question about industry!! And I'd love a question on materials and applications! My predictions looking at past papers are:
Industry (hasn't come up since 2011)
Comparing two products (on every paper!)
Workshop tests (2012)
Sustainability (every paper)
Communication methods (not since 2010)
Iconic design (2010)

Within regards to the paper i dont think they would repeat the questions they put up, they might on this paper but similarly i dont think AQA are going to repeat a question on Iconic design. Ive got a feeling alot of the business element of products is going to come up and the influences of past/present designers. I feel they may say something like " Explain how Art Deco and Modernist movement have influences design and the revolution of products" I hope development of technology comes up since theres so much to talk about for that. Just hope its a easy paper looking at last years paper looked pretty fair. Just hope the same occurs again.

Quick Reply

Latest