The Student Room Group

A2 DT Product Design: Graphic Products 6GR03 3rd of June

Just wondering if anyone has any revision notes on this subject or maybe a link to website that does. Also any predictions on the high marker questions would be welcome!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Glad someone has started this conversation! I honestly think this subject is so hard to revise for - the mark scheme is completely different to the text book so there isn't much useful resources and every time I do a paper I am always puzzled and end up just guessing and making up answers! I have actually been through all the papers - and noticed that NOTHING is ever repeated so far - so don't know why they would this year! I wrote a list of things that haven't come up yet - some include:
the advantages and disadvantages of LPG, bioethanol, Compressed natural gas, hydrogen and electricity - all of which could be a big question at the end. Also, only the advantages of smart glass has come up, so pretty much and smart materials could crop up. Modernism hasn't really come up in any paper yet, and the only designer that has been questioned about is Raymond Loewy - so could be any designer really. Nothing has come up on the grades of paper eg de inking grades etc, and nothing on AGV's. There is a lot, I could go on - i just wouldn't expect any questions on past papers to come up again! But if anyone has any revision tips - the text book really doesn't seem like much help and it talks a load of rubbish! I have also seen the grade boundries pattern - 2010 low (68% A*), 2011 moderate, 2012 low and 2013 quite high - so my predictons are that most people will find this paper quite hard possibly - so grade boundries could be lower. It's just a matter of constantly asking yourself - POLLUTION? EMPLOYMENT? DEVELOPMENT TIMES? GLOBAL WARMING? Also always state the OBVIOUS and repeat yourself if necessary. If the exam asks for a disadvantage for example, and it is worth 2 marks - say the point but BACK IT UP - even if it means repeating yourself or statements in the actual questions! Think with a simple mind, it gets you further!
Hope this helps!
:smile:
You are absolutely right. The book and spec is wayyyyy too outdated and the book is utter sh¡t. Example "benefits of ISDN" answer "fast connection, wide bandwidth". Are they raking the p? 128kbps is not fast or enough bandwidth try loading (not watching) YouTube XD

Some questions are repeated with slight wording changes but the marks and answers are nearly completely different.

Oh BTW edexcell your paper should be called designing from the past to the present.

Good luck to us.
Reply 3
Seriously disliking the mark scheme because after doing past papers and regurgitating information from the text book, the mark scheme answers are completely different and sometimes they don't even include those points!
I was wondering, do examiners go by the mark scheme exactly or is there more of a leeway?
Reply 5
Original post by saltedcaramel
I was wondering, do examiners go by the mark scheme exactly or is there more of a leeway?

I have been told by my teacher that apparently when they mark the papers they are all in a big conference room, and the chief examiner does everything his way- which is the mark scheme- however, other people marking the exams debate about answers and say well look this answer is in the text book and is right so they should get the mark even if the mark scheme says it's not an answer; so you will probably do a lot better than you thought! Which is always a plus :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by edexcell legit P
You are absolutely right. The book and spec is wayyyyy too outdated and the book is utter sh¡t. Example "benefits of ISDN" answer "fast connection, wide bandwidth". Are they raking the p? 128kbps is not fast or enough bandwidth try loading (not watching) YouTube XD

Some questions are repeated with slight wording changes but the marks and answers are nearly completely different.

Oh BTW edexcell your paper should be called designing from the past to the present.

Good luck to us.

so true! It is really outdated and the book talks utter ****e! It's just a load of gobbledygook! QRM, lean manufacture and JIT are ALL the same! So why have different sections! PDM and ERP are also the same! Haha so if you forget one you can easily make it up! I'm really nervous though!
Reply 7
Original post by GraceYux
Seriously disliking the mark scheme because after doing past papers and regurgitating information from the text book, the mark scheme answers are completely different and sometimes they don't even include those points!

I totally agree...what we need to do is literally put the simplest straight forward answers and more complex ones as well! Fill the page I always find that there is PLENTY of time in the exam to take your time and relax! I mean one one paper it asked for the function of a chair and you got a mark saying you can sit on it...I mean how ridiculous! :confused:
I was looking over papers before and came across this.

"Enjoy failure and learn from it. You can never learn from success."
Discuss how this philsophy relates to the successful design of a product.

This worries me....
Although I would talk about James Dyson :s
What would you do?
I look forward to burning my "revision" book on Tuesday night. Piece of s**t. They seem to love wording the questions really weirdly now so it takes a while to break down how the hell I can get 28 marks from that one little sentence.
Reply 10
Original post by ellefoster
I was looking over papers before and came across this.

"Enjoy failure and learn from it. You can never learn from success."
Discuss how this philsophy relates to the successful design of a product.

This worries me....
Although I would talk about James Dyson :s
What would you do?

Write about philipe stark! He says that it's better to make a creative mistake than to make a boring but safe piece! So he follows philosophies like expression, retro styles, geometric bright colourful and personal products- he's even named his! Humour and form swallows function, hope this helps!
Seeing things that people are putting here I am even more certain I shall fail :biggrin: That 1 week of theory our teachers gave is definitely makes me feel prepared for 50% of my A2 grade!
Reply 12
Original post by AlphaDog0127
Seeing things that people are putting here I am even more certain I shall fail :biggrin: That 1 week of theory our teachers gave is definitely makes me feel prepared for 50% of my A2 grade!

I have studied the book in depth and it's still hard! Is there anything you are struggling with that I might be able to help you with? I can fire quick facts on any topics, it will help me to revise too! :smile:

all the best :smile:
Original post by LB117
I have studied the book in depth and it's still hard! Is there anything you are struggling with that I might be able to help you with? I can fire quick facts on any topics, it will help me to revise too! :smile:

hmmm everything? lol

a few facts for regulations and legislation would be awesome
Original post by LB117

I get so confused by technology push/pull (bare in mind I have revised myself and taught myself a brand new subject after having only 5 theory lessons :frown:

Has anyone got any predictions?!
Reply 15
Original post by AlphaDog0127
hmmm everything? lol

a few facts for regulations and legislation would be awesome

Is that for the edexcel exam? Cos that's the board I'm on for a2 and I don't think we study regulations or legislation? :smile:
Original post by LB117
Is that for the edexcel exam? Cos that's the board I'm on for a2 and I don't think we study regulations or legislation? :smile:

I'm quite sure we do. I could be wrong, what makes you think we don't?:confused:
Original post by LB117

lucky you :frown: My brain wants to cry because of the amount of stuff I need to know. We get a choice of 6 questions so there's no telling what will come up and the questions are entirely essay based :mad:
Reply 18
I get so confused by technology push/pull (bare in mind I have revised myself and taught myself a brand new subject after having only 5 theory lessons :frown:

Has anyone got any predictions?!

Ok so pull technology makes everything run smoothly, one by one in a steady manner, and once a product is done, it's taken away and distributed, and the process reacts only to if there is customer demand. So if lots of people want toothbrushes, then they can make high volumes, but if they don't, then it's not a problem and they don't have huge bags of toothbrushes lying around! Push technology uses predictions, so the manufacture will say, oh I think in June there is going to be a high demand for toothbrushes, let's make one million. And then when it comes to june and there isn't a high demand of toothbrushes, they have loads of stock and no one wants to buy it, so it's pretty pointless. So lean manufacture uses pull technology so that there isn't loads of stock waiting around, so there is a reduction in storage costs too and everything runs smoothly. Hope that helps and sorry if I have confused you more! It's easier to explain with an example :smile: also prediction wise- I'm thinking ERP? And possibly paper grades, smart materials and agvs :smile:
Reply 19
I'm quite sure we do. I could be wrong, what makes you think we don't?:confused:

Well I've gone through the whole edexcel textbook and I don't think I've seen that in there! I could be wrong though! :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest