The Student Room Group

Why don't more people learn in automatics?

After 3 years, £1000's on lessons and 4 tests I had pretty much resigned myself to being one of those people who 'doesn't drive'.

Unfortunately the jobs I am applying for all require a valid UK license and access to own transport to travel within the community. Therefore I had hit a brick wall and was being forced to learn to drive against my will.

It all seemed very hopeless until I discovered automatic transmission. I had a go in my dad's car (private land, don't worry) and it was amazing. It was like all the stress and worry of driving had gone and all I had to focus on were the important parts like steering and braking... Instead of worrying about stalling or when to put the clutch down (or what the clutch was even for).

I now plan to pass in an automatic car. I know they are more expensive to buy but Im willing to spend more knowing I'll be so much more confident to drive it.

I also realise I won't be able to drive a manual, but in my eyes it's either auto or nothing. I can always take my manual test in a few years when I'm more competent.

I don't understand why everyone doesn't drive automatics... They're just so much easier!
Most people, if they really can't learn how to drive a manual, probably should but again for first time drivers the price of buying one of these vehicles will stop them.
Posh people have autos so why not start with one. I really like them. Even if you are a good driver the gears are hard work mentally and physically hour after hour. Nothing better than just purring along in a Mercedes with no stress.
A manual Passat is far superior than an automatic Passat is the reason why.
Reply 4
What the ****? If you can't cope with the gears and don't have a thorough understanding of what the gears do, you shouldn't be driving at all...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kaneda
What the ****? If you can't cope with the gears and don't have a thorough understanding of what the gears do, you shouldn't be driving at all...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I vaguely understand the gears and clutch, but I find it stressful and confusing when coupled with trying to do maneuvers and dodging traffic!
Original post by Kaneda

Posted from TSR Mobile

In a world where automatics exist, I don't see why this should be the case.
Manuals are more fun. I love the feeling of changing gear :3
Reply 8
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I vaguely understand the gears and clutch, but I find it stressful and confusing when coupled with trying to do maneuvers and dodging traffic!

Once you get used to gear changing it will be like breathing itself

It's important to know in what gear you in even in automatics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kaneda
Once you get used to gear changing it will be like breathing itself

It's important to know in what gear you in even in automatics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The gears weren't the problem, it was things like the biting point and hill starts that were terrible (using the clutch and break) . Even thinking about stalling at traffic lights 8 times in a row (which happened in my first test) makes me panic! I just never felt in control.
Reply 10
Hmm, could be the car or your seating position... Well do your beast then ^^

Posted from TSR Mobile
It won't be long until manual gearboxes are consigned to the history books :-( With electric vehicles starting to become viable and commonplace there will be no need for them. Sad, but true !
HGVs often don't come with automatics [a few do]. Faced with driving a "6-by" [otherwise known as a 6x6 - those big, dual axle canvas covered trucks you see them transporting troops & freight in in war movies] over the foothills of the "Hindu Kush" [the foothills of the Himalayan range, you will find that automatic gearboxes exist only in your dreams. Close to hand, you will find either a 5 speed or 6 speed (manual - of course) gearbox, coupled to a 2 speed rear end - giving you the choice of 10 or 12 forward speeds. These come in very handy when working your way up steep, ice-covered grades with 3 or 4 tons of freight on board. This is a GMC "CCKW" , Jimmy, or "G-508" going by the ordinance catalog number for it. It is 'rated' as a 2 1/2 ton truck - but that doesn't limit you to that weight on it. Ask any army transport driver. /search?sxsrf=ACYBGNRqRPryxesusBQKtfu3ZdlLFGJGKQ:1576186370882&q=GMC+CCKW+2%C2%BD-ton+6x6+truck&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOOQUeLSz9U3MMkzLsutMhIuzqxQKM9ITc0pVihLzchMzkktjuIyS6o0UygpKk3OPsXIDVJtaFRelGOSc4qRE8QztygoSjnFCDbHyLQyyyAXyoEYClVllJFRUgllm6TnVRbAdKdVVZpDNaQUm5lUmMA4RRUZOSkwVSnZ8Um_GIWDMd23iFXK3ddZwdnZO1zB6NBe3ZL8PAWzCqiDASzzJYfgAAAA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi4vPHlh7HmAhXKGc0KHUy2BlMQxA0wI3oECAsQCw&sxsrf=ACYBGNRqRPryxesusBQKtfu3ZdlLFGJGKQ:1576186370882&biw=924&bih=608 For pictures
Manuals aren't actually harder *shrug*
You are limiting your choice of cars by about 60%, driving manual is not stressful... you actually have control of your car. Wouldn’t want an auto even if it were free, unless it was some high performance car ofcourse. I don’t see how gear changing is hard probably the simplest element of driving.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending