The Student Room Group

I dropped out of university in my third year, ask me anything.

I'm a university dropout, ask me anything.
try to be a bit imaginative.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Why you drop out?
Original post by Cyphrex
Why you drop out?

predictable.

I felt it was too much, I was missing all my deadlines. basically I wasn't cut out for higher education.
If you could go back to a period of time to change something. What would it be and why?
What are the good and bad points of university as the years go on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by sherlockfan
x

What advice would you give to someone who is about to fail his first year exams?

I'm interested in the course but after letting depression take over me, I've really suffered this year. So demotivated.
I'm so clueless at the moment.
Original post by Cyphrex
If you could go back to a period of time to change something. What would it be and why?

ooh interesting. there are so many things i regret :tongue:

that time i was having work experience at Leavesden Studios and Daniel Radcliffe walked by. I wish I had had the courage to say hello. I had a massive crush on him back in the days.

i also wish i'd taken the chance and had sex when i had the opportunity at 15...
Original post by senz72
What advice would you give to someone who is about to fail his first year exams?

I'm interested in the course but after letting depression take over me, I've really suffered this year. So demotivated.
I'm so clueless at the moment.

what are you studying?

does your tutor know about your situation? i believe you are allowed to resit.
Reply 8
Original post by SolidSnake1510

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am solid snake
Reply 9
x

Plan after dropping out?
Reply 10
what are you studying?

does your tutor know about your situation? i believe you are allowed to resit.

I'm studying Econ (I know soft course), but it's the history parts that I'm failing on (compulsory modules.)

My department now know but my supervisor doesn't. He's some hard-ass German who doesn't actually give a damn.
I'm hoping they allow me to resit, it depends on how many resits I need. :frown:
Original post by SolidSnake1510

Posted from TSR Mobile

there are so many bad points but ill only mention a few.
-the awkwardness of living in halls of residence when you are not friends with anyone there.
-the noise at 4am in the morning from drinking games you dont want to be part of.
-rushing to deadlines.
-exams
-trying to find a room to rent at the last minute.

a few good points
-getting to know a knew city
-buying the textbooks, i suppose that was exciting for me, but thats because i am a nerd.
-not living with your parents
-the relief when the year is finished and you have passed.
-and, needless to mention, the graduation ceremony (which i didn't go to, but i imagine it would have been amazing, especially as mine would have been in Canterbury cathedral).
are you happy?
Original post by senz72
I'm studying Econ (I know soft course), but it's the history parts that I'm failing on (compulsory modules.)

My department now know but my supervisor doesn't. He's some hard-ass German who doesn't actually give a damn.
I'm hoping they allow me to resit, it depends on how many resits I need. :frown:

dont panic. you will always be allowed to resit due to extenuating circumstances. i know it seems like a big deal now but in a few months it won't matter. if you have depression try to get some counselling.

i would let your supervisor know though. even if he doesn't give a ****, you will have at least done the right thing.
If you could give advice to those like me going into year 13 or 12 what would it be? Im not necessarily talking specifically about unis and such but from your life experience, what you feel we should know or do?

Another how have you dreams/ambitions changed over time?
Reply 15
dont panic. you will always be allowed to resit due to extenuating circumstances. i know it seems like a big deal now but in a few months it won't matter. if you have depression try to get some counselling.

i would let your supervisor know though. even if he doesn't give a ****, you will have at least done the right thing.

Thanks dude. I'm getting counselling right now.

I think my supervisor now knows through the EC form.
I'm hoping they'll allow me to do a few exams as a first sitting over the Summer but if it's capped at 40, no worries. As long as I pass I guess.
Original post by asr11
Plan after dropping out?

im just living day by day, i dont really have any plans.
since dropping out ive been doing a foundation course in Acting and some volunteering for Oxfam which ive now left. the volunteering was ****. i would have had the choice to continue with acting next year but its very intensive and it requires commitment and energy that i dont think i can give. if i was going to continue i would need to be absolutely certain that i could do it, and i'm not, so..
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by senz72
Thanks dude. I'm getting counselling right now.

I think my supervisor now knows through the EC form.
I'm hoping they'll allow me to do a few exams as a first sitting over the Summer but if it's capped at 40, no worries. As long as I pass I guess.

right now just do your best. 20 minutes of revision at a time and then a break, no more. i know how hard it can be to concentrate when you are depressed. these exams that cap out at 40 are very hard to fail.
Original post by Cyphrex
If you could give advice to those like me going into year 13 or 12 what would it be? Im not necessarily talking specifically about unis and such but from your life experience, what you feel we should know or do?

Another how have you dreams/ambitions changed over time?

i wish i could give you sound advice. i know it seems like a 22 year old is or should be a lot older and wiser than a teenager, but actually i am no different from the way i was back then :lol:
listen to your tutors. make friends and keep in touch with them after youve left. everyone i knew just hasn't bothered. avoid getting into trouble. dont drink too much.
oh, and something else i see a lot of young people do...DON'T post photos on facebook of lots of empty beer bottles and cans of alcohol. it doesnt look good, and it certainly doesnt look good to future employers.
Go to lots of Open Days. Dont accept a place from a university you haven't visited.
as for dreams and ambitions, as sad as it seems i dont really have any. i have small pleasures in life, i enjoy my reading. but it means that i wont be dissapointed, and i will be all the more grateful for any stroke of luck that comes along.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by raza don
I am solid snake
Brother, I'm a whole different game from Liquid.

Quick Reply

Latest