The Student Room Group

A Levels or Pre-U

Which one of these is preferred for progression to uni, and just in general which one would you guys recommend?

I'm not too bothered about which one is harder, but I would prefer to learn stuff in as much detail as I, so I would rather they had more topics that they focused on strongly rather than just skimming through a couple of areas.

The subjects I'm planning to take are - Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics

Thanks for helping. :smile:
Original post by silentshadows
Which one of these is preferred for progression to uni, and just in general which one would you guys recommend?

I'm not too bothered about which one is harder, but I would prefer to learn stuff in as much detail as I, so I would rather they had more topics that they focused on strongly rather than just skimming through a couple of areas.

The subjects I'm planning to take are - Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics

Thanks for helping. :smile:

There is no preferred qualification. IB and Pre-U students do tend to go around moaning/boasting about how much more difficult their qualifications are than A Levels but they absolutely do not get preferential treatment from Universities. I suppose if you really want to go into depth into your subject, Pre-U might be better since I've heard it has more extension opportunities if you're the kind of pupil who'd be getting A*s at A Level (although I've got no experience of Pre-U), but then there's also the fact that very few people outside of Universities are aware of what the Pre-U is - I don't know whether or not that might be an issue in the future if employers don't understand the grading.

So really, I don't think there's a massive difference. If your school offers both then sure, go with the Pre-U but I really don't think it matters. You could go through the respective specifications if that helps.
Bump

Quick Reply

Latest