The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

University of Reading Halls 2014

Sup peeps,

Wanted to ask, in the process of choosing halls and was wondering which of the on-site halls are good and which ones are bad? Which are the large ones and the small ones? Is it worth going catered and if so, do you save a significant amount compared to self-catered?

Reading is my firm choice for Pharmacy 2014 entry so I'm assuming there are other people in similar situation if people have put Reading as their firm choice.
There's no such thing as "good" and "bad" halls - it all depends on what you're looking for and on the people you live wth, but if you don't like it, you can always ask to be moved. Also, it's not necessary if one hall is social this year to be the same next year as well... Childs, Stenton and Mackinder are basically the same for the inside, and are so close to each other that it does not really matter where exactly you live in regarding the vicinity to the buildings. I have no idea which hall is bigger and which is smaller, but the premium en-suites are usually different blocks 3-5 floors, with 2 or 3 flats on each floor, the flats have 8 or 10 rooms, depends. If it's important to you, just check the accommodation website, I think that it was written over there how many rooms has each hall.
I am self-catered and I know some people that are catered... well, it depends really on what you want. I can't cook very well, but I preferred it because it's cheaper for me to buy groceries from Asda or Tesco or whatever for 2 weeks for less than the money that the catered students have on their card for a week... if you're not catered, you can always buy things from the eating places if you want to. The problem with the catered as far as I know is that they have only microwave in their kitchens, so it's not very convenient if you want to make something sometimes, but again, there's no right answer, everyone looks for different things, but personally, I think that it's cheaper for the self-catered, at least it is cheaper for me that way - but it depends on your lifestyle and eating habits as well.
If you want to ask anything in particular about the halls, feel free to write me, good luck! :smile:
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by CherryCrush
There's no such thing as "good" and "bad" halls - it all depends on what you're looking for and on the people you live wth, but if you don't like it, you can always ask to be moved. Also, it's not necessary if one hall is social this year to be the same next year as well... Childs, Stenton and Mackinder are basically the same for the inside, and are so close to each other that it does not really matter where exactly you live in regarding the vicinity to the buildings. I have no idea which hall is bigger and which is smaller, but the premium en-suites are usually different blocks 3-5 floors, with 2 or 3 flats on each floor, the flats have 8 or 10 rooms, depends. If it's important to you, just check the accommodation website, I think that it was written over there how many rooms has each hall.
I am self-catered and I know some people that are catered... well, it depends really on what you want. I can't cook very well, but I preferred it because it's cheaper for me to buy groceries from Asda or Tesco or whatever for 2 weeks for less than the money that the catered students have on their card for a week... if you're not catered, you can always buy things from the eating places if you want to. The problem with the catered as far as I know is that they have only microwave in their kitchens, so it's not very convenient if you want to make something sometimes, but again, there's no right answer, everyone looks for different things, but personally, I think that it's cheaper for the self-catered, at least it is cheaper for me that way - but it depends on your lifestyle and eating habits as well.
If you want to ask anything in particular about the halls, feel free to write me, good luck! :smile:

Hi! I was wondering whether or not you could give me some info about Childs, Stenton and Mackinder halls... I want to apply for the premium en-suite room and I don't know which hall to put as my top choice. I was thinking about Childs, since it seems to be the newest. Any feedback?

Thanks for your help:smile:
Original post by nikipontelli
Hi! I was wondering whether or not you could give me some info about Childs, Stenton and Mackinder halls... I want to apply for the premium en-suite room and I don't know which hall to put as my top choice. I was thinking about Childs, since it seems to be the newest. Any feedback?

Thanks for your help:smile:

Hey there, I'd be glad to help.
I've lived in Stenton, now I'm in Mackinder and one of my friends is in Childs - they are literally the same from the inside, the only difference is that in Stenton the chairs are green, and in the other two they are orange (not a big difference, really). They are really close to each other and are relatively on the same distance from the academic buildings, so personally, I think that it doesn't really matter in which hall of these three you'll live, because I've lived in two different places and it was the same. As a matter of fact, Childs was my 1st preference, but they gave me my second, Stenton, at the beginning, but I told you, I have a good friend that lives in Childs, and there's no difference.
The premium en-suite itself is nice, because you have your own bathroom, and I really preferred it because I wanted to be alone in my bathroom wow.
Hope that makes things clear for you, if I can be of any further help, just ask :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by CherryCrush
Hey there, I'd be glad to help.
I've lived in Stenton, now I'm in Mackinder and one of my friends is in Childs - they are literally the same from the inside, the only difference is that in Stenton the chairs are green, and in the other two they are orange (not a big difference, really). They are really close to each other and are relatively on the same distance from the academic buildings, so personally, I think that it doesn't really matter in which hall of these three you'll live, because I've lived in two different places and it was the same. As a matter of fact, Childs was my 1st preference, but they gave me my second, Stenton, at the beginning, but I told you, I have a good friend that lives in Childs, and there's no difference.
The premium en-suite itself is nice, because you have your own bathroom, and I really preferred it because I wanted to be alone in my bathroom wow.
Hope that makes things clear for you, if I can be of any further help, just ask :smile:

THANKS SOOOOO MUCH :smile: You have helped me a lot ! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending