The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Studying Management at LSE but I want to apply to Law. Would LSE allow it?

Hi! My question is does LSE accept students from a different major studying at LSE? I study management but want to apply to law since I have discovered that I will be better doing this. Do you think that's even possible?
Reply 1
Why oh why are you asking this on here when it would take you 2 seconds to ring the Law deptartment and get a definitive answer.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by Xyloid
Why oh why are you asking this on here when it would take you 2 seconds to ring the Law deptartment and get a definitive answer.

Why oh why are you wasting my time when your response isnt the least useful to me and irrelevant?
Original post by kyraemma
Hi! My question is does LSE accept students from a different major studying at LSE? I study management but want to apply to law since I have discovered that I will be better doing this. Do you think that's even possible?

Well Law at LSE is A*AA, and management is AAB so...you'd atleast have to get the grades

You mean change before you start? No.January 15th was the last chance to try for this, except for courses which are relatively undersubscribed,and at the LSE these are few and Law is not one. http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/InformationforOfferHolders/FAQs.aspx

There are provisions at the LSE for changing course (typically at the end of year one) but there is no requirement for the department to which you want to transfer to take you. They will consider on the basis of year one results, and are very wary of encouraging backdoor entry to hugely popular courses.

However, the problem with specifically Law is that the first year course includes some of the elements required for a qualifying Law degree, and you would not have done these. http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/calendar/programmeRegulations/undergraduate/LLB.htm

I'm thnking it is going to be impossible, then. And that your best chance for getting an undergraduate Law degree is to re-enter the application process.
Reply 5
Why oh why are you wasting my time when your response isnt the least useful to me and irrelevant?

Because I enjoy putting people with the common sense of a dried out apricot in their place.

The very fact that you go to LSE just demonstrates how one doesn't need intelligence in order to do well. Just hard work.
Reply 6
Original post by cambio wechsel
You mean change before you start? No.January 15th was the last chance to try for this, except for courses which are relatively undersubscribed,and at the LSE these are few and Law is not one. http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/InformationforOfferHolders/FAQs.aspx

There are provisions at the LSE for changing course (typically at the end of year one) but there is no requirement for the department to which you want to transfer to take you. They will consider on the basis of year one results, and are very wary of encouraging backdoor entry to hugely popular courses.

However, the problem with specifically Law is that the first year course includes some of the elements required for a qualifying Law degree, and you would not have done these. http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/calendar/programmeRegulations/undergraduate/LLB.htm

I'm thnking it is going to be impossible, then. And that your best chance for getting an undergraduate Law degree is to re-enter the application process.

Can I re-enter the application process while studying full time at another course then?
Can I re-enter the application process while studying full time at another course then?

Do you know, if you had only said "thanks" I'd probably have done still more of the legwork for you.

As it is, I start to wonder after your reasons for thinking that you would be "good at the law", which discipline consists in large part of the drudgery of investigating the terms and provisions of regulation.
Reply 8
Original post by Xyloid
Because I enjoy putting people with the common sense of a dried out apricot in their place.

The very fact that you go to LSE just demonstrates how one doesn't need intelligence in order to do well. Just hard work.

And the very fact that youre an online nuisance to people demonstartes how poor your emotional intelligence is. I cant be bothered with you.
Original post by Xyloid

I feel you bro.
Reply 10
Original post by cambio wechsel
Do you know, if you had only said "thanks" I'd probably have done still more of the legwork for you.

As it is, I start to wonder after your reasons for thinking that you would be "good at the law", which discipline consists in large part of the drudgery of investigating the terms and provisions of regulation.

:smile: I apologize I appreciate your response really. I am just a little confused now. Sorry really. Well believe me my friend that's what I am trying to figure out nowadays finding a path for myself and trying to minimize the possibility of any future regrets. Thanks again!
Rather than switching to law now, you could study the GDL (one year law conversion course) after you finish your current degree course. Might be less of a waste of your time than dropping out and reapplying.

But I would second comments above - if you are at LSE then talk to LSE about your options. Only they will know if you have any options at all. Meet with your tutor.
Original post by Xyloid

But thing is, his response is actually a bit useful and relevant. He's saying you should call on Law department and there's basically no point asking here.

It's true really, only the Law department at LSE can give you an answer. If the TSR members say "no not possible" and you don't bother contacting LSE themselves, you've completely lost an opportunity.

If you give them a ring, they may just believe you appear enthusiastic and decide to make an exception and let you in.

Unfortunately, this is a world where we have to ask and grab the opportunities - LSE staff aren't looking at your TSR profile and don't know that you want to change course.
Reply 13
Original post by Olympiad
But thing is, his response is actually a bit useful and relevant. He's saying you should call on Law department and there's basically no point asking here.

It's true really, only the Law department at LSE can give you an answer. If the TSR members say "no not possible" and you don't bother contacting LSE themselves, you've completely lost an opportunity.

If you give them a ring, they may just believe you appear enthusiastic and decide to make an exception and let you in.

Unfortunately, this is a world where we have to ask and grab the opportunities - LSE staff aren't looking at your TSR profile and don't know that you want to change course.

I havent decided I am just doing a preliminary research before I actually take action.
I havent decided I am just doing a preliminary research before I actually take action.

Honestly, you are wasting your time researching - the clock is ticking!! Just call them up and ask if it's a possibility.
Reply 15
Original post by Crumpet1
Rather than switching to law now, you could study the GDL (one year law conversion course) after you finish your current degree course. Might be less of a waste of your time than dropping out and reapplying.

But I would second comments above - if you are at LSE then talk to LSE about your options. Only they will know if you have any options at all. Meet with your tutor.

Thank you for your response I will look into that :smile:
since I have discovered that I will be better doing this.

I'm interested to know what you have discovered about yourself or the experience you have had that makes you think this.. what is this you are talking about? Criminal law? Property law? Being a barrister instead of a CEO?

To get into LSE means you must be good at what you do so I'd recommend sticking with Management and considering your options afterwards.

To practice law on Wall Street as a private equity lawyers or mergers and acquisitions means having an economics degree and then you have to do the Juris Doctor so I'd recommend that route.
Reply 17
And the very fact that youre an online nuisance to people demonstartes how poor your emotional intelligence is. I cant be bothered with you.

I'm a nuisance for asking you why you cant just contact the Law department ?

If you couldn't be bothered then you wouldn't have replied.

What a joke you are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending