The Student Room Group

Why do we have to pay accommodation fees in installments?

So not only do we receive our loans in installments, we have to pay rent in 3 installments?

How do students survive without overdrafts?

Can we not request to pay our rent monthly like normal human beings?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Accommodation fees come out after you get your loan, so it's the first thing paid. You hardly even notice it being taken out. (I count down the days for mine to be taken)
I'm in my first year and my bank account isn't even set up for an overdraft. Looking to end the year with a fair amount of money left over!
You could pay rent monthly if you rented privately. Seems a bit silly though.
Original post by mariocasas
So not only do we receive our loans in installments, we have to pay rent in 3 installments?

How do students survive without overdrafts?

Can we not request to pay our rent monthly like normal human beings?

if the loan were paid up front and rents paid monthly there'd be all kinds of problems. There would anyway be one kind of problem and that is non-payment of rent by students who've drunk the whole year's loan by Christmas.
I prefer to pay my rent in three installments - that way, I know how much money I have available for the rest of the term, rather than having to mentally subtract outstanding rent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Trust me you'll appreciate it when it gets to it and you see other people paying differently and struggling, when you pay your rent in 3 instalments it means you only pay when student finance has been paid in so that the money is there. When you pay monthly it means you will be paying rent when you have run out of money and waiting for your next student finance instalment.

I'm moving into a house this September and so I have to pay monthly and it's already annoying knowing how much more aware I have to be of rent and how much money I actually have.
Reply 5
3 installments is so much better than monthly, my letting agent takes the money on the first of each month if student finance is in or not... Yer January was fun

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest