The Student Room Group

The Fifth Option

For dentistry, you put down four unis that you want to study dentistry at, and then a fifth back up choice. (I think this is the case)

So I was wondering, is physiotherapy a legitimate choice for a back up as biochemistry etc. doesn't really interest me. Also, say I was applying to Cardiff for dentistry, could I also apply to Cardiff for physiotherapy???
bump
Original post by joejoejoejoe
bump

In my opinion physiotherapy would be a legitimate choice for 5th option but an unwise or wasted one. Undergraduate physiotherapy is massively over subscribed and I doubt whether you would get an interview with a dentistry personal statement, relevant work experience etc.
I personally think its a good idea for your 5th (alternative subject) to be at the same Uni as one of your main 4 because the admissions officer will know that you are keen to study at their uni because you have also applied for a dentistry course there. You could choose any subject that you think you would enjoy.
If you are undecided about your 5th option you can always leave it blank. Then, if you are unsuccessful for dentistry and don't want to re-apply then you can always apply through UCAS EXTRA for other courses and send the admissions tutor a revised personal statement geared towards the course you apply for. This would be a good idea if you are undecided about your 5th choice and want to defer the deliberation and decision.
Hope this helps answer your questions!
Original post by lois griffin
In my opinion physiotherapy would be a legitimate choice for 5th option but an unwise or wasted one. Undergraduate physiotherapy is massively over subscribed and I doubt whether you would get an interview with a dentistry personal statement, relevant work experience etc.
I personally think its a good idea for your 5th (alternative subject) to be at the same Uni as one of your main 4 because the admissions officer will know that you are keen to study at their uni because you have also applied for a dentistry course there. You could choose any subject that you think you would enjoy.
If you are undecided about your 5th option you can always leave it blank. Then, if you are unsuccessful for dentistry and don't want to re-apply then you can always apply through UCAS EXTRA for other courses and send the admissions tutor a revised personal statement geared towards the course you apply for. This would be a good idea if you are undecided about your 5th choice and want to defer the deliberation and decision.
Hope this helps answer your questions!

There isn't an interview for physiotherapy I think but this has been helpful. Would I be able to email the uni and ask whether I could send a second personal statement as my first one will be fairly pro-dentistry???
Original post by joejoejoejoe
There isn't an interview for physiotherapy I think but this has been helpful. Would I be able to email the uni and ask whether I could send a second personal statement as my first one will be fairly pro-dentistry???

Oops didn't appreciate that you don't have to interview for physiotherapy at Cardiff - I just assumed you did because I know other unis including Birmingham, Southampton, ManMet do interview for physio..... sorry!

Think you idea is a good one - if you send the physio admissions tutor a second, more targeted second personal statement it shows you are genuinely interests and not just filling the 5th Option box - also you can demonstrate why you are would be an excellent candidate. Although physiotherapy is over subscribed you have nothing to lose and it is a really good back up choice - after all, like dentistry, it combines passion for anatomy/science with a hands on career as a health professional. Might be worth contacting physio admissions tutor? could speak to them if you go to a Cardiff general open day (I think that often the dentistry open days are scheduled for a different date than the open day for other subjects at Cardiff)

Quick Reply

Latest