The Student Room Group

What do I do if I want to become a nurse?

Hello TSR!
I'm currently a very stressed out A-Level student who will be sitting my exams in a weeks time! I've applied to do Psychology at University, Nottingham Trent University as my firm (280 points) and Coventry as my insurance (BCC points.) I honestly feel like I will not get into University, and I'm not upset if I don't because I want to become a Mental Health Nurse. Ever since I was a child and my step granddad was bed ridden with Alzheimer I've wanted to help other people who may be in similar scenarios. I used to get up and talk to him beside his bed on the weekends I stayed over and did everything with my step grandmother to help him. The only reason I picked Psychology at university was because I wanted to go into Clinical Psychology, but with the stress of the A-level examinations I've decided I don't think I'm interested in doing more education- I want to help people as soon as possible!

How do I go about becoming a Mental Health Nurse? I can't apply through UCAS because I've already got two choices for Psychology! :frown:
I've looked at Courses at De Monfort, Derby, Nottingham and I think they look fantastic!

*What's my first step?
*Do I pull out of Ucas or is it too late?
*Will I have to wait until next year to apply for Nursing again?
*How much experience will I need to have a better chance of applying to become a Nurse?
*Where would I be able to get this experience?

I'm really sorry for the long post, and I hope someone get's back to me as I really need the help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sezena
Hello TSR!
I'm currently a very stressed out A-Level student who will be sitting my exams in a weeks time! I've applied to do Psychology at University, Nottingham Trent University as my firm (280 points) and Coventry as my insurance (BCC points.) I honestly feel like I will not get into University, and I'm not upset if I don't because I want to become a Mental Health Nurse. Ever since I was a child and my step granddad was bed ridden with Alzheimer I've wanted to help other people who may be in similar scenarios. I used to get up and talk to him beside his bed on the weekends I stayed over and did everything with my step grandmother to help him. The only reason I picked Psychology at university was because I wanted to go into Clinical Psychology, but with the stress of the A-level examinations I've decided I don't think I'm interested in doing more education- I want to help people as soon as possible!

How do I go about becoming a Mental Health Nurse? I can't apply through UCAS because I've already got two choices for Psychology! :frown:
I've looked at Courses at De Monfort, Derby, Nottingham and I think they look fantastic!

*What's my first step?
*Do I pull out of Ucas or is it too late?
*Will I have to wait until next year to apply for Nursing again?
*How much experience will I need to have a better chance of applying to become a Nurse?
*Where would I be able to get this experience?

I'm really sorry for the long post, and I hope someone get's back to me as I really need the help!

Hi, firstly well done on getting places for psychology. Secondly, its too late to pull out of UCAS now, you could ring up the universities you like and ask if they would consider you. May be a long shot however it is worth a try! If what I said doesn't work then you'll have to wait till September to apply again for 2015 entry, which in my opinion is the better option as it means you can gain more experience. How much experience you will need, depends on how much you want to become a nurse. You can volunteer with people with mental health issues, work with elderly people etc. Those are just some ideas. You can get experience in hospitals (this is quite difficult but you can ask your local one), psychiatric hospitals and residential care homes for the elderly or those with MH issues. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by sophieleannexo
Hi, firstly well done on getting places for psychology. Secondly, its too late to pull out of UCAS now, you could ring up the universities you like and ask if they would consider you. May be a long shot however it is worth a try! If what I said doesn't work then you'll have to wait till September to apply again for 2015 entry, which in my opinion is the better option as it means you can gain more experience. How much experience you will need, depends on how much you want to become a nurse. You can volunteer with people with mental health issues, work with elderly people etc. Those are just some ideas. You can get experience in hospitals (this is quite difficult but you can ask your local one), psychiatric hospitals and residential care homes for the elderly or those with MH issues. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you saying it is possible to contact the University and hear what they have to say?
Original post by Sezena
Are you saying it is possible to contact the University and hear what they have to say?

Yes it is possible that you can switch courses at your firm and insurance choice. Or ring up the universities you are interested in and ask if they would accept you. If they will then you can ask to be released from your firm and insurance choice universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Yes it is possible that you can switch courses at your firm and insurance choice. Or ring up the universities you are interested in and ask if they would accept you. If they will then you can ask to be released from your firm and insurance choice universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have called the Universities and each of them has said I will have to wait for 2015 entrance! I think the best thing to do is pull out of university, apply for an assistant role in the NHS and work my way? Is that good?
Original post by Sezena
I have called the Universities and each of them has said I will have to wait for 2015 entrance! I think the best thing to do is pull out of university, apply for an assistant role in the NHS and work my way? Is that good?

You'll have to wait then unfortunately! Pull out of university but make sure you are 100% sure that you want to be a mental health nurse. You don't necessarily get to work with people with alzeimhers if you are a MH nurse. Assistant role? As in a healthcare assistant. If so, that is one of the ways to become a nurse. However the course is really competitive and there aren't a lot of places to begin with. I'd recommend getting work experience in different areas - elderly, children and those with MH problems. It is invaluable experience!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
You'll have to wait then unfortunately! Pull out of university but make sure you are 100% sure that you want to be a mental health nurse. You don't necessarily get to work with people with alzeimhers if you are a MH nurse. Assistant role? As in a healthcare assistant. If so, that is one of the ways to become a nurse. However the course is really competitive and there aren't a lot of places to begin with. I'd recommend getting work experience in different areas - elderly, children and those with MH problems. It is invaluable experience!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't necessarily want to work with those with Alzeimhers, any one who needs help and support I want to aid! It sounds cheesy and corny but it's true :colondollar:
I'm confident I want to be someone who helps people, and I've always seen my self as someone helping those with mental issues, I know I definitely don't want to be a typical partying university student and I don't want to continue education for a long period without actually being out in the real world! I imagine doing a nursing course is the best option for me
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sezena
I don't necessarily want to work with those with Alzeimhers, any one who needs help and support I want to aid! It sounds cheesy and corny but it's true :colondollar:
I'm confident I want to be someone who helps people, and I've always seen my self as someone helping those with mental issues, I know I definitely don't want to be a typical partying university student and I don't want to continue education for a long period without actually being out in the real world! I imagine doing a nursing course is the best option for me

That's good. Do nursing then! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
That's good. Do nursing then! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I get the grades for University is it possible to pull out on results day?
Original post by Sezena
If I get the grades for University is it possible to pull out on results day?

Nope. Way too late. As your place will have been confirmed if you meet the conditions for your firm/insurance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can pull out at any time. Whether it's the day you firm your offers or your last day before graduating. However, if you know you want to do nursing I'd say that sooner is probably better as it allows the uni's to better prepare for things like clearing. I'm guessing you probably have no relevant nursing experience. Personally I'd recommend either spending a year working as a health care assistant in a hospital, or as a carer in a care or nursing home. Those in care/nursing home will probably give you a better view of people with mental health issues as they're very prevalent in the elderly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Happy_Holidays
You can pull out at any time. Whether it's the day you firm your offers or your last day before graduating. However, if you know you want to do nursing I'd say that sooner is probably better as it allows the uni's to better prepare for things like clearing. I'm guessing you probably have no relevant nursing experience. Personally I'd recommend either spending a year working as a health care assistant in a hospital, or as a carer in a care or nursing home. Those in care/nursing home will probably give you a better view of people with mental health issues as they're very prevalent in the elderly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'e right, I have no experience apart from helping around when I was younger (That's not really experience) and recently with my Great Uncle getting cancer, but they're not official medical experience, I would love to take a year out and work, but I'm terrified if I don't find the experience, the place I live there isn't many places around! When I've looked up jobs most of them want me to have some experience already... I'm really lost about where to go to get it. I live next door to a care home so I was thinking after exams trying there again! (Every time I've tried no one has been in and my phone calls have been ignored). I might even post to them!
Please tell me if any of you are nurses how you went about getting the position? :smile:
Reply 12
If you're desperate to get going you could look in clearing on results day.
But realistically I'd take the year out get a job as a carer make some money enjoy a gap year and apply for nursing while you're at it. People will respect the dedication it requires to put your life on hold for a year! (well I hope they will because thats what I've ended up doing!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by em.d_4
If you're desperate to get going you could look in clearing on results day.
But realistically I'd take the year out get a job as a carer make some money enjoy a gap year and apply for nursing while you're at it. People will respect the dedication it requires to put your life on hold for a year! (well I hope they will because thats what I've ended up doing!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really hope so! So are you taking a gap year this year? I think it will help knowing I've got the a levels too! I think I might call a university and ask them what the chances of them taking someone who will be 20 and on hold for a year to work!
Original post by Sezena
I really hope so! So are you taking a gap year this year? I think it will help knowing I've got the a levels too! I think I might call a university and ask them what the chances of them taking someone who will be 20 and on hold for a year to work!

They can't discriminate. I've been on 2 gap years and I'm 20 now. Going to university in September to do social work. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Sezena

Age won't be an.issue at all!
Im starting my gap year in september, I kinda wasn't looking forward to.it but I am now, anything will be relaxing compared to revising for a levels :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by em.d_4
Age won't be an.issue at all!
Im starting my gap year in september, I kinda wasn't looking forward to.it but I am now, anything will be relaxing compared to revising for a levels :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you applying to do nursing at all? :smile:
And tell me about it! I want to go out and work by helping people and save money and then have an education again!
Reply 17
Original post by Sezena
Are you applying to do nursing at all? :smile:
And tell me about it! I want to go out and work by helping people and save money and then have an education again!

I actually applied to study medicine this year and am now unsure what to apply for in september it's between Medicine and nursing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
i just called a job vacancy and asked about what experience they wanted and they said they were willing to train people and then they asked if i can drive as that's a requirement of the job, so me being an idiot told them i can drive and they started saying that's brilliant and i now have an interview with them but i can't drive what do i do
Reply 19
Original post by Sezena
i just called a job vacancy and asked about what experience they wanted and they said they were willing to train people and then they asked if i can drive as that's a requirement of the job, so me being an idiot told them i can drive and they started saying that's brilliant and i now have an interview with them but i can't drive what do i do

Get learning you could easy learn by September! Is it for a carer job?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest