The Student Room Group

Going gym by myself?

this may sound stupid but I am 16 and before GCSE's i used to go gym twice a week with a friends about 3 friends but you cant rely on them and they back out a lot. I put it on hold for a while for the exams and thinking to start again but go by myself so i don't have to rely on them and wait for them. BTW i have kinda have social anxiety and worry what people think about me alone

Scroll to see replies

Whenever I go to the gym I go alone and it's fine. Most people in the gym have their headphones in and are just focused on their workout. You'll be fine :smile:
This sort of mentality really frightens me , why is it weird to do anything on your own these days ?
Reply 3
I go alone all the time and it never bothers me
Original post by thuvcasio
this may sound stupid but I am 16 and before GCSE's i used to go gym twice a week with a friends about 3 friends but you cant rely on them and they back out a lot. I put it on hold for a while for the exams and thinking to start again but go by myself so i don't have to rely on them and wait for them. BTW i have kinda have social anxiety and worry what people think about me alone

about 95% of people I see in the gym are by themselves. People don't go to the gym to make judgements or look at people, they're there to work out. Go by yourself, it's the only way you'll get over your anxiety - no one is bothered about you! (I mean that in the nicest way possible:biggrin:)
Reply 5
I also have social anxiety, but the gym is a place where you can work towards a goal and feel good about yourself for doing it. I always go alone because I like having no distractions.
Reply 6
The real question is "Why did you go with a group of friends?"
Reply 7
I think going gym alone or with a group of friends is pointless.
Find one good friend to go with
(edited 9 years ago)
Nothing really wrong with going on your own...I did just that while I was on study leave last year just to release some energy!
I did start off by going with a friend but it doesn't make much of a difference whether you go on your own or not

And as for me going to the gym now, yeah I stopped
I always go to the gym alone. You get more done when you don't have the distraction of chatting to friends
Reply 10

You can make friends at the gym. I always go by myself and see regulars there. I'd say it's a good place to meet people so don't worry.
Nothing wrong with going by yourself. If anything it's considered the norm by most people.
going to the gym with more than 1 person throws the intensity of the workout out the window because you tend to rest more and talk more.

its better to either train alone or with just a partner, no more than one haha

besides, if you want to maybe have a little chat with someone at the gym, there is always someone looking to talk! or chat with the gym instructor

Better to get a full workout on your own then with friends distracting :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
LOL someone's mad. I assume you don't have much or any friends, stop criticizing about grammar on a bloody forum.

"LOL U MAD! U MAD! U SO MAD!" Repeating it doesn't make it true, buddy. And hahaha, criticisms about my social life from the anxious boy who doesn't even have the balls to go to the gym alone.
Original post by BarBaBaBaBarBaBaBa
Looks like bullying introverts is a little hobby you like to have.

Awh, what's the matter, did they do better than you at school?

The whole introvert/extrovert thing is a stupid generalisation that really needs to stop being perpetuated by idiots like you. People are far too complex to be fit into such simple categories, it's almost as ridiculous as "alpha" and "beta". And "bullying" really is a strong term but if I'm upsetting you have you tried praying that I'll go away?? :wink:
Original post by RioFantastic
"LOL U MAD! U MAD! U SO MAD!" Repeating it doesn't make it true, buddy. And hahaha, criticisms about my social life from the anxious boy who doesn't even have the balls to go to the gym alone.

LOL 'anxious boy' best you can come up with and it's obvious you are angry. I've seen your other post and can see your trying to get some attention, sad life really.
Original post by RioFantastic
The whole introvert/extrovert thing is a stupid generalisation that really needs to stop being perpetuated by idiots like you. People are far too complex to be fit into such simple categories, it's almost as ridiculous as "alpha" and "beta". And "bullying" really is a strong term but if I'm upsetting you have you tried praying that I'll go away?? :wink:

Lol. You're not upsetting me at all. I learnt to build a wall of defense against extroverts like you quite a while ago. What's baffling me is why you randomly quoted me on a completely unrelated thread and falsely labelled me as "retarded" (for asking a perfectly valid question) and "shy" (which I never said I was. Introvert and shy are two different things.)

The whole introvert/extrovert thing does exist. Anyone with half a brain can see that. Just as short/tall people exist, just as hard-working/lazy people exist. What's your problem? Get over it. It's not a big deal.
LOL 'anxious boy' best you can come up with and it's obvious you are angry. I've seen your other post and can see your trying to get some attention, sad life really.

You're right, "anxious" was a little weak. I should have tried a hilarious quip like "U MAD?", right?
Original post by BarBaBaBaBarBaBaBa
Lol. You're not upsetting me at all. I learnt to build a wall of defense against extroverts like you quite a while ago. What's baffling me is why you randomly quoted me on a completely unrelated thread and falsely labelled me as "retarded" (for asking a perfectly valid question) and "shy" (which I never said I was. Introvert and shy are two different things.)

The whole introvert/extrovert thing does exist. Anyone with half a brain can see that. Just as short/tall people exist, just as hard-working/lazy people exist. What's your problem? Get over it. It's not a big deal.

Who said I was an extrovert? You called yourself "slow" and couldn't understand a simple joke another poster made even after she explained it once you still couldn't grasp it, maybe "retarded" was a little harsh, I'll edit it to "intellectually challenged" if you like. You made a thread called "praying to remove my shyness", sorry for then being presumptive and calling you shy. See why I called you retarded yet?

Quick Reply