The Student Room Group

Please help with advice on bills for next year

Thank you so much in advance. The time has come where I've got to get out of uni accomodation and go on to private accomodation. Me and one other person are going to share a mid-terraced house next year and were wondering about bills. What do you people think of:

1. Joint bank account from which bills are taken by separate companies via us putting in a direct debit each month.

2. Splitthebills.co.uk

3. Glide.uk.com

and apart from those, what would you suggest based on experience?

Thank you!
I've always done option 1. I have a separate bank account, and all of us pay in rent and bills when our student finance comes in. Then direct debits pay all our rent and bills automatically. If you can't manage that, it's a very sorry show - it's not difficult.

I've never used them, but I gather that Glide and Split the Bills are quite expensive. If you use the search function you might be able to find some other conversations about them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
I've always done option 1. I have a separate bank account, and all of us pay in rent and bills when our student finance comes in. Then direct debits pay all our rent and bills automatically. If you can't manage that, it's a very sorry show - it's not difficult.

I've never used them, but I gather that Glide and Split the Bills are quite expensive. If you use the search function you might be able to find some other conversations about them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, I have looked at other threads but got some mixed views on all options + they're slightly old now, I thought now I could get some new experiences
Original post by Skilled
Thank you so much in advance. The time has come where I've got to get out of uni accomodation and go on to private accomodation. Me and one other person are going to share a mid-terraced house next year and were wondering about bills. What do you people think of:

1. Joint bank account from which bills are taken by separate companies via us putting in a direct debit each month.

2. Splitthebills.co.uk

3. Glide.uk.com

Thank you!

Hi! :smile:

I'm Jess and I actually work for Glide. I'd be happy to help go through some options with you. Feel free to give us a call and ask for me! The number is 0333 666 5555, and it's inclusive of your mobile minutes! :smile:
Original post by Skilled

2. Splitthebills.co.uk

3. Glide.uk.com

Thank you!

direct debit option, the others charge extra money
Original post by jelly1000

We're actually an energy provider ourselves, so we don't charge a management fee on gas and electricity! We work in exactly the same way as any other energy company does :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Jess@Glide
We're actually an energy provider ourselves, so we don't charge a management fee on gas and electricity! We work in exactly the same way as any other energy company does :smile:

Thank you for your response, I had a look at your company as well as split the bills and was wondering as to why your installation charges come out to so much compared to a simple £10 at split the bills for the same needs I.E. gas, elec and internet?
Reply 7

Thank you for your response
Original post by Skilled
Thank you for your response

Also there was a thread a while ago where a lot of people said steer clear of split the bills
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1743561
Reply 9
Also there was a thread a while ago where a lot of people said steer clear of split the bills
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1743561

Thanks, I saw those but still posted this because it's been a while and so new experiences
Original post by Skilled
Thanks, I saw those but still posted this because it's been a while and so new experiences

Do it yourself. Had a terrible experience with Glide, their broadband was shocking as well as their customer service. Plus they say they don't charge management fees but they do. If you can trust your housemates to pay just get a joint account.
Hi Becca,

It's Jess from Glide here. We're really sorry that you had a bad experience with us - we try our best to ensure that we give our customers a hassle-free service so they don't suffer the strain of juggling multiple utility bills. We take customer complaints very seriously and we are extremely disappointed that the service you received was not as it should have been.

We do charge a management fee on water and TV license, so we sincerely apologise if you were told otherwise. We'd be more than happy to have a chat with you if you have any questions about your time with Glide, as we'd like to resolve this issue for you.

Please feel free to give us a call on 0333 666 5555 and we'll do what we can to put it right.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think option 1 is the best. The joint bank account is split between you then so you are jointly liable, but do be careful you totally trust the person moving in with, as if they get into trouble financially, the bank won't care, they will look to you to pay it. But still, it's better than having all the bills go out of your account alone, and puts more emphasis on sharing.
Wouldn't bother with the other companies, just money ou don't need to spend. Just make sure you agree together how it'll work and contribute your share on time. It is also far easier if you have all bills go out at the same time, preferably when your money goes in, so you hardly have to think about it!
We designated a person in charge. It was me...everyone would give me £40/month to cover everything and anything left over at the end of the year we just split :smile:
can you share them out?
e.g. in my house I paid for the internet and someone else paid the TV license, we still had to move a little money around to even it out but it did mean that the amounts were smaller and so less of an issue if they were late
Reply 15
Original post by Origami Bullets

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely mental to get yourself a bank account with random people.

Don't get a bank account
DONT put your name on the utilities accounts.

Let other dickheads shoulder the risk.

Ask to see a copy of the utilities account and transfer your percentage via faster payment system or write a cheque. You should also get whoever you're sending the money to sign something to state they are in receipt of your percentage.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest