The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths Quadratic Equation Help Please

Hi,

I'm pretty sure I'm missing the obvious, but I just wanted to ask anyway. I have to solve a quadratic equation by factorisation, which normally I'm fine with and find easy.

In this particular question, I've factorised it already, it's not that part I'm stuck with. I've ended up with "2 (2c+5)(2c-5) =0".

I normally know what to do next, it's just the 2 outside the brackets that's throwing me off. What do I do about it? I know this will seem like an obvious question but I've done so much maths recently that I think my brain is fried! :biggrin:

Any help very much appreciated. Thanks!
Original post by zymey
Hi,

I'm pretty sure I'm missing the obvious, but I just wanted to ask anyway. I have to solve a quadratic equation by factorisation, which normally I'm fine with and find easy.

In this particular question, I've factorised it already, it's not that part I'm stuck with. I've ended up with "2 (2c+5)(2c-5) =0".

I normally know what to do next, it's just the 2 outside the brackets that's throwing me off. What do I do about it? I know this will seem like an obvious question but I've done so much maths recently that I think my brain is fried! :biggrin:

Any help very much appreciated. Thanks!

It doesn't matter. The 2 outside the brackets makes no difference since it's just a constant, if it helps you can just divide through by it to get (2c+5)(2c-5)=0 if that helps.

Remember that this isn't your original factorized equation and only applies if you want solutions though, in other cases you should leave it in the first dorm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Arithmeticae
It doesn't matter. The 2 outside the brackets makes no difference since it's just a constant, if it helps you can just divide through by it to get (2c+5)(2c-5)=0 if that helps.

Remember that this isn't your original factorized equation and only applies if you want solutions though, in other cases you should leave it in the first dorm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much! That makes sense, I clearly need more practise :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest