The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Accomodation preferences (stupid question)?

Hello there!

I'm trying to apply for accommodation and I really want Glen Eyre (best location for me as it's most central between campus, hospital and wide lane :biggrin: ) ideally enhanced room, but room type is less important.

So I have a stupid question...when you apply for halls is the order the put your preferences down considered your "order of preference" or are they considered equally?

It says ideally you should put down more than one halls complex, so I was going to put down Wessex lane as a "4th choice" because I'd rather end up there (if there is no room at glen eyre) than one of the random small halls....but if all preferences are considered equally, then I'd be tempted to not put it, because I'd much rather glen eyre and not sure I want to risk a 1 in 4 chance of Wessex lane (not that there's anything wrong with it lol)

Does that even make any sense? Sorry if it doesn't....

Also, do you just get allocated to one accommodation, or do you get made a couple of offers and you get to choose?
Original post by Storme
Hello there!

I'm trying to apply for accommodation and I really want Glen Eyre (best location for me as it's most central between campus, hospital and wide lane :biggrin: ) ideally enhanced room, but room type is less important.

So I have a stupid question...when you apply for halls is the order the put your preferences down considered your "order of preference" or are they considered equally?

It says ideally you should put down more than one halls complex, so I was going to put down Wessex lane as a "4th choice" because I'd rather end up there (if there is no room at glen eyre) than one of the random small halls....but if all preferences are considered equally, then I'd be tempted to not put it, because I'd much rather glen eyre and not sure I want to risk a 1 in 4 chance of Wessex lane (not that there's anything wrong with it lol)

Does that even make any sense? Sorry if it doesn't....

Also, do you just get allocated to one accommodation, or do you get made a couple of offers and you get to choose?

It depends how you university allocate rooms firstly.

They aren't considered equally, no.

Basically if you don't get your first preference, they then consider you for your second preference... then third preference... then last preference.

You won't be any less likely to get a room in your 3rd or 4th preference, because it's not your top choice.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Yeah, but they don't actually state "1st choice, 2nd choice etc" there's just a spread sheet type thing for you to put in all your accommodation choices, and you have to put at least 3.

Anyway, I just put the 3 in my first choice halls, and hope I get them...
Hi there,

If you have any questions about the accommodation process, or want to get in touch about Halls, you can contact our Residences team here: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/accommodation/contactus/.

Please let us know if we can help you further.

Quick Reply