The Student Room Group

Maths Project

Hi,

At the moment I'm completing a Maths project..

I have to do an experiment on ''Do children's shoe sizes increase with age''

I have to stat whether my findings are Hypothesis or Null Hypothesis.

I have collect shoe sizes and ages from 40 different children age ranging between 10 and 16 years.

I now have to display my data using charts, graphs e.c.t

So far, I have completed a tally chart a bar graph and a line graph.

For both the bar chart and the line graph I labelled y as shoe size and x as age. Then I worked out the mean for each age group and then displayed it on the graph..

It doesn't really display much the graph is up and down.

How else can I display this date?
Correlation ?
Reply 2
Original post by Old_Simon
Correlation ?

displaying each size for each age?

or just as an average?

I want something that displays something clear..
Reply 3
I dont know what level you are, but a product moment coefficient and/or regression line could be nice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Krollo
I dont know what level you are, but a product moment coefficient and/or regression line could be nice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, also I need to display my data as a percent. As in percent for how many children's shoe's did get bigger with age and how many didn't.

How would I work this out?
Reply 5
Doing a scatter graph with a regression line / trend line / line of best fit would be the way to go, and you should also calculate correlation.

However, for a project like this it's very important that you follow the criteria for what to put in. So if it asks for a certain type of graph then include that as they would give marks for it.

Original post by fliss1992
Thanks, also I need to display my data as a percent. As in percent for how many children's shoe's did get bigger with age and how many didn't.

How would I work this out?

That doesn't really make sense to calculate - what is the exact requirement they are asking for?
Reply 6
That doesn't really make sense to calculate - what is the exact requirement they are asking for?

I need to show my data as a percentage as well as displaying it in graphs, tables, diagrams..

So how would I work it out as a percentage?
Reply 7

I need to show my data as a percentage as well as displaying it in graphs, tables, diagrams..

So how would I work it out as a percentage?

I suppose one approach you could take is to say that among children in a certain age range, a certain percentage had shoe sizes above a certain level, but in a higher age range a greater percentage had shoe sizes above that level. Then say that this supports your hypothesis.
Reply 8
OK, but then how would I work out the percentage I need to include in that?
Reply 9
OK, but then how would I work out the percentage I need to include in that?

I can't really give you step by step instructions, but here is an idea of what you could calculate using example data:

age shoe
8 2
9 3
9 4
10 6
12 6
13 6
13 7
14 7

Then suppose you take your age ranges as "below 11" and "11 and above".

In the "below 11" age range we have sizes 2, 3, 4, 6.

In the "11 and above" age range we have sizes 6, 6, 7, 7.

So one thing we could say is that in the "below 11" range, 25% of people surveyed had shoe sizes 6 or above. But in the "11 and above" range, 100% of people surveyed had shoe sizes 6 or above. This supports the hypothesis that shoe size increases with age.
Math project is one of the very important part of your study. So I would like to tell try to take it serious.
Original post by mathtutoronline
Math project is one of the very important part of your study. So I would like to tell try to take it serious.

Could you team up with Englishtutoronline before making your next post? Thanks.
Reply 12
Original post by Mr M

Dear Mr M,

Could you advise me in the best possible way how I need to calculate the percentage of each child's shoe size that got bigger with age?

I chose 30 children ranging from 10 - 16 years. My problem is not knowing where to start calculating to get my answer.

Thanks.
Original post by Mr M

Hahahahaha I am dead
Dear Mr M,

Could you advise me in the best possible way how I need to calculate the percentage of each child's shoe size that got bigger with age?

I chose 30 children ranging from 10 - 16 years. My problem is not knowing where to start calculating to get my answer.

Thanks.

The best way to address your hypothesis would be to draw a scatter graph of age against shoe size. You should spot a positive correlation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/maths/statistics/scatterdiagramsrev2.shtml
Reply 15
Original post by Mr M
The best way to address your hypothesis would be to draw a scatter graph of age against shoe size. You should spot a positive correlation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/maths/statistics/scatterdiagramsrev2.shtml

Hi,

I've done a scatter graph for correlation as you mentioned before. After looking at the picture of the one for the link you gave, mine is completely different?

Mine go across horizontally and then go up instead of in a sort of diagonal line?

Quick Reply

Latest