The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why should men get married these days?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by donutaud15
Then don't get married. However it's none of your business if other men decide to do so.

If my marriage don't work out I don't plan on taking anything from my husband. I'll only take what I had before marrying and things we bought together can be split equally.

Also don't get why wives have to be the one to do the cooking? Surely it should be voluntary depending on who wants to do it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If only other women were like you life wouldn't be so hard!:frown:
Original post by ubi1
You get many benefits which men obviously don't get during divorce and after FULLSTOP!:rolleyes:

You mean like a 30% decline in earnings?
Reply 82
Original post by donutaud15
He will likely make more than me. However I've been told that I can refuse alimony or anything similar if we do separate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But would you really refuse alimony for gods sake?:wink:

I never seen a case or a women refusing allmoney....:o:(
Original post by ubi1
WHY!:frown:

My last hope of marriage is destroyed with no prenup. Law in UK sucks in my opinion!:mad:

Why don't you just marry someone that isn't after your money?

My boyfriends mum got the shortest deal ever in her divorce because she just wanted rid of his dad so much...
Reply 84
Original post by Laurenjoys
It's just a piece of paper and the most expensive day of your life.
It's easy to be happy with someone without marriage :colondollar:

Im a woman and I dislike the idea of marriage as well. I'm not religious in any way, so why should I?

Great, your happy without marriage why change something your happy with?:wink:
Reply 85
Original post by Clip
Not only do husbands get convicted, they get convicted against all principles of law and human rights.

SW v UK, CR v UK (1996), two husbands retrospectively convicted for marital rapes commited before it was illegal (i.e. before the exemption ended). The courts basically said "you should have known this would be illegal sooner or later". One of the most egregious blights on recent legal history, if you ask me.

Is marital rape a terribe thing? Yes. Is it "good" that it is illegal? Yes. However, is it just to convict a person of an act that was not a crime when he committed it?

On pre-nups-

They only really take effect if there are no other considerations to make - children and needs would come first. In your typical small-money divorce, it would almost certainly have no effect. It's notable that the case law on ante-nuptial contracts is exceptionally thin, and all this is being made on the basis of the Radmacher case. The first ante-nuptial contract given effect in this country - and guess what? It was in favour of a rich wife enforcing it against her less wealthy husband.

On divorce rates -

Less than 50%, closer to 40% and have generally been falling steadily for decades. The average length of a marriage is very long - more than 30 years.

Prenups make my heart sink...:frown:

It only works for women!:redface:
Reply 86
Original post by Clip
On division of property:

It's not 50%. 50% is supposed to be the starting point, but most divorces are small-money cases, and needs (usually children) will take priority.

An ex-husband can easily be left with much less than 50% of assets, much less than 50% of access to children and obligations lasting long into the future. A wife can potentially make claim on assets that a husband does not even have yet.

That sucks even more I can get married again and still have the pay the gold digger money! Leaving me and wife in bad position:frown::angry:
Reply 87
Pschh nope. I am the "breadwinner" in my relationship! I get my own paperz brah

Your in the minority who get their own money wise women.:wink:
Original post by ubi1
If it's not religion that's forcing you to marriage then I wouldn't bother with it really. Better to stay safe then be sorry and be in a place where you wished you hadn't been married.

So from my whole explanation on why I'm getting married, which lists some wholesome and good reasons why you should or why you 'shouldn't not' get married you choose to highlight the single sentence fragment about religion which is tacked onto the end as a throwaway line?

Interesting.
Reply 89
OP cohabiting with a few cats

cohabiting with cats> marriage!:wink:
Reply 90
Original post by Part of a team
No, not necessarily. My wife stood by me when we were living like rock stars and our biggest daily problem was what restaurant should we go to to times when we could barely afford our rent. She does pretty much all the housework. I think girls need marriage because of their emotional and insecure nature, they need a formal commitment. They also tend to be more mainstream, cautious and conservative in thinking and marriage is related to all of those tendencies.

I agree its more of a girls thing then a man's thing as it obviously benefits the girl and puts the man at bigger risk. And ye you seem to have a good partner which I can only dream of.:redface:
Reply 91
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Are you serious? Do you believe a man will have to give his ex half of his salary for the rest of her life for some reason?

Yes terrible for those who poor like me....:frown:

If I was married and divorced it would be life destroyer.
Original post by ubi1
Yes terrible for those who poor like me....:frown:

If I was married and divorced it would be life destroyer.

Gosh, you're dumb AND stubborn. You'll be lucky if you trick anyone into marrying you anyway, so not to worry.
Reply 93
Original post by GeorgeBuxey94
Feminism is not a reason to not get married. Yes, women now have more rights and equality in divorce but that doesn't mean that any woman will marry a man JUST to get half of what he has, unless both you and her are incredibly stupid. I'm male and I'm a feminist, but I dont want to marry just so I can get half of what my wife owns. I want to marry because I love the person I'm with and want to spend my life with them. There is no bigger romantic statement than that in my opinion.

Look mate most people if not all come into the marriage thinking there in love but divorce still happens shortly after and 70% of the time its women who are initiating the divorce. :frown:
I never used to think of marriage as it seemed like a terrible idea to me, but my boyfriend confessed to me that he would like to marry me one day. Marriage can be for love you know :tongue:
Reply 95
Original post by redferry
You mean like a 30% decline in earnings?

Not as bad as paying 50% alimoney to you, no? you decide whats better 30% decrease in earnings or paying allmoney....:redface:
Original post by ubi1
But would you really refuse alimony for gods sake?:wink:

I never seen a case or a women refusing allmoney....:o:(

I would because it's his money. He wouldn't have any responsibility to me if the marriage ends so why should I accept it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Original post by redferry
Why don't you just marry someone that isn't after your money?

My boyfriends mum got the shortest deal ever in her divorce because she just wanted rid of his dad so much...

Problem is there is no guarantee your partner truly loves you. And as I've pointed out before in this thread that I don't control anybody's mind, my partner could always be scheming a devious and deceitful plan out of the marriage by divorcing and taking my money and then getting into a relationship with someone else enjoying life with my money but with someone else.
Reply 98
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Gosh, you're dumb AND stubborn. You'll be lucky if you trick anyone into marrying you anyway, so not to worry.

More like forced into marriage then tricked. But you won't understand.
Original post by ubi1
I agree its more of a girls thing then a man's thing as it obviously benefits the girl and puts the man at bigger risk. And ye you seem to have a good partner which I can only dream of.:redface:

I wasn't keen on getting married, it was mostly my husband. So sometimes it's a man's thing rather than a woman.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending