The Student Room Group

Birmingham or Manchester for Computer Science Firm?

Hello guys,
So I have got all my offers, and decided to make Nottingham my insurance for requirements of BBB. Now...I need to decided on my firm which is either Birmingham for AAA or Manchester for AAB.

I have visited both, check the modules and they offer pretty much the same course, but Manchester seemed to have a more interesting way of presenting it. When I went to Birmingham, I really liked the area and thought it would be my slice of cake.

Looking at the Guardian's ranking, they put Birmingham as 1st..but is that something I should really take into account? As some people say the Guardian's ranking are whack and it's only another form of advertisement for a uni.

Also, if I do end up getting AAB, would Birmingham be lenient and allow it? ¬_¬

Gosh, this whole situation has been frustrating me! Advice please! :confused:
Original post by Siegraze
Hello guys,
So I have got all my offers, and decided to make Nottingham my insurance for requirements of BBB. Now...I need to decided on my firm which is either Birmingham for AAA or Manchester for AAB.

I have visited both, check the modules and they offer pretty much the same course, but Manchester seemed to have a more interesting way of presenting it. When I went to Birmingham, I really liked the area and thought it would be my slice of cake.

Looking at the Guardian's ranking, they put Birmingham as 1st..but is that something I should really take into account? As some people say the Guardian's ranking are whack and it's only another form of advertisement for a uni.

Also, if I do end up getting AAB, would Birmingham be lenient and allow it? _

Gosh, this whole situation has been frustrating me! Advice please! :confused:

I don't like the tables on principle, but the Guardian ones certainly contain more ludicrous rankings than the others.

No one has any real idea whether Birmingham would accept you with AAB - that depends on how many applicants achieved their offers, how many spaces left, whether they would prefer to fill any vacancies through clearing rather than with 'narrow misses' etc etc etc.

One suggestion is to look at your chances of getting AAA dispassionately. What marks are you carrying forward to A2 from your AS exams? For example, if you had a 90% in Maths then you would have to get lower than 70% not to get an A at A2. Conversely, if you only got 78% at AS, you would need to get 82%+ to get an A overall.
Reply 2
Nah, league tables won't tell you anything.

Possibly in a situation like this - i'd go with the course/departmental setup that looks more favourable. Both are fantastic cities and fantastic universities so you'll find something you like and enjoy outside of your in either. The one thing you can't adjust to your tastes is the work so if Manchester looks more interesting then i'd lean towards that.

All else fails then flip a coin :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending