The Student Room Group

Applying to a UK medical school with A2 grades of A*A*B?

Hi guys, im currently in year 13 about to sit my final exams for my A2 subjects.
I study Chemistry, Biology and French. I am hoping to reapply to medicine after being unsuccessful this year..
If i were to get A* in French, A* in Chemistry but a B in Biology would i be able to apply to medicine courses in the UK even though the grade requirements are for the most part AAA..? Surely A*A*B is stronger than AAA?
I do meet the GCSE requirements btw.. with 6A*s A 3BS..

Thanks..
Reply 1
Overachieving in one area does not outweigh another in most cases. I would seriously suggest dropping anything non-essential and focusing everything on getting at least an A in all subjects. Will make your life much easier.
Reply 2
No - you really must have that A in BIology. Most applicants will have some A*s - makes no difference. If you finish up with a B, there are a few places that will accept resits, although most require extenuating circumstances - you do not want to have to rely on that, and the options are very limited. I cannot emphasise enough - put everying into getting that A now, even if it means missing the A* in your other subjects
I do remember Keele saying on their open day that they give A*AB offers or AAA, maybe if you had extenuating circumstances other unis may be more lenient, I have heard Bristol give AAB offers sometimes.... :smile:
I doubt your GCSE's meets all medical school req

AAA is AAA, must get it all.
Original post by s.v
Hi guys, im currently in year 13 about to sit my final exams for my A2 subjects.
I study Chemistry, Biology and French. I am hoping to reapply to medicine after being unsuccessful this year..
If i were to get A* in French, A* in Chemistry but a B in Biology would i be able to apply to medicine courses in the UK even though the grade requirements are for the most part AAA..? Surely A*A*B is stronger than AAA?
I do meet the GCSE requirements btw.. with 6A*s A 3BS..

Thanks..

I got into Keele with A*AB :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Strikesthirteen
I got into Keele with A*AB :smile:

Was that an offer they made or you got in with those grades...?
I got in to Keele with A*AB. I had to sleep with a lot of people though. They made me do terrible things...
Original post by Zorg
Was that an offer they made or you got in with those grades...?

I got those grades last year and got an unconditional offer this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Strikesthirteen
I got those grades last year and got an unconditional offer this year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough. Well done.
You could try e-mailing med schools, though I suspect their answer will be vague.

Its possible.

Quick Reply

Latest