The Student Room Group

Less than minimum wage, cash-in-hand job. Is it illegal??

Hi,

I've been looking for a job for ages and in desperation I handed my CV to a few stores near where I live. I know most of these places tend to be quite dodgy, but I just want to find something to do.

A few stores told me come in for a trial day, but for various reasons I declined. I received a call from another store earlier today and then went in to see the owner regarding the job. The owner said he will pay me £25 per day for 8 hours work. It is only 2 days a week, although he may offer me more days later on.

I’ll be better off claiming JSA, but if I do this at least I'll have something to put on my CV, instead of doing nothing. I'm sure I can claim income-based JSA, to make up the difference, so I think I won't be worse off.

The job is cash in hand, so I'm not sure if tax is paid or if I'll have to pay it after. Is this illegal?? Sorry, I'm a bit clueless about these things! :redface:

I have been told to come in for a two-day trial, which is unpaid, this weekend. Also, I have been told that the owner will hold 4 days pay in-case I leave. Is all this normal?? I've never been employed before so I'm unsure.

Should I go for the job, just for the experience if nothing else, or should I give it a miss?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The whole deal is illegal. The job, the terms, the rates of pay, and almost certainly the taxation. You almost certainly wouldn't have to pay income tax - but your stamps are not paid, and it sounds most unlikely that the shop will be paying employer's NI.

I would also consider whether or not it would be of any use as a reference.

It's up to you - you can accept a job with bad news written all over it - but at least it's money - but you can hardly have any complaint if it goes wrong. Are you seriously going to take your "employer" to the ET?
I would not want a job like that on my cv.
My two cents.
My friend did something similar. Her boss stole her bike then made her buy a new one from him.
Original post by ***^***
Hi,

I've been looking for a job for ages and in desperation I handed my CV to a few stores near where I live. I know most of these places tend to be quite dodgy, but I just want to find something to do.

A few stores told me come in for a trial day, but for various reasons I declined. I received a call from another store earlier today and then went in to see the owner regarding the job. The owner said he will pay me £25 per day for 8 hours work. It is only 2 days a week, although he may offer me more days later on.

I’ll be better off claiming JSA, but if I do this at least I'll have something to put on my CV, instead of doing nothing. I'm sure I can claim income-based JSA, to make up the difference, so I think I won't be worse off.

The job is cash in hand, so I'm not sure if tax is paid or if I'll have to pay it after. Is this illegal?? Sorry, I'm a bit clueless about these things! :redface:

I have been told to come in for a two-day trial, which is unpaid, this weekend. Also, I have been told that the owner will hold 4 days pay in-case I leave. Is all this normal?? I've never been employed before so I'm unsure.

Should I go for the job, just for the experience if nothing else, or should I give it a miss?

all of it is very bad, any work you do, even training or 'trials' should be paid at at least minimum wage and they must pay you for everything you work regardless of whether you leave (since you wont have a contract you wont be obliged to give notice)

you will never earn enough to pay tax at £25 a day anyway but the whole situation is very dodgy, I imagine you will end up being completely taken advantage of (and probably not even paid the £25 most of the time) and, like others have said, your employers skimps on the stuff they are meant to be paying

you couldn't claim income based JSA I dont think because as soon as you declared what you were doing they would know you're working under illegal conditions

I second the fact that I doubt working there will get you a reference or anything like that, you'd do better volunteering in a charity shop or something and to be honest I would report this owner because he will be treating all his employees like that and it isn't right at all
Reply 5
Original post by ***^***
Hi,

Who cares? legal and illegal should not be the sole way you live your life. Think about if you need the money or not? do the job no harm done dude... you are not hurting anyone.
Original post by whydoidothis?
I would not want a job like that on my cv.
My two cents.

better than nothing

op take the job
Its definitely illegal and he's paying you like £3 an hour - not even close to the minimum wage (less than half of it). I wouldn't bother with the job - maybe you can get some of those work schemes from the job centre though?
Original post by 4TSR
Who cares? legal and illegal should not be the sole way you live your life. Think about if you need the money or not? do the job no harm done dude... you are not hurting anyone.

He'd earn less money than on JSA, as he's hardly going to be able to claim income based JSA on an illegal job.
If you're better off on benefits...

I wouldn't bother going to jobs that pay cash in hand, no taxation, no future viable references

Meh :s-smilie:
Highly illegal, and the owner of the shop would be exploiting your position - I would very much worry about other things they are likely to do. Cash in hand means no tax and no national insurance. However remember if you were working 2 days at minimum wage you would not earn enough to pay tax anyway. Even full time your tax would be minimal.

I would leave it if I were you, there would also be no record of you having worked if you then left and tried to claim benefits which could affect your eligibility.
Reply 11
Original post by joker12345
He'd earn less money than on JSA, as he's hardly going to be able to claim income based JSA on an illegal job.

you get 270 a month max on JSA, no job no matter how illegal will pay less than this

Also, he actually can claim JSA because they wont know he has a job since its cash in hand :smile:
Original post by 4TSR
you get 270 a month max on JSA, no job no matter how illegal will pay less than this

Also, he actually can claim JSA because they wont know he has a job since its cash in hand :smile:

Well this job would. 25 2 days a week is 50 a week, 4 weeks makes it 200.
Yes, he could obviously take the job and then lie, but that's pretty risky.
You sure that he will even give you a reference? I wouldn't even bother tbh. Stay safe!
Reply 14
Not really my dad friend do the same he never got caught,2 pound an hour :mad:
Reply 15
Original post by 4TSR

If I were to go for this job, I'd only be getting £50 per week as the owner said he can only offer me 2 days work, from 11am-7.30pm.

Even though it's cash in hand, I would never lie to my advisor at the jobcentre. They check-up on this sort of thing all the time and the thought of getting caught out for a few extra quid isn't worth it!

Anyway, I have decided it isn't for me and will let the man know that I won't be attending the trial.
Not worth it. As others have said, I wouldn't even bother putting it on a CV. Taking the job doesn't give you any advantage really, besides a little bit of cash. It definitely sounds dodgy. £3 an hour is less than even the under 18s minimum wage, and what they get is pitiful!
It's only illegal if you don't declare it...Nothing wrong with doing something (legal) for money.

I wouldn't feel too bad if I were you, the black market economy is huge even in non-corrupt countries. Like how much of their cash-earned works do you think say plumbers forward to the tax authority? 100% ? 90%? maybe just 70%?
The awful pay and the cash in hand status are bad enough, but having a 'two day unpaid trial' AND holding 4 days pay as insurance against you leaving?

No. Don't do it. That should be screaming 'scam'.
Reply 19
Original post by doodle_333
all of it is very bad, any work you do, even training or 'trials' should be paid at at least minimum wage and they must pay you for everything you work regardless of whether you leave (since you wont have a contract you wont be obliged to give notice)

you will never earn enough to pay tax at £25 a day anyway but the whole situation is very dodgy, I imagine you will end up being completely taken advantage of (and probably not even paid the £25 most of the time) and, like others have said, your employers skimps on the stuff they are meant to be paying

you couldn't claim income based JSA I dont think because as soon as you declared what you were doing they would know you're working under illegal conditions

I second the fact that I doubt working there will get you a reference or anything like that, you'd do better volunteering in a charity shop or something and to be honest I would report this owner because he will be treating all his employees like that and it isn't right at all

You're right. It doesn't seem very good. All the small stores around my area tend to only give employees cash in hand. This place was the most generous by far at £25 per day. I'll definitely be giving it a miss!

I'm going to start some voluntary work this week, so think I'll just stick to that for now.

Latest

Trending

Trending