The Student Room Group

Graduate finances / Graduate loans

Currently trying to work out the best route to take with my graduate fiance.. wonder if anyone has any advice, or opinions on what I am planning to do..

Basically, my current situation is:

- Finished my degree
- Perminant full time work seccured
- Maxed overdraft (between 1-2k to not be to specific)
- a very small amount of disposable money at the moment..

- Get married in 1 month, to a partner who is a masters student finishing her course in september, she has no employment but a lot of disposable money and savings.

Currently I am with natwest.. but we will be looking at getting a joint bank account straight after the wedding, with seperate savings accounts.

At the moment I am looking at the best way of getting some disposable income for now, as my first pay check wont be until around the end of july, and before then I need to pay for a deposit on a flat, and furnish an apartment (some of this my partner will pay for.. but to do all of it is a bit much)
And, as my job is only contracted for school term-time, I am looking at setting myself up a little part-time buisness on the side of my regular work (something I have done before, prior to coming to uni, ends up just being the ocassional weekend, and school holidays) For this though, I would need to up-date my equipment, as I am about 5-6 years out of date now..

What I would love to do.. swap to a provider that does graduate loans, set up a joint account for me and my fiance (1 graduate, and one soon-to-be graduate), and then take out a graduate loan to cover: Initial money until my first pay-check, equipment for the part-time buisness, and covering the overdraft so that I can close my student account..

for me that would cover all the bases, and I would only have 1 payment each month of around £100, that I could just set up as a dirrect debit, that would not be an issue with my wage..

I have no experiance though with graduate loans, nor no anyone who has taken one out..

So anyone on here want to shed some light? would that be possible? Would I get a graduate loan, with an overdraft on a different account? etc.

Aside from the student-overdraft, I have no credit-history, as that is the only credit I have ever taken/used (no credit cards or loans or anything before)

I will be going into a few banks very soon to talk this over.. but thought I would get some advice first, so I can go in prepared, and knowledgable about where I stand..

Thanks!

[Edit - just did an experian credit rating.. and it came out at 908, which is in their 'good' catagory.. so hopefully that will help]
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
(Can't delete my post -ignore me!)
(edited 9 years ago)
N/a
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Sorry, yes, realised I 'd misunderstood but edited too late!
You mean you want a bank loan?
Your use of the term graduate loan is confusing.
Just ask your bank for a loan.
Original post by balotelli12
You mean you want a bank loan?
Your use of the term graduate loan is confusing.
Just ask your bank for a loan.

Graduate loan is what they call them though.. Loans specifically for people who have just graduated

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending