The Student Room Group

Need help with a politics question. Having a mare with it!

Can someone please tell me similarities and differences between the UK executive and the Scottish executive. (UK and Scottish Government.) I have to answer the following question - 500 Words

Compare and Contrast the UK and Scottish executives (political power) Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by modules87
Can someone please tell me similarities and differences between the UK executive and the Scottish executive. (UK and Scottish Government.) I have to answer the following question - 500 Words

Compare and Contrast the UK and Scottish executives (political power) Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Hiya, I'm just going to pop this in the Politics forum for you as you're more likely to get a response there. :smile:
Which exam board is this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
damn, that's a mean question for an AS paper!
the only distinctions that come to mind is that
1) the UK executive has the power to enforce legislation in all countries of the UK (scotland included) while the scottish executive can only enforce legislation in scotland specifically
2) scotland has limited executive abilities, as it's parliament has limited legislative abilities; it can execute limited social and economic (and judicial, sometimes, as they've got a different system to us) policies e.g. some taxation policies, tuition fees, etc, but it doesn't have sovereignty like the UK parliament does in the sense that it can make any law it wants and the UK executive can enforce
3) the scottish executive has no royal prerogative powers, while the UK executive does (e.g. it can enforce measures without its parliament's consent)
4) the scottish executive has no influence in international affairs (e.g. foreign policy, defence, treaties, etc) while the UK executive does

hopefully that's some help
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending