The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
hippieglitter
Thats ridiculous, some people aren't fat through any fault of their own and being mean to fat people is more likely to make them comfort eat rather than diet making them even more fat.

Really? I would like to meet them, along with the medical community; some people have a greater potential to store lipids (fat) but there is no obese person on the planet who cannot lose the weight through a correct diet and exercise.

Perhaps a few people might find fat people attractive, but the majority of the population would find it disgusting, and rightly so, because it is disgusting. I agree that the issue has to be dealt with sensibly but the high incidence of heart disease and obesity in this country means we should not feel sympathy for fat people who do nothing to try and lose the weight.
I know some fat people with very nice personalities.
But fat people are damaging society. They make the work force less productive, are more of a burden on the NHS (and thus the taxpayer) and set a bad example to younger generations. Visual pollution also needs to be taken into account. We need to internalize the social externalities arising from the actions of these individuals. As it would be impractical for the law to regulate such activities, it is society's responsibility to do so.
The Ace is Back
But fat people are damaging society. They make the work force less productive, are more of a burden on the NHS (and thus the taxpayer) and set a bad example to younger generations. Visual pollution also needs to be taken into account. We need to internalize the social externalities arising from the actions of these individuals. As it would be impractical for the law to regulate such activities, it is society's responsibility to do so.

Kind of like politicians then.

:confused:
This sort of discussion is what made me properly ill.

I'm fat. I'm a size sixteen/eighteen, both top and bottom. I have a large chest, big bottom, hips, but a waist. I've been that way since I hit puberty. I'm also extremely self-conscious.

To look at me, you wouldn't know, directly walking down the street. I am incredibly careful to dress to 'hide' my weight, to hide my figure. I hate being out in large crowds of people, I look in the mirror and cringe, and so on.

I've also been anorexic on and off for about four years. I was a size eighteen at one point, and dropped down to a size eight-ten in about four, five months. I covered up mirrors in my home, I cut my wrists, I wouldn't walk down the middle of the high street because I felt people were staring...

You can't judge someone on their *weight*. It doesn't tell you whether they have a sharp mind or a dull one, a sense of humour that's sharp, or sweet, whether they watch Friends or prefer the History Channel. Weight doesn't tell you about their smile, or the way they fiddle with something, it doesn't tell you how they cook, or laugh or think.

What makes someone attractive is a difficult art to describe. And people who believe weight is a definition are the people who have made life a misery to lead for a very long time for me, and others. I don't actually *believe* it when people find me attractive. I'm *that* far screwed up over my weight. Do we really need to sit around and discuss something that could reach someone else like me, or someone else who's border-line, and make them feel unhappy, as well?
Reply 85
Phonicsdude
I prefer thingirls.

I would not date a fat girl. Not because I'm shallow, but because there would be no sexual chemistry. There could be an amazing friendship but nowt more. Which of course consigns me to marrying a 2 tonne elephant. :rolleyes:

(There are evolutionary reasons for this but they'd be lost on you turdfaces).

Surely you mean 'slim'.

Being too thin can have a negative long-term effect on one's ability to reproduce.
Optimistic
Really? I would like to meet them, along with the medical community; some people have a greater potential to store lipids (fat) but there is no obese person on the planet who cannot lose the weight through a correct diet and exercise.

Perhaps a few people might find fat people attractive, but the majority of the population would find it disgusting, and rightly so, because it is disgusting. I agree that the issue has to be dealt with sensibly but the high incidence of heart disease and obesity in this country means we should not feel sympathy for fat people who do nothing to try and lose the weight.

I have a friend who has a medical disorder meaning she can diet as much as she likes and she does do a lot of exercise including PE GCSE and A-level, but is still as fat as she always has been and her sister is even bigger.
Wanderlust
Kind of like politicians then.

:confused:

Yeah well not necessarily, if the masses would stop voting Labour.

Latest