The Student Room Group

OCR African American Civil Rights 1865 - 1992 (02 June)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Spartz
NA is the topic I'm most struggling on. Could you tell me what exactly was the Reservation policy and was it the same as Dawes Act? Also have you got any good 'links over time' for NA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The dawes act sought to destroy the reservation policy and aimed to assimilate NAs by splitting the land up into allotments so they could be privately owned. The reservation policy is a bit before the course but it was the barbaric herding of natives into specific areas so white settlers could occupy more land.

Links over time...Indian New Deal was a reversal of federal policy, but reversed again in 1953 termination policy. Then reversed again in the presidency of LBJ and Nixon.
Original post by exquisitelyeph
Negative turning points for AA:

*End of reconstruction era with death of Sumner and Stevens and Compromise of 1887 triggering Jim Crow -- the implications of which lasted until near the end of the period with cases like Swann still trying to 'undo' the damage, U.S v Cruikshank and Slaughterhouse case, emergence of KKK in 1865, voting restrictions

*End of 1960s: assasinations of MLK, Malcom X, emergence of black power making white society unsympathetic, damages done to LBJ's 'New Frontier' (taken from JFK's 'great society'), the emergence of affirmative action under Nixon and the ruling of Griggs (can be argued as negative as MLK+Jesse Jackson regarded any kind of discrimination - even positive - as discrimination), the bifurcation of blacks (40% middle class, 30% poverty), beginning of police brutality with Nixon who took a hard line on law and order the implications of which are mirrored in the Rodney King incident in 1991 etc etc

Anyone else think of any more?

I completely agree with the Progressive Era being deemed a negative turning point for Blacks, but I'd be tentative with my analysis of the 1970s onwards. There's certainly evidence that there was less progress made by the 1970s; conservative appointments to the Supreme Court, such as Rehnquist, Scalia, and Thomas, allowed rulings such as Miliken (1974), Reagents of University of Cali (1978) and Freeman (1992) to be passed, which inhibited the process of desegregation. But at the same time you have Marshall who became a Chief Justice in 1967 and Clarence Thomas who was appointed in 1991- both of whom are African Americans themselves, coupled with Jesse Jackson's bids for the Democratic Candidacy, which highlights there was the emergence of a Black Middle-Class. Naturally, after the 1964/65 legislature, there was a natural progression from fundamental issues such as segregation and voting towards things like institutional racism, that the Black Panthers attacked, which were much more engrained in US society and as such more difficult to tackle. It's also interesting that with the Batson ruling (1986) and the Civil Rights Restoration Bill (1998) and 1991 Civil Rights Act that the Equal Protection Clause under the 14th Amendment finally became addressed and therefore groups like the White Citizens Council were far less significant an obstacle as the KKK was in the earlier period because of this kind of legislation. For me, it's really easy to criticise Nixon and the 1970s because less progress was made politically, and it's far less tangible, but the kind of things they were focussing on - confronting Southern racism head on and institutional racism all over the country - were obviously much harder to assess in comparison with the ratification of the 15th Amendment.

I'd also 100% refute that the Griggs ruling was a negative just because Jackson and King felt any kind of discrimination - positive or negative - was wrong. The emergence of the Black Middle-Class is wholly representative of the Jim Crow stereotype being broken by the 1970s and social mobility increasing somewhat. Many blacks benefitted from Nixon's presidency and Carter was also very favourable towards their rights. You also have the CBTU that was present and aided working rights- in contrast with the natural trend of decreasing Union effectiveness in that period.

tl;dr I don't know if this makes sense... basically, I think it's easy to criticise the 1970s because they look so insignificant when aligned with the 1960s- but the aims of the campaign were different by the 70s, and it was much more engrained in US society, which i feel is why there was less tangible process- which is the point of Affirmative Action anyway: to improve social mobility gradually, which I feel was a success.

Obviously I wouldn't argue it was MORE significant that the 1950/60s, or Reconstruction, but I certainly wouldn't say the 1970s were negative completely. Meh, I'm repeating myself.
Original post by Spartz
NA is the topic I'm most struggling on. Could you tell me what exactly was the Reservation policy and was it the same as Dawes Act? Also have you got any good 'links over time' for NA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reservation policy was created in 1851, Dawes act was 1887. The former was advertised as 'protecting Native Americans' within reservations, the latter was intended to encourage assimilation by breaking up tribal land bases and providing land for white settlers. In reality, both were a ploy to get Indians off land so that settlers could have it instead.

Links over time:

1973 wounded knee village takeover - wounded knee massacre 1890 - public support for AIM takeover of wounded knee showing changed societal attitudes, more sympathetic to plight of N.A's

Indian Child Welfare act 1973 - compare to Dawes Act in which Indian children were forcibly taken to boarding schools and subjected to harsh conditions as proof for the shift in federal government policy

Harrison v Laveen - NCAI court case, positive outcome although Indians still sometimes restricted in West - use as turning point as almost all court cases after this had positive outcomes for N.A bar U.S v Sioux nation (still somewhat positive as offered compensation but not what they wanted - land). So N.A taking initiative in terms of appealing to Supreme court = positive outcomes.

Merrion v Jicarilla Apache tribe 1982 - Supreme court rules that N.A's have right to impose taxes on non-Indians conducting business on reservation - compare to Cherokee nation v Hitchcock 1902 in which the Supreme court ruled that Cherokee resources (oil etc) belonged to Fed gov - example of Indians allowed self determination independently of fed gov

Idk how much sense those make, I'll keep adding more as I think of them
Reply 83
Original post by Spartz

Posted from TSR Mobile

This might help a bit - Just found it:
http://www.historytoday.com/andrew-boxer/native-americans-and-federal-government
Reply 84
Has anyone else been told to focus on the fact that the Native American didn't want to be assimilated however the government wanted to force assimilation and on this basis it can only be a turning point if the government has changed their attitudes towards those of the Native Americans for example Indian Self Determination and Education Assistance was a change in attitude thus a turning point.

In regards to NA we have been told to also say that the government were paternalistic in their views and that something provided a stepping stone.

Also at the start of a NA question do an small inter explaining that the NA didn't want assimilation and for women that throughout most of the period they focused on the separate spheres so many of their campaigns had social benefits.
So because TU has come up on the last 4 exams do we think its a safe call to say NA AA and Women are coming up ?
Original post by Sarah-D
Has anyone else been told to focus on the fact that the Native American didn't want to be assimilated however the government wanted to force assimilation and on this basis it can only be a turning point if the government has changed their attitudes towards those of the Native Americans for example Indian Self Determination and Education Assistance was a change in attitude thus a turning point.

In regards to NA we have been told to also say that the government were paternalistic in their views and that something provided a stepping stone.

Also at the start of a NA question do an small inter explaining that the NA didn't want assimilation and for women that throughout most of the period they focused on the separate spheres so many of their campaigns had social benefits.

I think the mark scheme says higher level candidates will show an awareness that not all NAs wanted to be assimilated. It's interesting that by around the 1920/30s, there were divisions in NAs themselves which meant that certain pieces of legislation were more beneficial to those trying to assimilate than those not trying to. For example, the Citizenship Act was positive for Indians seeking assimilation and trying to gain equal rights to "normal" Americans, but it wasn't really significant for those that wanted tribal sovereignty. Similarly, the Red Power movement of the 1970s led to self-determination being a focus of the government, which aided those still on the reservations who wished to practice their tribal religions, but didn't impact upon the assimilated, urban Indians as much- they benefitted from other civil rights legislation from the 1960s. It also shows that the Allotment Policy from Dawes really was significant because it split NAs so much.

That's my understanding of it anyway!
Reply 87
thanks for your help guys !
Do you know what the june 2013 questions were?
Reply 89
Original post by martha_gilman
Do you know what the june 2013 questions were?

1. Opposition of AA Civil rights remained powerful through 1865-1992

2. The 1890s was most significant turning point in TU movement

3. How united were women in pursuit of their CR

(not worded exactly right)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would hope so, do you have access to the question papers as OCR website is confusing?
the June 2013 paper question were
opposition to African American Civil Rights remained powerful throughout the period from 1865-1992. How far do you agree?
Assess the view that the 1890's were the most important turning point in the development of trade union and labour rights in the USA in the period 1865-1992?
How united were women i support of the issue of gender equality in the period from 1865-1992?
Original post by Spartz

Posted from TSR Mobile

thaaaankyou, how you feeling about exam?
Original post by Ferrari94
So because TU has come up on the last 4 exams do we think its a safe call to say NA AA and Women are coming up ?

I hope so. I hate trade unions.
Original post by Paparazzo
I hope so. I hate trade unions.

Same literally haven't revised it or women
I have banked on na and AA coming up such a huge risk tbf
Original post by Ferrari94
Same literally haven't revised it or women
I have banked on na and AA coming up such a huge risk tbf

I think my preferential order would be: women, AAs, NAs, TUs

I haven't revised TUs as much as I have the others. Even if the others are horrific questions I don't think I'll choose TUs over it.
Original post by Paparazzo
I think my preferential order would be: women, AAs, NAs, TUs

I haven't revised TUs as much as I have the others. Even if the others are horrific questions I don't think I'll choose TUs over it.

My offer is AAA but because my teacher has been so **** this year I have opted to hit 2 A* and B
However I worked outs my skin and got A* on cwk (pre moderation) so this is it for me haha
Just stopping in to say good luck tomorrow guys- I hope you get the questions that you want :smile:
Original post by Spartz

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reply 99
Original post by martha_gilman

I think I'm ready, I haven't revised NA much but I'm pretty sure that AA and Women will come up and I'll do em regardless. I'll even do TU ahead of them but like I said before I reckon TU will be missed this year.

Wbu?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending