The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Roger Kirk
You are exactly the sort of person which needs to be persuaded to go down the science root.

You obviously have some sort of talent for maths and science, otherwise you wouldn't have got the A*'s at GCSE, yet you have chosen not to go down a science root.

Governments or who ever need to identify the people who this and ask them questions such as 'why did you choose not to study sciences?' or 'why did you chose the subjects you did?', 'what is it about science which doesn't interest you?', 'what would make it more interesting/enjoyable/fun?', 'what would have made you more likely to study sciences to A Level and beyond?

Collect enough information from such people from questions like that and hopefully a picture will start to develop of where science education is going wrong and some indications of how to increase people studying it to higher levels. You can just wave a magic wand to make science subjects worth more UCAS points and hope that solves the problem for you with no effort at all.

So, supercat, feel free to try and answer those questions above, so at least we can maybe start to see the reasons :smile:

This is quite difficult to think about. I did well in GCSEs, so I had a lot of choice A-Level wise. I chose all my subjects because I enjoyed them (with, perhaps, the exception of German, which I chose because I thought it would be useful to have a language). So why not sciences? I know it's not exactly insightful, but they were boring to me. I never really got interested in Bunsen burners and I was always breaking test tubes. I suppose I have a more arty brain than a scientific one; I honestly don't think that's down to choice. I've always read, since I was little and so I've always loved English. With science, I never really enjoyed it except for when I was little and got to play with water.

I suppose one reason for science not interesting me that much is that a) it was all very theoretical and although we did practical work we had to write it up afterwards, with diagrams and lists of apparatus, which seemed to be a complete waste of time to me, and b) because it never appeared to be that relevant. I took psychology at A-Level, and although it was very theoretical and we even did research, it was all so much more interesting because I could relate to it. I don't think I liked the fact that there was always a right answer in science. Perhaps I would have preferred it if we had essays such as "Creationism - discuss".

I don't know what would have made science more enjoyable - probably, to be honest, it's just a matter of what is taught and how it is taught. Fundamentally, I think it's down to the way you are. Some people have a scientific brain, and others an arty one. At least, that's the way I see it.

I honestly can't think of a way to make science more attractive. UCAS points are not the answer, but then again I don't know what is. I'm sorry - this probably isn't very helpful!
Apagg
I'm not. Deal with it.

Well seeing that the internet is accessible from all parts of the world, it's a bit silly to correct me for writing "math" correctly where I am located.
Reply 82
:wink:
supercat
This is quite difficult to think about. I did well in GCSEs, so I had a lot of choice A-Level wise. I chose all my subjects because I enjoyed them (with, perhaps, the exception of German, which I chose because I thought it would be useful to have a language). So why not sciences? I know it's not exactly insightful, but they were boring to me. I never really got interested in Bunsen burners and I was always breaking test tubes. I suppose I have a more arty brain than a scientific one; I honestly don't think that's down to choice. I've always read, since I was little and so I've always loved English. With science, I never really enjoyed it except for when I was little and got to play with water.

I suppose one reason for science not interesting me that much is that a) it was all very theoretical and although we did practical work we had to write it up afterwards, with diagrams and lists of apparatus, which seemed to be a complete waste of time to me, and b) because it never appeared to be that relevant. I took psychology at A-Level, and although it was very theoretical and we even did research, it was all so much more interesting because I could relate to it. I don't think I liked the fact that there was always a right answer in science. Perhaps I would have preferred it if we had essays such as "Creationism - discuss".

I don't know what would have made science more enjoyable - probably, to be honest, it's just a matter of what is taught and how it is taught. Fundamentally, I think it's down to the way you are. Some people have a scientific brain, and others an arty one. At least, that's the way I see it.

I honestly can't think of a way to make science more attractive. UCAS points are not the answer, but then again I don't know what is. I'm sorry - this probably isn't very helpful!
Thanks anyway for your answer. I wouldn't expect the opinions and experiences of just one person to provided the perfect answer to the questions 'what is wrong with science education?' and 'how can we solve the problem?', but there are a few things of interested, which I've highlighted above. I think that if someone had the time and access to people to ask similar questions and them analysed the answers I think it'd be possible to find loads of comments like those I highlighted which could then be looked at and altogether start to show exactly what is wrong and what can be done.

An interesting point you made about essay writing. The possibility of introducing a section like that into science courses would be a rout to go down (I know for my general studies exam had a science essay section which I loved answering (in a mock exam I wrote about how scientific developments are helping further performances in sport, in another I wrote about the greenhouse effect and my opinions on it's causes and effects.)

Though science GCSEs and A Levels should primarily be focused on the basic theory and in developing the practical side of things there could well be a place for the essays too. The essays would provide an outlet for scientific thoughts, opinions and even creativity if the essay questions were structure correctly. It would allow sciences not to be so much about 'this is what happens now repeat it' (either writing it down or in a practical experiment) or 'this is what we see, why is this?', but it'd allow people to go somewhere into expressing their own opinions on a topic, what could be, how things could develop in the future (perhaps the most exciting thing and something which isn't touched upon in sciences at school level).

I'm not saying an essay type section is the sole answer, not that it'd work for everyone. But it could well be an option placed into science subjects to try and increase interest by allowing more personal involvement, innovation and more scientific thinking and development (as opposed to looking at science from the past and what other people did).
Double the wages of all chemistry and physics alevel teachers in the country along with the funding for research. Increase the tax free benifits for UK science graduates if they study phds such as maybe refunding their tution fees if they study physics or chemistry.

Easy solution to solve the problems in science is to simply increase the wages of academics in the field and those who provide the path way to science degrees. This would ensure a higher standard of graduate and teacher and led to better students.

Do you think the government is serious about trying to solve this problem is maybe a better question?

Edit: also sort out the cirriculum. Ensure maths is a required subject for anyone wanting to study chemistry or physics at A2 as then more physics can be done in physics lessons.
Reply 85
Wouldn't introducing further requirements deter potential Biology and Chemistry students?
Reply 86
material breach
Edit: also sort out the cirriculum. Ensure maths is a required subject for anyone wanting to study chemistry or physics at A2 as then more physics can be done in physics lessons.

I disagree, if only for the fact that although Physics and Chemistry both demand some knowledge of Mathematics, it's not enough to warrent forcing a student into taking Maths, especially when it may not be something the are comfortable with. The demands of a Mathematics A Level far outstrips the Mathematical demand of both of those A-levels.

Also since most students only do 3 A Levels, doing both Chemistry and Physics would mean that with Maths, they couldn't do an arts subject, hence their studies would not be as diverse. Students may then avoid those two subjects, even if they intend to study them, if only to avoid Maths.
Reply 87
Also since most students only do 3 A Levels, doing both Chemistry and Physics would mean that with Maths, they couldn't do an arts subject, hence their studies would not be as diverse. Students may then avoid those two subjects, even if they intend to study them, if only to avoid Maths.

I thought that was the whole point of the AS system, to encourage you to have a wider bredth of knowledge. Maybe if more people did sciences at AS they may start to think that a particular subject is not that bad they could continue it for university. However since most universities prefer you to do two science A levels for a science course. That might be a bit of a problem.

Oh Apagg and Shady Lane, you two crack em up. :smile:
Reply 88
Interestingly, according to the BBC,

SUBJECT ENTRIES
last year's position in brackets
1 (1) English 86,640
2 (2) General Studies 58,967
3 (4) Mathematics 55,982
4 (3) Biology 54,890
5 (5) Psychology 52,621
6 (6) History 46,944
7 (7) Art & Design Subjects 41,989
8 (8) Chemistry 40,064
9 (9) Geography 32,522
10 (11) Media/Film/TV Studies 30,964

There are more people doing Maths, Bio and Chem than Media Studies. Dear me, I am disappointed, could it be that the Daily Mail has misled the public yet again?

Anyway, why is it that Chem and Bio thrive (relatively so) whilst Physics is on the wane?
Reply 89
Because biology and chemistry are required for medicine and maths is seen as easier than physics so a lot of medical school applicants use it as their third subject. Physics however is not required for medicine and has a rep as being REALLY hard thus a lot of people ignore it.
Apagg
Interestingly, according to the BBC,

SUBJECT ENTRIES
last year's position in brackets
1 (1) English 86,640
2 (2) General Studies 58,967
3 (4) Mathematics 55,982
4 (3) Biology 54,890
5 (5) Psychology 52,621
6 (6) History 46,944
7 (7) Art & Design Subjects 41,989
8 (8) Chemistry 40,064
9 (9) Geography 32,522
10 (11) Media/Film/TV Studies 30,964

There are more people doing Maths, Bio and Chem than Media Studies. Dear me, I am disappointed, could it be that the Daily Mail has misled the public yet again?

Anyway, why is it that Chem and Bio thrive (relatively so) whilst Physics is on the wane?

I think what the media like the daily Mail are picking up on is the fact that over the last 10/15 years Media and related studies has risen up from no where on the popular list while sciences and maths, while still in high positions have fallen dramatically in terms of numbers taking them.

Would you believe that only 5 years ago when I did my maths A Level there were, I think about 68,000 others doing maths. I think last year that had dropped down to about 52,000, which is a huge difference (thankfully this year there was a slight increase....almost by 5% I think).

But the problem still remains that fewer people are taking maths and sciences and even fewer of those are then going on to do maths, traditional sciences and engineering at university which is causing a lack of qualified people in those fields at a time when we realistically need more than ever before.
Maybe you shouldn't even take A-Levels unless you plan to go to a top uni or do a traditional course. Maybe it should be a different qualification, or students could be marked on coursework. I mean, Media Studies wouldn't be an A-Level, but you could still go on to do a BA in Media Studies.

In the US most students that end up at top unis do AP exams in high school, which are equivalent to A-Levels. But most students who end up at average/bad universities haven't done APs. So having a 4 or 5 score at AP still means something, as the AP curriculum is more challenging than the regular high school curriculum, and it's a qualification that most people do not receive.
love2learn7
considering the actual word in question is 'mathematicS' the abbreviation is maths.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics
"The word "mathematics" is often abbreviated math in the U.S. and Canada and maths in Britain, Ireland, Australia and many Commonwealth countries."

Given that nearly 300 million English speakers in the world call it math, please just accept it as a dialect difference and stop trying to make me feel stupid and correct it.
shady lane
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics
"The word "mathematics" is often abbreviated math in the U.S. and Canada and maths in Britain, Ireland, Australia and many Commonwealth countries."

Given that nearly 300 million English speakers in the world call it math, please just accept it as a dialect difference and stop trying to make me feel stupid and correct it.

But you've got to admit, shortening it to 'math' is still a bit odd. I mean, mathematics is almost like a plural-y type word. You'd expect an abbreviation to at least retain this plural-like property of the word rather than positively make it appear singular-like....()I know it;s not really plural singular, but I've no better way of describing the 's' on the end of mathematics).

also, 'maths' is much easier to say and rolls off the tongue better than 'math', which sort of stops you mid-sentence when you say it :wink: :biggrin: :p:
shady lane
Does having more science graduates from mediocre universities help this problem? No offense, but I've seen some people on TSR doing degrees in chemistry or math with Cs at A-Level. Somehow I'm not sure they're going to necessarily be the leading scientists and engineers for the country.

How do you know? There are many examples in chemistry alone where people have gone on to a career in science after Cs (or worse) at a-level. The more people with degrees, the bigger the pool of resources from which to draw out the scientists and engineers of the future. I do think it is a) rather naive and b) rather dismissive to assume that those who didn't get the top grades at A-level are going to be incapable of making an impact in science and engineering in this country.

With a growing dependancy on hi-tech industries we need more people with technical and scientific skills. Someone with C's at A-level is going to be far more useful to the economy if they train as a chemist or engineer than if they study sociology for instance.
ChemistBoy
How do you know? There are many examples in chemistry alone where people have gone on to a career in science after Cs (or worse) at a-level. The more people with degrees, the bigger the pool of resources from which to draw out the scientists and engineers of the future. I do think it is a) rather naive and b) rather dismissive to assume that those who didn't get the top grades at A-level are going to be incapable of making an impact in science and engineering in this country.

With a growing dependancy on hi-tech industries we need more people with technical and scientific skills. Someone with C's at A-level is going to be far more useful to the economy if they train as a chemist or engineer than if they study sociology for instance.

Yes but someone with As/Bs at A-Level and a degree in economics and languages would probably be more useful to the economy than the chemist you are talking about. Especially as it's relatively easy to get a student from Asia to come over, who is smarter than the C-grade British student. By the way your government already has a scheme in place to do just that-the Science and Engineering Graduate Scheme.
Reply 96
ChemistBoy
<snip>

Not to mention examination performance isn't always an indicator of ability
shady lane
Yes but someone with As/Bs at A-Level and a degree in economics and languages would probably be more useful to the economy than the chemist you are talking about. Especially as it's relatively easy to get a student from Asia to come over, who is smarter than the C-grade British student. By the way your government already has a scheme in place to do just that-the Science and Engineering Graduate Scheme.

Erm, its not like you can swap a C grade student in chemistry for an A grade student in economics. I still maintain that that person would be more useful to the economy having taken a degree that gives them skills that are in high demand by business.

The SEGS is a response to a lack of supply internally, not a response to a lack of quality. Being grade-smart doesn't neccessarily make you good at research or technical problem solving either (I speak from interesting experiences with chinese research students).

Of course, what would I know, I didn't get any A's.
ChemistBoy

You must be a right thicko then! You didn't get AAAA at A-level? Your life isn't worth living, how could you ever go on to be a decent scientist or ever get a phd...
ChemistBoy
Erm, its not like you can swap a C grade student in chemistry for an A grade student in economics. I still maintain that that person would be more useful to the economy having taken a degree that gives them skills that are in high demand by business.

The SEGS is a response to a lack of supply internally, not a response to a lack of quality. Being grade-smart doesn't neccessarily make you good at research or technical problem solving either (I speak from interesting experiences with chinese research students).

Wouldn't giving more points for science A-Levels produce even less qualified science students? They'd be able to get a place at uni with worse marks than are required now!

Latest

Trending

Trending