The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel History USA on Monday 2nd June

Anyone doing this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A Divided Union?
Does anyone have any tips to on how to answer each question on USA A Divided Union?
Original post by Transformer_747
Does anyone have any tips to on how to answer each question on USA A Divided Union?

Hey I'm doing this exam too :smile: Main advice: my teacher always says never make assumptions about the sources, you need to back up each point with evidence.
For the inference question you need 2 supported inferences.
For the purpose question I identify the purpose, add some contextual knowledge of my own which relates back to the purpose and then make a supported inference which I link back to the purpose too.
The how useful question is nice, just 2 uses and 2 limitations if each supported with evidence then a conclusion to say which one is best.
For the cross referencing question I make about 3 paragraphs saying which one agrees or disagrees with which, what evidence shows this and how reliable the agreement is.
Similar thing for the final question, just that I start with an intro which briefly states which agree and which don't, followed by a paragraph for each source saying how, why and to what extent it agrees or disagrees. Then finish with a conclusion to say how far all the sources taken together support the statement overall.
Helpful?? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really helpful actually, thanks! Are you ready for this exam then?
Really helpful actually, thanks! Are you ready for this exam then?

That's good, you're welcome!? :smile: Hopefully! It's quite hard to prepare for because it's more about the sources they give you than the actual content you need to know, plus it's only based on 1 of the 4 topics... I'm making sure I have a rough idea of the key things which happened, when and what effects it had.
Hopefully the exam is going to be easy.:smile:
Hi I'm doing this exam too. Does anyone know how to get the source booklets for the past papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also what does "selection and treatment of the source content" actually mean? (looking at q.2)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any predictions for which key topic it will be on? On last year's thread they correctly predicted the women's movement.
Original post by Pradia
Any predictions for which key topic it will be on? On last year's thread they correctly predicted the women's movement.

Based on the last 7 exams, they cycled through topics 1 to 4 and then cycled them again in a different order. The last 3 exams have been topics 1, 3 and 4 so if they follow the pattern it should be topic 2 since they haven't used it twice yet. That said there's no reason why they couldn't repeat one of the others and miss topic 2 completely...
I haven't revised the 4 topics yet because I am going to focus on the sciences but could you remind me of what the 4 topics are (not done unit 3 in class for a while)?
I haven't revised the 4 topics yet because I am going to focus on the sciences but could you remind me of what the 4 topics are (not done unit 3 in class for a while)?

Yeah sure :smile: the first topic is mccarthyism and the red scare, the second is the early civil rights movement, then it's changes in the civil rights movement (including malcolm x and black power) and the last is other movements like the students and women

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't think it will be on women because that came up last year....hopefully it's going to be okay, it's the easiest out of all the history papers :smile:
Original post by LouiseDB42
Based on the last 7 exams, they cycled through topics 1 to 4 and then cycled them again in a different order. The last 3 exams have been topics 1, 3 and 4 so if they follow the pattern it should be topic 2 since they haven't used it twice yet. That said there's no reason why they couldn't repeat one of the others and miss topic 2 completely...

Thanks so much for the predictions! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Can someone please explain how to do the message and purpose question and also do a recap of how to get full marks in questions. I've gone through mark schemes but I'm sill kinda stuck...
Original post by prithika98
Can someone please explain how to do the message and purpose question and also do a recap of how to get full marks in questions. I've gone through mark schemes but I'm sill kinda stuck...

Taken from some resources my school gave me :smile:
This question is not just asking you why the source was made but what message the creator of the source wanted you to know, and what impact/result the creator wanted to happen i.e. the result.

You need to say what the message of the source is and give details from the source to support what you have said.
To get top marks give details about what was happening at the time to support the message of the source.

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by vaguelyambiguous
Taken from some resources my school gave me :smile:
This question is not just asking you why the source was made but what message the creator of the source wanted you to know, and what impact/result the creator wanted to happen i.e. the result.

You need to say what the message of the source is and give details from the source to support what you have said.
To get top marks give details about what was happening at the time to support the message of the source.

Hope that helps :smile:

Thank you so much! Good Luck for tomorrow :smile:
Original post by prithika98
Thank you so much! Good Luck for tomorrow :smile:

You too! :smile:
You guys sure its definitely not going to be "Other Protest Movements in the 1960's" (topic 4)?

Quick Reply

Latest