The Student Room Group

Should private health care be legal?

I don't believe that it should, as it creates a link between the worth of a human life and that human's material wealth.

What do you think?
If we made it illegal people would just go abroad, so it wouldn't change anything, it would lose loads of jobs, cost more as they'd start using the NHS... there's a reason that no one really proposes this. Same with private schools (which I'd be much more inclined to close)

I see your point, but even if it was practical, it's too authoritarian anyway. I mean say there's a cancer drug that is too expensive for the NHS, you're going to lock people up for buying it, have them die in prison instead? Rich people pay tax for the NHS and don't use it- it isn't a bad deal.

By your principle, shouldn't the NHS operate all around the world? Otherwise, aren't you creating a link between nationality and worth of life?
Reply 2
I disagree.

Say you have two people, A and B.

A: Dossed around in school, never really bothered, works 30hrs a week. No family, doesn't care about much in life.

B: Worked hard in school, got a good job that pays enough for private medical. Has a wife and two kids that he supports, cares about his life, especially due to the fact that he supports his wife and children.

Are you telling me that it's not right that B should have access to private and therefore better medical care?
Yes i believe it should be legal :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by It'sIrrelevant
I don't believe that it should, as it creates a link between the worth of a human life and that human's material wealth. What do you think?
Im not going to let everyone watch me when I go to the doctor?
It is legal and should remain that way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
using the non-aggression principle, yes, it should be totally legal
as long as nobody's liberty is being directly negated and no harm is being inflicted, there is nothing immoral about it
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't agree with private health care as a concept but I also don't favour overly restrictive controls. I would prefer to change attitudes than availability I think.
We'll always have the NHS as a default base health system, why ban private healthcare?
It seems rather silly to cut off a 'better' product on the basis that not everyone can afford it. Particularly when it doesn't do the NHS any harm, and those who pay for private healthcare also pay for everyone else's NHS via their taxes.

"Sorry, not everyone can afford this, so you'll have to die"

Would you give up the NHS? Bearing in mind it's not 'free' at all (being funded by the taxes of a wealthy nation), and is far better than anything in the developing world. Or is it OK for us to have that, because you get to use it?
Original post by Mankytoes

By your principle, shouldn't the NHS operate all around the world? Otherwise, aren't you creating a link between nationality and worth of life?

Good point, and I agree with Georgie_M that it'd be better to change attitudes.

I'd never really thought about it before, suppose I was wrong :smile:
I don't understand the premise of this argument.

How exactly does the amount you pay determine the worthiness of your life?
Of course it should be legal, that's a silly Q
Original post by DorianGrayism
I don't understand the premise of this argument.

How exactly does the amount you pay determine the worthiness of your life?

If you're wealthier, you can pay for better treatment than someone who isn't wealthy and you've got a better chance of recovering from serious illnesses, but I've already said that I suppose it'd be better to change people's attitudes and improve the NHS
Original post by It'sIrrelevant
If you're wealthier, you can pay for better treatment than someone who isn't wealthy and you've got a better chance of recovering from serious illnesses, but I've already said that I suppose it'd be better to change people's attitudes and improve the NHS

Ok.

That is just stating a fact. What does that have to do with the worth of a human's life? Just because you can pay more doesn't make your life more worthy.

I don't really understand why it would be better to change people's attitudes either. As long as rich people pay their taxes and limit their use of the NHS, it leaves more care available for everyone else.
Original post by DorianGrayism
Ok.

That is just stating a fact. What does that have to do with the worth of a human's life? Just because you can pay more doesn't make your life more worthy.

I don't really understand why it would be better to change people's attitudes either. As long as rich people pay their taxes and limit their use of the NHS, it leaves more care available for everyone else.

Yeah, well, that's a good point.
I disagree with the idea of private healthcare, but I suppose that's the best we're going to get.
I don't think that private healthcare should be illegal- if people have worked hard to earn money and so can afford it why shouldn't they use it?
Another thing to consider is that if there was no private healthcare was available then all the people who currently use private medical treatment would have to use the NHS, and the NHS can't really cope with any more demand.
However, I definitely think the NHS should be improved to narrow the gap in standards between NHS and private, but that is a whole different issue.
Original post by Georgie_M
I don't agree with private health care as a concept but I also don't favour overly restrictive controls. I would prefer to change attitudes than availability I think.

In what sense? You can't possibly expect people to stop buying private health care?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending