The Student Room Group

Advanced Highers 2014/2015

Hi everyone,
I've just started S6 after sitting my 3 highers (media, history and English) and 2 int 2's (maths and biology). This year I will be doing higher modern studies, AH history, higher biology and higher music. Should I be doing another AH? I want to study law at uni and I was wondering if only doing 1 AH will compromise my chances of getting into uni.
Thanks
Original post by tdan22
Hi everyone,
I've just started S6 after sitting my 3 highers (media, history and English) and 2 int 2's (maths and biology). This year I will be doing higher modern studies, AH history, higher biology and higher music. Should I be doing another AH? I want to study law at uni and I was wondering if only doing 1 AH will compromise my chances of getting into uni.
Thanks

If you're applying to Scottish universities then AHs don't matter too much. The best person to ask are the admissions staff at the universities you're interested in. Drop them an email and see what they say. I would say you're fine with what you've set on doing. :smile:
Reply 2
Adv highers don't matter only do the adv higher if you are interested in the subject otherwise do more highers
Reply 3
Original post by Ecosse_14
If you're applying to Scottish universities then AHs don't matter too much. The best person to ask are the admissions staff at the universities you're interested in. Drop them an email and see what they say. I would say you're fine with what you've set on doing. :smile:

Thanks. Would you say I've got a lower chance of getting a conditional from Edinburgh because of my 3 highers in 5th year?
Original post by tdan22
Hi everyone,
Thanks

Next year I'm doing:
Advanced Higher English
Advanced Higher History
Higher Modern Studies
Higher Biology
Higher Art & Design

This year I've just sat:
Higher English
Higher History
Higher German
Higher Geography
Higher Administration

Which went well, thank god!

I'm also wanting to study Law (scots&english) or LLB law with Business Economics at Glasgow Uni so that I can see what subject is to my preference :smile: where are you thinking of studying? I think your subjects are fine for uni, I don't think they really care about AH so I wouldn't put yourself into too much if you want an easy sixth :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tdan22
Thanks. Would you say I've got a lower chance of getting a conditional from Edinburgh because of my 3 highers in 5th year?

You'd likely get a conditional provided the personal statement is up to scratch and you get good grades in ur subjects, it does really depend on the grades. If you got CCC then I don't know what they'd offer tbh but if it's more of AAB or AAA then you'll have a good chance I presume

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by GeschichteJunge
You'd likely get a conditional provided the personal statement is up to scratch and you get good grades in ur subjects, it does really depend on the grades. If you got CCC then I don't know what they'd offer tbh but if it's more of AAB or AAA then you'll have a good chance I presume

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope my chances to get a conditional from Edinburgh - Law with International Relations - are good because I think I got at least AAB for my Highers this year. Do you know if universities like Edinburgh take into consideration trilingual students when it comes to conditionals?
Original post by tdan22
I hope my chances to get a conditional from Edinburgh - Law with International Relations - are good because I think I got at least AAB for my Highers this year. Do you know if universities like Edinburgh take into consideration trilingual students when it comes to conditionals?

I'm not sure, I'm at a school where the program "LEAPS" links closely to Edinburgh so that often gives our students a good chance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are Edinburgh's minimum conditions not something like AAAAA at Higher in 5th Year? Of course it will depend on the course and such, but that's the impression I was under. Look at their website; it'll tell you minimum conditions and many uni websites also tell you the "typical offer" they give to most students who get conditionals.
Original post by AmisThysia
Are Edinburgh's minimum conditions not something like AAAAA at Higher in 5th Year? Of course it will depend on the course and such, but that's the impression I was under. Look at their website; it'll tell you minimum conditions and many uni websites also tell you the "typical offer" they give to most students who get conditionals.

AAAA but the "minimum entry requirement" is BBBB but I'm sure on various circumstances they accept BBB. It definitely seems like it all depends on your school, I know it sounds strange but they definitely are more lenient to those schools in poorer areas so the typical entry requirement changes:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by GeschichteJunge
AAAA but the "minimum entry requirement" is BBBB but I'm sure on various circumstances they accept BBB. It definitely seems like it all depends on your school, I know it sounds strange but they definitely are more lenient to those schools in poorer areas so the typical entry requirement changes:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

AAAA/BBBB over two sittings?
Original post by tdan22
AAAA/BBBB over two sittings?

I'm assuming just the one sitting, for two it'll be more.
Reply 12
Original post by greenladybird
I'm assuming just the one sitting, for two it'll be more.

That's odd. My guidance teacher told me that it's usually AABB over two sittings. Strathclyde and Glasgow ask for more.
Original post by tdan22
That's odd. My guidance teacher told me that it's usually AABB over two sittings. Strathclyde and Glasgow ask for more.

From the Edinburgh website for Law (minimum entry requirements)

SQA Highers: BBBB by the end of S5 or BBBBB/ABBB from S4–S6.
I wish Edinburgh done the dual qualifying degree 😭😭😭😭😭😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest