The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why should men get married these days?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ubi1
Yh that's why I have great respect for couples who have been married for several decades and died together!:redface:

Marriage is about living together lovingly and dying together not easy way to rob someone!:frown:

Definitely, I agree :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by MASTER265
Yup I am never getting married, too risky. If you really love each other do you need a legal document to prove it?

That's exactly what am saying!

Life destroyer rather then a loving union!:s-smilie:
Original post by ubi1
Well the women don't care about that piece of paper they care about this piece of paper££££:frown:

Pschh nope. I am the "breadwinner" in my relationship! I get my own paperz brah
Reply 63
Original post by Schleigg
It's simple. Once you're in a grown-up relationship where you're already comfortable with each other you can get married because you care about what your partner wants.

I was never bothered about getting married in the past, but my fiancée wants to get married. Ergo, because I love her and want to make her happy, we are getting married. We're already sharing all the things like a house, cars and have joint bank accounts and there's no reason to think we're going to split up in the future, not that being married would change that anyway.

Weddings are a great excuse to get all the family together and it also happens to make both our families happy. We can have a massive party afterwards then take like a month off work to go on a ridiculous honeymoon. It strengthens your joint reputation financially, as mortgage lenders, insurance companies, and the like look more favourably on married couples; and like it or not it makes you appear better in society. Co-habiting couples are on the rise and are not considered abnormal, but you will still be looked upon more favourably in social situations as spouses than as 'we're living together as bf & gf' or whatever.

The main point for me is: Screw tradition or religion or any form of external influence, You do it to make your partner happy.

If it's not religion that's forcing you to marriage then I wouldn't bother with it really. Better to stay safe then be sorry and be in a place where you wished you hadn't been married.
It's likely what the lady wants, and if you love and respect them then you likely eventually get married...
Reply 65
Original post by zippity.doodah
if I ever got married I'd get a pre-nup (if that's even legally binding in this country, knowing our stupid system it's probably not, yet)

I agree fully with the bold, you got to allow prenup as marriage rate will decline.
OP cohabiting with a few cats
Reply 67
Original post by leehadleyaustin
You are right, its too much power shifting away from the man in the relationship to even be worth it. It's totally pointless.

It gives women a reason to divorce. Here if you divorce him you can take his 50% assets, kids and other things!:mad:
Original post by ubi1
Well the women don't care about that piece of paper they care about this piece of paper££££:frown:

No, not necessarily. My wife stood by me when we were living like rock stars and our biggest daily problem was what restaurant should we go to to times when we could barely afford our rent. She does pretty much all the housework. I think girls need marriage because of their emotional and insecure nature, they need a formal commitment. They also tend to be more mainstream, cautious and conservative in thinking and marriage is related to all of those tendencies.
Reply 69
Original post by Drewski
100% of marriages end in divorce or death.
Clearly indicates something.

I really hope if I get married that my marriage ends in the bold.
Reply 70
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Gosh, I hope all the men in here remember to get a pre-nup to protect their MASSIVE FORTUNES.

Well most of us are not MILLIONAIRES so we have even more to lose! Someone who earns £30,000 a year will have to be content with £15000 as wife will get Half!
Original post by ubi1
Well most of us are not MILLIONAIRES so we have even more to lose! Someone who earns £30,000 a year will have to be content with £15000 as wife will get Half!

Are you serious? Do you believe a man will have to give his ex half of his salary for the rest of her life for some reason?
Feminism is not a reason to not get married. Yes, women now have more rights and equality in divorce but that doesn't mean that any woman will marry a man JUST to get half of what he has, unless both you and her are incredibly stupid. I'm male and I'm a feminist, but I dont want to marry just so I can get half of what my wife owns. I want to marry because I love the person I'm with and want to spend my life with them. There is no bigger romantic statement than that in my opinion.
Original post by karmacrunch
Not everyone one is a feminist/feminazi/femithis/femithat etc.
So don't put all of us in one group! In a marriage we are both equal and both should respect one another!
Maybe marriage is for love- just a thought??

I'm going to get some much backlash for this ^^ :tongue:

Which of you lovely people have been giving me reps recently? :smile: xx's
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by Vero_
1- If you feel like you're handing your balls over to your wife you've married the wrong woman.
2- No one has the 'obligation' to do anything like that. What's a decent wife to you? From the rest of the sentence I'd infer that it's sex on tap and remaining physically attractive to you regardless of their personality and emotions. I wouldn't call that love and if that's all you care about it's probably best that you don't get married anyway.
3- Entirely dependent on the situation and if there was a stay at home husband the wife would be under the same obligations of support, if any.
4- God forbid people change their minds about a relationship and be free to sever it's legal ties.
5- If I had a penny for every time I've heard that men will lose half of everything and their houses I'd probably have enough for a money grabbing ex wife to want half :wink: but seriously. You don't 'lose your kids', their welfare is always paramount in deciding custody and courts are very diligent to ensure that they aren't cut off from one parent. You don't have to give your spouse half your money, financial arrangements are again entirely dependent on the situation, and marital home rights are complicated enough for me to not want to go into them in depth but simple enough to tell you that, usually husbands, don't just have the house they bought taken off them and given to their wife to live happily ever after in.

Marriage is a legal contract, hence why parties still have obligations towards each other. It's not actually a method by which women can sneak in and run away with all of a man's assets, or one by which men get to have a wife do everything they want them to and then when they're bored or they don't do what they're told they can be dumped with nothing. Gawd.

Well everybody goes thinking into the marriage that they have got the right women, no? but still the disaster happens! Maybe if the STUPID LAW didn't encourage divorce then things wouldn't be so bad.
Reply 75
Original post by Shefflibs
Men get married if they want to- simple really.

Religion is the only thing holding me back:frown:
Reply 76
Original post by redferry
So why should a woman get married?

- We hand our vaginas over to our husband.
- men have no obligation to be decent husbands, often drinking and gambling all the money away, and getting huge beer guts.
- women's earning potential falls significantly in average after divorce whilst the mans increases
- 50% of marriages end in divorce
- women often get left with the kids in the week, taking on the brunt of childcare, while the man gets them on the weekends when they have time pare to do fun things.

You get many benefits which men obviously don't get during divorce and after FULLSTOP!:rolleyes:
Reply 77
Original post by Part of a team
Like someone else mentioned, prenups are useless in the UK. Our culture that is built around worshiping and cocooning women and children is to blame for that. 50% of marriages end in divorce so finding ''the one'' is a pretty daunting task. People also change. And what does femininity have to do with anything? Career, masculine women can be as vicious during a divorce, probably even more so because of a more competitive personality. Not to mention a successful woman will marry an even more successful man pretty much all the time, since few women seem to tolerate the idea of marrying ''down'' (literally and metaphorically if you add in most women's ''heightism''.

The worst part in all this is when the court forces the husband to pay for the wife's lawyer that she's using to rape him. You couldn't make it up, you really couldn't.

Why so hard? Humongous risk...:frown:
Reply 78
Like someone else mentioned, prenups are useless in the UK. Our culture that is built around worshiping and cocooning women and children is to blame for that. 50% of marriages end in divorce so finding ''the one'' is a pretty daunting task. People also change. And what does femininity have to do with anything? Career, masculine women can be as vicious during a divorce, probably even more so because of a more competitive personality. Not to mention a successful woman will marry an even more successful man pretty much all the time, since few women seem to tolerate the idea of marrying ''down'' (literally and metaphorically if you add in most women's ''heightism''.

The worst part in all this is when the court forces the husband to pay for the wife's lawyer that she's using to rape him. You couldn't make it up, you really couldn't.

Are you serious?:eek::eek:

Even I didn't know that....:angry:

Talk about adding insult and humiliation to the case!:mad:
:eek:
Reply 79
Except you don't. Marital rape is illegal in all of the western world and idea of sex as a duty has been dead for many years. Long gone are the times of ''Lie on your back and think of England'' . If anything, women refusing it for just about any reason is encouraged and used as a mean of ''empowerment'', whether for blackmail or simply to show the man who's in charge. Go to any female dominated forum and you'll see thousands of wives complain about their husbands being lazy, not making enough money and other traditional ''masculine'' expectations while they feel entitled to refuse sex or cook under any pretext. As a popular joke among guys going for foreign brides says, ''asian wives don't get headaches''. And btw, I thought feminists always claimed women need sex as much as men. So where's the problem?

I thought the same thing as well. It's bunch of BS.

Latest

Trending

Trending