The Student Room Group

Economics or Acc. and Finance?

Hi everyone,

So I'm new to TSR, and I would be more than happy to receive help in regards to mapping out pro's and con's between my two offers:
Manchester University - Economics
Durham University - Accounting and Finance

I personally feel that Manchester is a nicer place to live (as the Durham course is at stockton), but on the other hand, I hear a lot that Durham has a better reputation. Then again, economics is a more well rounded subject, and I believe that I might enjoy it more as a subject, since I've had it as a HL in IB. Also, Manchester seems to have more resources as it's a huge uni, not to mention its international reputation.

Either way, I would appreciate any opinions regarding the two, as I really have a difficult time choosing between them (I'm maybe leaning more towards Manchester). Cheers.
Reply 1
economics allows more options for you, acc and finance will limit you to just accounting and maybe a bit more. Any reason as to why you didn't apply for econ at Durham
Reply 2
Original post by hiphop97
economics allows more options for you, acc and finance will limit you to just accounting and maybe a bit more. Any reason as to why you didn't apply for econ at Durham

Yeah I was thinking along the same lines about economics being a more well-rounded and better subject overall. I couldn't apply to Durham's economics because, long story short, I got all my five choices declined and I applied with ucas extra so I was limited to applying to courses which weren't full. I recieved the offer from Manchester by applying informally via email, explaining my situation of having two different offers :smile:

They told me in the email from Manchester that its also possible for me to add finance as a subject, if I get good grades etc. I guess eco+finance is a good combo?

Quick Reply

Latest