The Student Room Group

AQA Comp 3 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by pleasedtobeatyou
Here's the a revision guide I found and my own personal notes (these are a bit more concise).

Thank you , gl tomorrow :smile:
Reply 81
Absolutely losing my mind over this exam tomorrow, none of our teachers are trained to teach this and we're the first year doing it for A-Level so I feel far too out of my depth.

Does anyone have any brilliant websites which can help with the real numbers topic? I've never been a maths kind of girl and it's the one topic I've struggled to get for the past two years haha
Reply 82
Original post by nikkstar
Absolutely losing my mind over this exam tomorrow, none of our teachers are trained to teach this and we're the first year doing it for A-Level so I feel far too out of my depth.

Does anyone have any brilliant websites which can help with the real numbers topic? I've never been a maths kind of girl and it's the one topic I've struggled to get for the past two years haha

Are you familiar with standard form? ie representing 620 as 6.2 x 10^2

I find it really helps to think of it like that. What part of it exactly are you struggling with? Maybe we can work through an example together or something.
Reply 83
The bit which loses me is the Floating point to Denary and denary to floating point, I've read so much about it and practiced so many times but there's something which isn't just sticking in my head.
Reply 84
The bit which loses me is the Floating point to Denary and denary to floating point, I've read so much about it and practiced so many times but there's something which isn't just sticking in my head.

Hmm okay. I'd send you a link or something to help you out but I don't know of any good ones. Maybe try typing it into youtube? I've done that with a few other topics and managed to find some good videos.

Do you have an example that you don't understand that we can work through? I find it's best to use examples and apply the knowledge that you already know.
Reply 85
As soon as I posted that I headed over to youtube and I think finally after two years something might be clicking!

Great minds think alike eh! :wink:
Reply 86
As soon as I posted that I headed over to youtube and I think finally after two years something might be clicking!

Great minds think alike eh! :wink:

Yesssss you go girl! Well done :smile:
Reply 87
Does anyone reckon we'll have to know much about the different types of operating system? Seems like an awful lot to learn for something that may not come up...
Reply 88
Original post by Razzon
Does anyone reckon we'll have to know much about the different types of operating system? Seems like an awful lot to learn for something that may not come up...

There are a lot of things that don't come up every year but I'm still revising everything just in case. It's tempting to just go on predictions and relying on what usually comes up but you wouldn't want it to come back and bite you on the a** :P
Keywords/definitions on this exam are the worst/most difficult part imo
Has anyone made a June 2014 thread for AQA COMP3?
Reply 91
Original post by Razzon

Personally I'd say just learn the basics like some key words to associate with each because then if they do come up you'll have something to bump your memory :smile:
Reply 92
Original post by MikePembo951
Keywords/definitions on this exam are the worst/most difficult part imo

Yup, I agree. I just hate learning definitions. A lot of this exam is just regurgitating paragraphs from the textbook which is not cool.
Has anyone made a June 2014 thread for AQA COMP3?

You're in it! :wink:
Original post by wintersa
Fair enough, it's good to stay local :smile: local hardly applies to me though, I live in London so moving to Edinburgh will be quite a long way! It's by far one of my favourite cities. I applied for Cognitive Science (but the more techy one, not the humanities one)

That's a massive change! Will you know anyone up there? That sounds daunting!:eek:
Reply 95
Original post by DanielCook95
That's a massive change! Will you know anyone up there? That sounds daunting!:eek:

I met a few people when I went up there for a post-offer open day and a few people from my school are probably going there. I'm not too fussed about making friends, should be fun :biggrin: I'm really looking forward to it
Original post by DanielCook95
You're in it! :wink:

thread header says June 2013 .... nm
Reply 97
thread header says June 2013 .... nm

Yeah we hijacked it :wink: How're you feeling about tomorrow?
all the practical questions e.g. real numbers, databases&sql, ipaddresses/subnetmasks, writing oop class diagrams, tracing algorithms, etc i'm fine with. Just hate long answer questions and definitions.

I've practiced all the long answer questions that have come up in past papers and just memorised the steps/sequences e.g. digital signatures, pge, csma/cd etc. Just hoping there isn't gonna be a long answer question on a really obscure topic/something that hasn't come up before.

Also I really don't like the operating systems section - it's just memorising definitions and my memory is pretty terrible
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 99
all the practical questions e.g. real numbers, databases&sql, ipaddresses/subnetmasks, writing oop class diagrams, tracing algorithms, etc i'm fine with. Just hate long answer questions and definitions.

I've practiced all the long answer questions that have come up in past papers and just memorised the steps/sequences e.g. digital signatures, pge, csma/cd etc. Just hoping there isn't gonna be a long answer question on a really obscure topic/something that hasn't come up before.

Also I really don't like the operating systems section - it's just memorising definitions and my memory is pretty terrible

I think they tend to do long answer questions on unpredictable topics, although there haven't been that many past papers so we can't really predict what it'll be. CSMA/CD would be nice but I think they've done that before. I'm probably being really dumb but PGE?!?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending