The Student Room Group

Just disloacted my knee

Hey,
I've just dislocated my knee the second time. The first time I done it was about 4 years ago and I went to the hospital to which they provided me with crutches and a knee brace to help me keep pressure off of it. I was also given a sheet with some physical therapy exercises on it which I think was the main reason for my recovery.

However, I've just dislocated it again but this time it quickly slid to the outside of my knee and automatically slid back into place, whereas the first time it slid to the side and locked and had to be put back into place. The first time the pain was unbearable and I knew I had to seek medical attention because of this. However, this time it doesn't really hurt that much. I can walk relatively well, with a slight limp, but this is much better than the first time as I could not walk whatsoever. There is a slight pain when I bend it to a certain point, but I'm sure this is just because of the muscle strain that can be resolved through doing knee exercises, like I did last time. I don't think I need to seek special medical attention for this.

Has anyone been in this situation where they have dislocated their knee more than once on the same knee? If so what did you do and what do you think I should do? Should I still seek medical attention this time even though it does not hurt that much and I know thy're just going to advise me to do physical therapy? Or should I just stick to my own treatment via physical therapy exercises and ice packs to reduce the swelling?

Would really appreciate a response. Thanks in advacne
Reply 1
I was under the impression once you've dislocated something once, it' much more likely for it to happen again. I'd take it easy for a bit and if the pain doesn't go away in the near future, then seek medical help.
Reply 2
"I just dislocated my knee...better post in on TSR!" :gthumb:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by MJ1012
I was under the impression once you've dislocated something once, it' much more likely for it to happen again. I'd take it easy for a bit and if the pain doesn't go away in the near future, then seek medical help.

Ok thanks for the advice, really appreciate it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe you should go to the hospital to get it checked up, we're all Doctors to be here.
Reply 5
Original post by lilypear
Maybe you should go to the hospital to get it checked up, we're all Doctors to be here.

Ok thanks for your advice, I appreciate it!
Reply 6
I dislocated my knee a few years ago and it locked to the side as you describe and was the worst pain I have ever felt, I got told by the consultant who showed me my xrays afterwards that it WILL dislocate again and when it does I'll have to have knee surgery as it loosens all your ligaments etc around the knee. My right knee is still really weak to this day :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending