The Student Room Group

Ombre tips/products

I am considering ombreing my hair this summer but after seeing so many ombre disaster posts I would like as much info on it as possible before going ahead. Any products, tips, advice, etc. Also, do you think my hair is long enough and will suit it? I've attached a photo.
picture043.jpg
(Just came back from comic con where I've been wearing heavy make up and fake scars so my face is skin is atrocious hence blacked out.)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I wouldn't recommend using any ombré kits like the L'Oreal ombré kit, since your hair is brown. A bleach is definitely more reliable.
The brand of hair bleach you use isn't as important as the Volume. Every box of bleach you find will have a Volume ranging from 10 to 40 - this indicates the concentration of hydrogen peroxide.
For brunettes, it's important to know that you probably won't get the results you want the first time. This is because the first bleach application is likely to make your hair ginger. Your hair will only go blonde if you bleach it for a second time on top of the ginger, like I did with my hair.
So, I would recommend using a Volume 30 bleach. A lot of girls use the hair teasing method to apply the bleach for ombre, but I think that this is messy. The best way to create a natural blend from your natural colour to tje ombre is by combing the bleach into your hair. Apply some bleach to a comb, and then run this from where you want the ombre to begin. After yhis, you can apply the rest of the bleach to the ends of your hair with your hands (wearing gloves).
Leave for up to an hour. Maximum two hours. When you wash it out, your hair should be ginger. Wait a week and then apply bleach again, but this time only to the absolute ends - leaving some ginger hair at the top. Same method again (using the comb to create a blend between ginger and start of blonde) then wash out after just over an hour. This should hopefully give you a ginger and blonde ombré effect, however, bearing in mind that your hair is brown at the moment, it might take more than an hour for the bleach to work.
Also, ensure that the bleach stays wet throughout the whole setting time (reapply throughout the hour if you have to) - all dyes and bleaches become ineffective once dry.
Edit: I've just noticed that you have a slightly shorter layer of hair at the front (around your face) - apply bleach to the ends of these so they can become ginger, but don't apply bleach a second time on these (they should stay ginger not blonde)
(edited 9 years ago)
I would recommend getting it done by a professional.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A lot of what Petulia has said is very good and helpful, but I think that for two applications you're better off using 20vol bleach each time and not exceeding one hour each time, or your hair will most likely fry. Also, use lots of deep conditioning treatments during the time in between.

To keep the bleach wet, as Petulia advises, wrap the hair in clingfilm (do lots of separate wraps if needed).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I have really dark brown hair and I ombre'd it myself using the L'oreal wild ombre kit. Tbh before starting, I was terrified it wouldn't blend, it would go blonde (I wanted a light brown), it would dry my ends, or I would have the dreaded block colour effect.

I bought the one for darkest hair, mixed it up, it is basically bleach so it will bleach your hair. As per the instructions, I seperated my hair into two and brought each side forward in front of my shoulders so I could see it. Then, I used the brush and applied the mixture where I wanted it. When it came to blending, I just used my fingers to smooth the bleach in. It says leave in for 25-45 minutes so after 25 mins, I was conscious that I didn't want it blonde, so I scraped off a little of the mixture and saw my hair was perfectly lightened. Then I left it in for a few minutes longer and washed it out.

It actually turned out great, at first it was a little bright but that totally settled down. Plus, my hair is curly so you couldn't even see the distinction between the ombred bit and the normal hair, it was a smooth, subtle transition. Tbh, if you don't want to go to a salon, I would try the L'oreal wild ombre because it worked for me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest