The Student Room Group

Mini-pill advice

I've just started on the mini-pill and been told I have to take it at the exact same time every day and not take the week off for my period that I had to take when I was on the normal pill. My problem is that I'm going to Florida in a month and the time difference means I can't take the pill at my normal time (it'd be too unrealistic), what should I do? Should I just take it when I can for the time I'm there for? Or should I just not bother taking it when I'm out there and restart it when I get back? (I'm not going to have sex when I'm out there because my boyfriend won't be there, but I don't want to restart everything again when I get back)
Reply 1
Which one is it? Cerazette has a 12 hour window so if its that you'll be able to take it earlier/later than normal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by gemmam
Which one is it? Cerazette has a 12 hour window so if its that you'll be able to take it earlier/later than normal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's Cerelle :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
It's Cerelle :smile:

Best to ask your GP but as someone said above cerazette have a twelve hour window so could be similar.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Yes you should always take it at the same time. Usually this is just for consistency - you're less likely to miss it if you always use it just after your alarm goes off at 7pm.

My mini pill has a 12 hour window. Some have only a 3 hour window, I've not personally seen any that have less than 3 hours. Google your pill and see what your time slot is.

Then you could try moving your time by an hour each day (or each other day) until you reach an hour in the US daytime before your holiday.

Personally I would call my local family planning/sexual health clinic and ask if you can have some advice over the phone or if you can pop in to see a nurse for 5 mins. This is usually better than calling your GP as they have more time and they know everything there is to know about your pill and have every bit of information to hand right there.

Some people are a little worried about going into a clinic - don't worry they're often attached to a normal health surgery so people don't have to know what you're up to!
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by donutaud15
Best to ask your GP but as someone said above cerazette have a twelve hour window so could be similar.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It says in the leaflet that if you miss one you can take it up to 12 hours late and still be protected, would that mean I could take it 5 hours out of my normal time for 2 weeks and still be okay? (If that makes sense?)
I'll probably call my GP tomorrow some time and ask them
Reply 6
Original post by Fuzzpig
Yes you should always take it at the same time. Usually this is just for consistency - you're less likely to miss it if you always use it just after your alarm goes off at 7pm.

My mini pill has a 12 hour window. Some have only a 3 hour window, I've not personally seen any that have less than 3 hours. Google your pill and see what your time slot is.

Then you could try moving your time by an hour each day (or each other day) until you reach an hour in the US daytime before your holiday.

Personally I would call my local family planning/sexual health clinic and ask if you can have some advice over the phone or if you can pop in to see a nurse for 5 mins. This is usually better than calling your GP as they have more time and they know everything there is to know about your pill and have every bit of information to hand right there.

Some people are a little worried about going into a clinic - don't worry they're often attached to a normal health surgery so people don't have to know what you're up to!
Posted from TSR Mobile

I googled it and it said that I should take it the same time everyday, but if I miss it I'm still protected up to 12 hours later, would that make it okay if I take it 5 hours later when I'm out there? 'cause technically that's within the 12 hour gap..
Reply 7
I googled it and it said that I should take it the same time everyday, but if I miss it I'm still protected up to 12 hours later, would that make it okay if I take it 5 hours later when I'm out there? 'cause technically that's within the 12 hour gap..

Probably, although I would work it by a few hours so that you're not that much out of sync for the few weeks. It's unlikely to make much of a difference tbh (I take my pill later when I'm on holiday as I get up about 4 hours later lol, it still works). But I'm obviously on a different pill.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It says in the leaflet that if you miss one you can take it up to 12 hours late and still be protected, would that mean I could take it 5 hours out of my normal time for 2 weeks and still be okay? (If that makes sense?)
I'll probably call my GP tomorrow some time and ask them

That sounds fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest