The Student Room Group

'Preferred'

Some universities list some subjects as 'preferred'
For example, Mechanical Engineering, they want Maths A level at grade B. And say A level Physics preferred. [320 Points needed]

What are the odds that you'd get in without Physics? Providing you got an A/A* at Maths with 340+ Points.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by edothero
Some universities list some subjects as 'preferred'
For example, Mechanical Engineering, they want Maths A level at grade B. And say A level Physics preferred. [320 Points needed]

What are the odds that you'd get in without Physics? Providing you got an A/A* at Maths with 340+ Points.

For mech eng with maths and further maths they would generally expect physics AS level if not at A level (ie picked up in your A2 year as an extra AS once you realise that this is what you want to apply/study for).

Applying without physics AS or A level would put you at a significant disadvantage unless there was a reason (ie your school doesn't offer physics) to explain the absence.
It depends on the competitiveness of both the university and the course, I guess. My course 'preferred' chemistry, yet I got in even with an E at AS level and having dropped it. You could probably still apply and have a chance, or else they'd make it a requirement. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending