The Student Room Group

Need some questions answering about uni exam retakes?

I've had exams these past 2 week and still on going, however one of my modules is engineering mathematics which i struggle to grasp the most due to coming from a BTEC background. Due to getting 34% and 38% in both class tests worth 20% each. Even though the second one, i was shocked that i achieved that low and pretty much was depressed and beating myself up myself for weeks on end! However i have to get 42% in the final exam to achieve a 40% average. However, what happens if i fail it and the caps 40%? Would university offer a retake and just forget about the 2% if i achieve 40% or do i just fail the module and retake next year if i pass all my others? Thanks
I don't think they are likely to forget about 2% it looks like you have to resit. I know in third year that say if you got 39.7% for example, then that will be rounded to 40%. But 38% is a fail. I have to resit a module just to get an extra 2% to get the 40% cap, so irritating!
Reply 2
Original post by Jennifer07
I don't think they are likely to forget about 2% it looks like you have to resit. I know in third year that say if you got 39.7% for example, then that will be rounded to 40%. But 38% is a fail. I have to resit a module just to get an extra 2% to get the 40% cap, so irritating!

I'll give them a call after all my exams are completed, i think we are still allowed to get into second year if we average 40% which means we are allowed to fail one module. However, surely they would consider a retake if its only that module i need to pass for example. To be honest, i wouldn't mind if i have to retake it as long as i get into second year! Plus i have a couple of reasons that should allow the uni to give me another chance. The exam is mathematics and since coming from gcse only achieving a C and having dyslexia its been a real struggle. Plus im not very good at exams to say the least but superb at coursework! The main reason i failed was balancing too much revision and trying to learn different concepts. it wasn't to do with lack of motivation, lack of revision etc.
Aww you'll defo get into second year :smile: you only need 40% and the lowest module is dropped even if you fail it. Basically, I found out some information from my uni, but check with yours as not sure if it applies to all. But, you are allowed to fail one module and providing the fail is between 30-39 then you don't have to resit it, it is just dropped.

I don't have to resit my failed module as i scored 38% so it is just dropped.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending