The Student Room Group

Severe Myopia

My biggest fear is becoming blind. My eye sights have become so worse that i can't see the face of anyone in the room without my glasses. Not even when their less than 30cm away from me.
My left eye is -7.75 and my right eye is -8.25.
I dont know anyone else who has a higher prescription than mine.
Can i eventually become blind if i dont get my eyes fixed? (Possibly with laser eye treatment).

The prescript
Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I doubt you will. How old are you and how has your eyesight been falling throughout your life? (at what pace)

When I was 14, I used to be terrified of this. I mentioned this to my doctor who's treated me my whole life and he said that I'll almost definitely even out at -7,5 or so by the time I'm 19. (He turned out to be right, but it really was frightening for a while, because I went from -1,5 to -5,5 in about a year.)

Seriously though, tell your doc this. Hopefully they can help.
Bless x

Myopia does not cause blindness, it is just the shape of the lens and you can always correct with glasses.

Laser sugery is not so successful at high presciption. I had a friend who had it and now he has to wear vision for long sight. I would suggest contacts.

There is no reason to see a gp whatsoever !

I don't think -7 is too bad. I went to -9 both eyes but at age 20 it stayed the same.
Reply 4
mmaryam..try not to worry too much. Your prescription is similar to mine. Low myopia is usually classed as upto around -3. Medium to around -6 high maybe up to around -11 and its quite possible to go as high as -20 and beyond.

I wonder how old you are and how would you classify your racial background?

Has your prescription changeed much in recent years or has it pretty much levelled out?

Do you wear glasses or contacts?

Do you have astigmatic correction in either or both eyes?

My advice to you is do not worry about that which you cannot change.

What is important is to have annual eye check ups including retinal imagery with a reputable optometrist who you trust.

If glasses bother you,its very possible to obtain perfect vision,far better than your glasses,with contacts.

I use daily disposables and they are nothing more than what looks like a small circle of cling film.

There are very valid studies to suggest that causes of myopis include heriditary/genetic and also lack of exposure to sunlight,outdoor activities when younger.

Myopia is caused by the eyeball being too long such that the sharp image is focusses in front of the retina rather than on it. It is incredibly common.

Higher myopes have an increased risk of retinal detachment and other complications but again,dont get frightened over it. Just be informed,look after your general and optical health. Feel free to pm

take care
Reply 5
Myopia itself doesn't cause blindness but high myopic are at risk of retinal detachment. You should visit your eye doctor at least once a year for complete checkups.
Student Optometrist here.
You'll be fine. Your eyesight might get worse, and it might get worse to the point that you're legally blind (if you aren't already - it' dependent on what lines of the chart you can see), but that's entirely different to actually going completely blind.

Just go for checkups every 6 months to a year apart and asap if you notice any sudden changes in vision.
Reply 7
Original post by mmaryam
My biggest fear is becoming blind.

...now there's something I can certainly relate to.

Whilst I may not have Myopia I've had some pretty terrifying eye troubles in recent months, I'd always had a fear of going blind before that though.

It sounds like it's nothing much to worry about anyway. I've known people to be 'practically' blind when they don't have their glasses on and just kind of joke about it. I can imagine it's not ideal though. Maybe your optician can reassure you.
Reply 8
Thanks for the words of wisdom and the reassurances. Fully appreciate it.

I've been wearing glasses since i was 6 and in 10 years (I'm 16 now) my eyesights have become worse. But i guess its not that bad if i actually think about it...As long as my eyes are stable and does not change drastically.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
Student Optometrist here.
You'll be fine. Your eyesight might get worse, and it might get worse to the point that you're legally blind (if you aren't already - it' dependent on what lines of the chart you can see), but that's entirely different to actually going completely blind.

Just go for checkups every 6 months to a year apart and asap if you notice any sudden changes in vision.

What prescription do you need to have to be considered as legally blind?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Limpopo
mmaryam..try not to worry too much. Your prescription is similar to mine. Low myopia is usually classed as upto around -3. Medium to around -6 high maybe up to around -11 and its quite possible to go as high as -20 and beyond.

I wonder how old you are and how would you classify your racial background?

Has your prescription changeed much in recent years or has it pretty much levelled out?

Do you wear glasses or contacts?

Do you have astigmatic correction in either or both eyes?

My advice to you is do not worry about that which you cannot change.

What is important is to have annual eye check ups including retinal imagery with a reputable optometrist who you trust.

If glasses bother you,its very possible to obtain perfect vision,far better than your glasses,with contacts.

I use daily disposables and they are nothing more than what looks like a small circle of cling film.

There are very valid studies to suggest that causes of myopis include heriditary/genetic and also lack of exposure to sunlight,outdoor activities when younger.

Myopia is caused by the eyeball being too long such that the sharp image is focusses in front of the retina rather than on it. It is incredibly common.

Higher myopes have an increased risk of retinal detachment and other complications but again,dont get frightened over it. Just be informed,look after your general and optical health. Feel free to pm

take care

I'm 16 and i'd consider myself as white African. I'm not sure about my eye sights levelling out but my eyes increased by -0.25 in a year. I wear glasses but i dont think im astigmatic.
I fainted in the opticians when i tried on contact lenses :/ Maybe I'll go back to them when i feel confident.

Oh yeah..all my siblings (i have 6) except from my little sister all wear glasses. But they all have mild myopia and im the only one with severe myopia.
I guess its genetic..but both my parents have perfect eye sights.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm -5 so a little under you, but I totally understand what you mean. Everyone's pretty much said everyone on here but I just wanna say don't go down the laser surgery path unless you're absolutely sure you want it, because no one really knows what the long-term implications are as it's very new.
Reply 12
I'm on around -14 in each eye. The eye person told me I'm at a higher risk of retinal detachment but they never said anything about potentially becoming blind, the glasses just become really heavy and you can't get stylish ones as much because they have to be under a certain size.
Reply 13
Original post by Flauta
I'm on around -14 in each eye. The eye person told me I'm at a higher risk of retinal detachment but they never said anything about potentially becoming blind, the glasses just become really heavy and you can't get stylish ones as much because they have to be under a certain size.

You must be young seeing as you're on TSR so in 30 years time, don't you wonder about the state of your eyes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by mmaryam
You must be young seeing as you're on TSR so in 30 years time, don't you wonder about the state of your eyes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I try not to, I mean my eyesight is too bad to ever drive unless I get special contacts but it'll always be manageable
Reply 15
Original post by Flauta
I try not to, I mean my eyesight is too bad to ever drive unless I get special contacts but it'll always be manageable

You can't DRIVE?????
Wow, but isnt your vision corrected with normal glasses? Confused..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by mmaryam
You can't DRIVE?????
Wow, but isnt your vision corrected with normal glasses? Confused..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glasses don't correct my vision enough, if I was given stronger glasses to be able to read a numberplate from 20 metres away then my nearer sighted vision would drop out
Original post by mmaryam
What prescription do you need to have to be considered as legally blind?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not based on prescription, it's based on what you can read on the chart.

From the NHS website:
"Sight impairment, previously called ‘partial sight’, is usually defined as:
having poor visual acuity (3/60 to 6/60) but having a full field of vision"

So basically, can you read the biggest letter while you're sitting in the chair? Or do you have to get up and walk towards it until you can read it?
I'm sure your Optom would have mentioned it because there's benefits and things if your vision is that bad or worse.
Original post by Flauta
Glasses don't correct my vision enough, if I was given stronger glasses to be able to read a numberplate from 20 metres away then my nearer sighted vision would drop out

Have you considered the idea of a cheap pair of glasses for driving and using your other glasses the rest of the time? Perhaps a stupid question, but it's an idea.
Laser eye surgery would help, if you are able to have it. Perhaps before your vision gets any worse and the success probability decreases.

Latest