The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamestg
I support both Private and State education. I go to state, although being constantly pestered by my parents to go private. My state school has the same opportunities as private and extremely good grades - I felt it was bad value for money to go to an almost identical school for only a gain in status.

If I have a well paid job I will send my children to private school, because they deserve a good education. I would like them to go to top schools like Harrow and then onto Oxbridge/Russell Group if they want to do that.

It's interesting that some parents let the children choose, i'm not sure i could do that.

I agree with you though. I'm state educated myself (pretty average ranking i think) and from a poor background but i'll be disappointed if my children are not in a grammar or private school and they'll damn well be getting private tuition on top.
Original post by Rakas21
It's interesting that some parents let the children choose, i'm not sure i could do that.

I agree with you though. I'm state educated myself (pretty average ranking i think) and from a poor background but i'll be disappointed if my children are not in a grammar or private school and they'll damn well be getting private tuition on top.

At the end of the day, it's the kid who's going to be spending 5 years there. Even though I'd be just as happy there - £5,000 per term just to say I went to a private school wouldn't be worth it. If the private school was genuinely better than the state schools around - obviously I'd (and my parents) would put the foot down. But if the schools are similar - it should be the kid who decides.

My parents could see why I thought it was pointless, and in the end they agreed. Instead they put some of the money away they were going to use in ISAs for university - so it's worked out quite nicely!

I completely agree with you on getting the best education possible for your children!
Original post by strawberrysnow
I go to a private school but we're normal people. We all have tk revise and do our homework like you so stop hating on us. And no, most people at university aren't actually from private schools so get your facts right. And most people who were privately schooled are normal and not snobby. Please stop stereotyping. Are you actually at university yourself and have all the people you met at uni been cocky? I do not think so.

And actually, no matter how good the school is, if the student does not put in any effort, then he or she will not get the desired grades. It's not like our teachers can take our exams for us...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I went to private school. The kids were snobby - it's just most of them didn't realise this. One reason was many of them didn't even realise there was any other kind of social system. For instance when you say "We all have to revise and do our homework like you" you're missing the bigger picture. The whole thing was when I was in a state school nobody cared if I did my homework much let alone if I did it well. For many years when I was in the state system there was NO homework which I thought was great! but you are of course competing against privately schooled children who are pushed all the time when it comes to exams who's parents make them revise at machine gun point or hire a man to shout at them when they fail. When they fail questions are asked. In the lower of echelons society this just doesn't happen -there are in many cases no expectations at all. This is in many senses a class issue. It probably shouldn't be but it is. The state school I was in before private school was okay but it was basically run by the civil service and it felt like it. The public school was run by well meaning emotionally suppressed institutionalised ex Oxbridge graduates who worked where they lived and were in many cases completely cut off from real life and were completely mental. The inverted snobbery is a mirror of the snobbery. No one should have to pay for primary or secondard education - it should be free at the point of need like the NHS. Some people say I'm a dreamer...
(edited 9 years ago)
I go to a private school. I work my ass of everyday to earn as much money as possible we don't get straight As easily. My parents are struggling for money we are not rich we we are under payed and I feel so angry and upset when ppl judge us. You don't know how it feels I've had endless nights crying my eyes out because of money problems my parents want me to have a good education. :'(
Ignorance
Original post by DiddyDec
We all have different experiences from school whether it be private or not. I never experienced any form of bullying nor have I ever witnessed it happening.

at my private school there was only bullying witnessed once in year 7, as these girls were new to the private school sector, but literally a couple of hours with the school nuns and these girls were good as new, they didn't dare speak down to anyone after. literally by the time you're in year 9 because classes are smaller, my school only had 300 girls, so you practically become each other's best friend :smile:
"my parents are working class, my dad worked for a Qatari airline and my Mother is a beauty consultant"

They're middle class
Original post by djsjhskaj
I go to a private school. I work my ass of everyday to earn as much money as possible we don't get straight As easily.

Going to private school seems pretty pointless then.

Original post by djsjhskaj
My parents are struggling for money we are not rich we we are under payed and I feel so angry and upset when ppl judge us. You don't know how it feels I've had endless nights crying my eyes out because of money problems my parents want me to have a good education. :'(

You know you can just go to a state school, work hard and get straight As there. Or do you just feel more entitled to a better education than everyone else?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by isaaccharles
I have come across several people on TSR who constantly hate private schools and claim that privately educated people don't work hard for A*s. But why all the hate?

i hate private schools and anyone who actively goes to one i despise. i am brought up in a terribly poor environment, and even though i was offered a full bursary to go to a very good one, i refuse as i would simply become part of the bourgeoise. how is it fair that one should have access to a better standard of education because of their parent's wealth (who, let's admit it, probably didn't even earn it themselves)

****ing posh *****
I have come across several people on TSR who constantly hate private schools and claim that privately educated people don't work hard for A*s. But why all the hate?

Wow, are people really hating on private schools? That is wrong in my opinion, I believe many who go to private schools are fortunate and lucky! . I guess many people are jealous that they have the support as many state schools, from my experience, the teachers do not care about you. For instance, I once asked my ICT teacher how to achieve an A* and my teacher began claiming that I think that I am 'better' than everyone and that I shouldn't work hard as there is 'no point'.

See what I mean? I believe anyone who achieved an A* has worked hard for it so there is no need for hate!:smile:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Its only real crackers that hate private schools. To someone from a Indian or Nigerian background, NOT spending as much as possible on an offsprings education would be considered extremely odd.
People who dislike private schools mostly do so through jealousy and ignorance in my experience.

What amuses me is when grammar schools get lumped in with private schools.
Original post by guntby
Going to private school seems pretty pointless then.

You know you can just go to a state school, work hard and get straight As there. Or do you just feel more entitled to a better education than everyone else?

i like you
Tbqf if most whites had actually planned their lifestyles a bit better, had stayed off the Sky Sports and delayed their family planning beyond their teens they too would be able to send their kids there. Many Patels practically take a second mortgage to put their kids through the fee paying system.
I think being able to go to a private school is just lucky and tbh when I'm a parent I think if I could afford to I'd send my kids to private school because parents just want the best for their children. I think people are also forgetting that there's plenty of people with loads of money that go to state schools, it's all about what people choose to spend their money on, many people think a private education will give someone the best chances and particularly for 'naughty' students a private school will often force them to become more mature whilst they'd be lost in the system of a bigger state school, all comes down to the individual and whilst obviously it's expensive and not everyone can afford it, a lot of the time people could afford it they just choose not to because it might not he best for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Usually the students are pretty rude and snobby.
http://www.opinionpanel.co.uk/2016/06/07/does-private-school-make-you-better/ An article on private schools from a state students stance! Please give it a read; I welcome all feedback, positive and negative!

Perhaps the fact that private schools have almost better means for teaching and better conditions for doing good lessons with good quality. And this fact causes jealousness among people. Just an assumption of myself.
I don't know why people get jealous of those private schooled, some of them still end up at 'crap' uni's like UCLan regardless of all the money spend on their education. Their parents might aswell not have bothered and put them in a comprehensive.
In other words: private schools are overrestimated and go for nothing and are just a waste of money in your opinion?

Latest

Trending

Trending