The Student Room Group

Why can't I drive?

Hello... I've made a gap after my compulsory driving lessons and now I have taken 5 additional lessons. I hoped it would be ok...Unfortunately, I only realized how bad I am. The instructor is strict and constantly points out my mistakes saying I would fail. He is not bad or irrespectful and I know it's my fault but driving with him really makes me stressed and nervous. The instructor I've had before was nice but not strict enough. I feel that my biggest weaknesses are not being able to do all the things at the same time (switch gears, signal, look at the mirrors and other cars, etc.). Also am somewhat scared and my reaction time is slow. This is just the way I've been all my life - a shy, slow, weak uncoordinated girl doing bad at physical education classes. And it's easy for me to lose focus, get nervous and forget things because of that. I don't know, maybe I even have some kind of health condition.
However I must pass my exam in July because my contract with driving school ends then. I can't afford to take additional lessons so I will drive with my mom, but I am afraid that I can cause dangerous situation. Could it be that I will do better with mom who doesn't make me stressed? And can it be so that I'm just a very slow learner and need more time? Also, I think automatic car would be better but there is no opportunity to learn on it.
I feel so hopeless...Today I came home after lesson just wanting to cry :cry: Probably there are people who are not made for driving, maybe I am one of them? But the I've wasted a lot of money for nothing...I feel I'd just rather be at home reading books quietly or relaxing in the nature than being a stupid woman on the road. Although I really want to be able to drive, it feels like it's not for me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sandy99
Hello... I've made a gap after my compulsory driving lessons and now I have taken 5 additional lessons. I hoped it would be ok...Unfortunately, I only realized how bad I am. The instructor is strict and constantly points out my mistakes saying I would fail. He is not bad or irrespectful and I know it's my fault but driving with him really makes me stressed and nervous. The instructor I've had before was nice but not strict enough. I feel that my biggest weaknesses are not being able to do all the things at the same time (switch gears, signal, look at the mirrors and other cars, etc.). Also am somewhat scared and my reaction time is slow. This is just the way I've been all my life - a shy, slow, weak uncoordinated girl doing bad at physical education classes. And it's easy for me to lose focus, get nervous and forget things because of that. I don't know, maybe I even have some kind of health condition.
However I must pass my exam in July because my contract with driving school ends then. I can't afford to take additional lessons so I will drive with my mom, but I am afraid that I can cause dangerous situation. Could it be that I will do better with mom who doesn't make me stressed? And can it be so that I'm just a very slow learner and need more time? Also, I think automatic car would be better but there is no opportunity to learn on it.
I feel so hopeless...Today I came home after lesson just wanting to cry :cry: Probably there are people who are not made for driving, maybe I am one of them? But the I've wasted a lot of money for nothing...I feel I'd just rather be at home reading books quietly or relaxing in the nature than being a stupid woman on the road. Although I really want to be able to drive, it feels like it's not for me.

there there be grand kid

im the same..driving sorta scares me haha p my concentration isnt the best so p

the way I see it is that theres a lot more eejits on the road..so if they can do it you certainly can!

they say with driving its a lot about belief like horse riding ...

if you believe and dont be fearful you can do it

go slow master that and slowly but surely youll build up the confidence

I have faith in yeh kid

now its time you have faith in yourself

adh mor
You will be able to do it, almost everyone learns to drive so it can't be that difficult - some people just take more time than others. When you think about the failures you went to school with that were in the bottom sets, well they learn to drive so i'm sure you can also.
It may be more expensive but changing instructors might help, strict instructors can often be counter productive but they might not realise - if you are brave enough you should tell him that him being strict doesn't help you. If he's a good person he will change his way of teaching you, if he doesn't then see that as a reason to change instructor.
Whatever you do just don't give up, driving is so useful especially as you get older and giving up now will mean spending more money in the future or never learning to drive. Stick at it and no matter how bad you are, you will eventually pick it up.
Dont put yourself down, trust me there are always people who will be crapper than you and some have prob passed! Learning to driving is by no means an easy thing to do but with lots of practise you will able to do it! Also everyone learns it at different rates so it might take a while but thats ok it doesnt make you any worse or any better of a driver, so don't give up, you made it this far havent you? Think of the places you can go and without ever having to take public transport again!

If you feeling nervous a lot of the time, you might be suffering from anxiety, so that something to think about and worth talking about to you GP.

You might also want to think about changing your instructor, trust me i had to change a few times but when i found the one, i just felt comfortable driving with him and learnt so much.....and If you like driving with your mum then go for it, the more practice the better.....

Whatever you do dont give up and approach driving with a positive attitude, if you believe you can then you prob will!

EDIT: ooh don't think by the first sentence that i meant you're a crap driver i meant generally thats all and as everyone has been saying, believe in yourself, your are prob better than a lot that have already passed!
(edited 9 years ago)
You can do it, without a doubt. All you have to do is believe in yourself and focus on some of the positive about your driving. I am a very nervous driver and sometimes because of this my reaction times are sometimes slower than usual. But I have this interest and likeness in wanting to drive, ever since I was a kid I used to hold onto the gear box and slide it from left to right while waiting in the car for my parents. So like me if driving is something you want to do then do not give up and keep going as who knows you might not be as bad as you think or as you are told.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending