The Student Room Group

Need opinions and advice/help deciding on my final/firm choice at Greenwich

I'm not really sure how to decide which course I should take because I'm falling in the middle of many choices.

My two friends that are also going to Greenwich are taking the view that Computer Science is a very strong and desired subject which is broad and allows you to progress on to nearly all the IT fields.

I've looked at the Computer Science degree and I'm heavily put off from all of the different programming units.

I seem to naturally dislike programming, with the little I've done of it, I can't say I strongly enjoy the idea of doing many years with mostly programming based units.
The weird thing is, the final, third year looks like you can opt to move away from programming a lot more than the first two years and do things I'm more interested in, such as UI design, modelling, website creation etc.

I have been given a conditional offer to the Computer Science course, however I've been given conditional offers to both Computing with Games Development, and better yet, Computing with Digital Media.

I went to many of the open days which allowed you to trial what some of the courses were like at Greenwich.

They grouped Computing and Computer Science courses into one area, and both Computing WITH or just solely based Games Development/Digital courses in another.

The games and digital media option seemed a lot more fun and interesting, we were working on a Unity based game, it was simple but interesting, while the computing/computer science was quite boring, collecting data and displaying it in one of those word charts based on how many times that word has been used.

My heart is telling me I should avoid doing Computer Science, as it would be three years of pain. (Four if you include the sandwich year.)
Logic just dictates to me that despite getting a decent GCSE in maths, I've never been confident with it, especially algebra nor programming.

Computing also seems to include a fair amount of programming too, but not as much as Computer science.

So what should I do, I want a strong degree, with a good level of job potential but not doing something I hate all the time, which I would think is pretty standard and logical.

The choices I could choose from are:

General Computing Degrees:

Computer Science
Computing
Computing with Digital Media
Computing with Games Development

Multimedia Degrees:

Creative Digital Media
Multimedia Technologies
Games Design and Development
Web Technologies

My current tutors have told me to steer clear of doing pure Games and Media courses because of the low employability, high risk and short term contracts, while some of the lecturers at Greenwich have advised me against taking Computer Science and Computing courses because of my tendency to dislike programming and maths, and my friends are advising me to take it some what, because it leads to more than just programming positions and career routes if you get through it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending