The Student Room Group

Psychology in University of Surrey or in University of St. Andrews?

Hi,
I know the rankings of both universities. St. Andrews is in 7th and Surrey is in 8th. So I was wondering which one is better?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Both pretty good universities, but don't trust league tables. St. Andrews has a 600 year history and a stronger reputation as a whole, if that helps your decision. Visit both if possible, to see where you'd feel happy for 3 years. University reputation isn't as important for psychology, as for say law.
Also check the program's structure and the department...those are very important factors for your final choice!!
I have the impression that surrey has a stronger reputation and a better uni in the research in the field of psychology even that st andrews is better in whole...
(edited 9 years ago)
They are both pretty good, and have a placement year. I think it will be more about which one you feel more comfortable at.
Reply 4
Both have good education program. They both have nearly the same but Surrey's website does not give as much information about practical work as St. Andrews. That's why St. Andrews practical work looks better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Civil Dispute
Both pretty good universities, but don't trust league tables. St. Andrews has a 600 year history and a stronger reputation as a whole, if that helps your decision. Visit both if possible, to see where you'd feel happy for 3 years. University reputation isn't as important for psychology, as for say law.

St andrews would be a four year course because of the scottish system, although i think it is possible to skip into the second year. That's another year of debt, or another year of university fun (depending on how you look at it).

Original post by Lord Asriel
They are both pretty good, and have a placement year. I think it will be more about which one you feel more comfortable at.

does st andrews have a placement year? I didn't when i applied (or at least that not that i know of).

I think in the end, St Andrews has the "reputation", but without people who have first hand experience of both unis it would be hard to tell if the teaching is really better at either university. St Andews is a world-renowned centre for Animal (evolutionary comparative) psychology if your interested in that though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by uns11
Hi,
I know the rankings of both universities. St. Andrews is in 7th and Surrey is in 8th. So I was wondering which one is better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

St. Andrews cause you'd be with me and I'm amazing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by susanalbumparty
St andrews would be a four year course because of the scottish system, although i think it is possible to skip into the second year. That's another year of debt, or another year of university fun (depending on how you look at it).

At Scottish universities, 4th year is entirely free for UK students, so that shouldn't be a factor to consider.
Original post by Civil Dispute
At Scottish universities, 4th year is entirely free for UK students, so that shouldn't be a factor to consider.

Are you sure? I tried to google the answer, according to the BBC you pay for four years at edinbourgh

Either way, another year of undergraduate studies is another year of paying for accomodation (which i imagine is not cheap in St Andrews), and in that time you could get a real masters (not a honourary St andrews one :P) or research experience or work experience which would make you more employable.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-23279868
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-23279868
Original post by uns11
Hi,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, where did you study ultimately MSc Psych conversion? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest