The Student Room Group

The Wire

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stinkum
yeah, prop joe's last scene was extremely disturbing. marlo is an animal, completely dehumanised, it definitely shows the dire situation for those characters. Snoop didn't expect it at all, but Mike was smart, it was either him or her and he got the drop on her. Man, those 2 scenes, just...beyond brilliant, you can never see anything like that on any other tv show.

I also love the story of Carver and Herc - they both start out as pretty cops, constantly complaining about getting the crap details and being pushed around by that annoyingly self-righteous b!tch Kima: yet they progress from the same background to two distinct characters. On one hand you've got Carver who really comes into his own, in S3 he starts to understand (thanks to Bunny Colvin) what it actually means to be "Police", this is further developed in S4 when he because so intertwined with the educational system and his ultimate promotion to Leitenant just prior to Daniel's departure. ..... HOWEVER Herc retains his brutish attitudes, fails to learn and continues to believe he can play the system - he can't. By the end of the series I like the way they've both come full circle, however you can't deny it's ironic that Carver (who's much more motivated) is in much less of a position to do good for Baltimore out of the two, with him remaining within the Police force
Reply 21
Original post by mad-marek
I also love the story of Carver and Herc - they both start out as pretty cops, constantly complaining about getting the crap details and being pushed around by that annoyingly self-righteous b!tch Kima: yet they progress from the same background to two distinct characters. On one hand you've got Carver who really comes into his own, in S3 he starts to understand (thanks to Bunny Colvin) what it actually means to be "Police", this is further developed in S4 when he because so intertwined with the educational system and his ultimate promotion to Leitenant just prior to Daniel's departure. ..... HOWEVER Herc retains his brutish attitudes, fails to learn and continues to believe he can play the system - he can't. By the end of the series I like the way they've both come full circle, however you can't deny it's ironic that Carver (who's much more motivated) is in much less of a position to do good for Baltimore out of the two, with him remaining within the Police force

wow...that's an extremely interesting analysis and you're exactly spot on!! sounds like you're quite a big fan of the wire!! i very much enjoyed reading that comment i must say I completely agree with that all the way. carver and herc have always been 2 of my favourite characters (though to be fair, my list of favourite characters from the wire is something like 20 or 30, all the characters are multidimensional and very thoroughly and well developed). i'm a huge fan of the herc-carver-kima triangle, conflicting personalities and styles. the writing was always spot on and pitch perfect for these characters. What about Carver going to visit Randy in the group home and sees how he went through a dramatic change, sees it as his own failure and has a mini mental breakdown in his car. brilliant writing once again.

dont even get me started on bunny colvin. one of the most interesting and greatest characters on any tv show. i really felt his pain (lol, i know it sounds cheesy) at certain times. and his relationship with naymond...that was extremely well written and extremely interesting to see how that unfolded. Naymond's character development is extremely stark and interested me a great deal. He went from being a foul mouthed drug dealer to a well spoken and polite student presenting at conferences in front of hundreds of people. Just absolutely fascinating, you dont see this in any other show.
Reply 22

To be fair, at that point, I think they needed someone to boss them around, as they were really gung-ho and didn't really think about what they were doing. I mean, remember when they tried to arrest a load of people in the Towers back in Season 1? Ended up getting bottles and TV sets thrown at them
Original post by scjman
To be fair, at that point, I think they needed someone to boss them around, as they were really gung-ho and didn't really think about what they were doing. I mean, remember when they tried to arrest a load of people in the Towers back in Season 1? Ended up getting bottles and TV sets thrown at them

You could add Prezbo to that equation, he starts off gung ho, eventually finds his balls in S2 when he punches his father in law and comes into his own as the series progresses!
Reply 24
You could add Prezbo to that equation, he starts off gung ho, eventually finds his balls in S2 when he punches his father in law and comes into his own as the series progresses!

Yeah, he was even more gung-ho when he hit that kid in the eye with his pistol. Even Herc and Carver were shocked by that
The transformation that happened with Prezbo was really well done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
"My name is Mr. Pryzbylewski. But you can call me Mr. Pryzbylewski."

:lol:

Season 4 is my personal favorite for the whole inner city story arc.
Original post by TM94
"My name is Mr. Pryzbylewski. But you can call me Mr. Pryzbylewski."

:lol:

Season 4 is my personal favorite for the whole inner city story arc.

XD Even he says his own name wrongly, it should be more like "P-sheh-bil-ev-ski"

Season 2 is my personal fav :wink:
Reply 28
Original post by Stinkum
I strongly believe everything else is trash. After watching the wire, I realised this. And only after watching the wire did i see that. It's a bit harsh to compare everything to the wire, but the show just set the bar so ridiculously high that everything else instantly became trash. I still watch plenty of tv shows, but only to pass time, they are trash. For example, game of thrones is really trashy, i haven't even bothered to watch any episodes from the latest season, just a really trashy show.

The main reason I think the wire turned out so good is because the writers weren't complete idiots. they worked hard to write a really strong show. the writing is just...superb. and that's a huge understatement. i simply can't stress enough how exceptional the quality of the writing is. every single other show has really weak and lazy writing.

I mentioned it before, but the music is a very important aspect of the show. Note how there is absolutely NO background music or soundtrack playing except for music that's physically being played by the characters, and there's just a little soundtrack in each season finale, that's it. Even though it might seem like a minor thing, it goes to show how strong the show is, and how confident the writers were in the quality of the writing.

The show is NEVER cheesy, not even once. It can get a little confusing, sometimes a little disgusting. But never cheesy.

I wouldn't call season 5 crap. Like I said, EVERY SINGLE EPISODE in the entire series is excellent. The show is perfectly consistent, truly a flawless show. Season 1 is amazing. Season 2 is mind blowing. Season 3 is exceptional. Season 4 is unbelievably superb. Season 5 is extremely good.

Have you heard of a show called True Detective? Started watching that and that's really good so far, though am only about halfway through

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending