The Student Room Group

Do you feel happiness when things go wrong for other people?

Yes or no? I'm getting quite curious after something my friend told me about how she can't help but feel smug when people she doesn't like eg her ex go through a problem or obstacle. And it made me wonder whether I have a little bit of that in me and why because I don't want to be this way!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Schadenfreude!

If it's someone I hate then yes I do revel whenever something bad happens to them but I'd rarely communicate my elation because I don't want to be perceived as a petty and spiteful person. :redface:
If I don't like you then yes but I wouldn't show it I'd just smile internally :smile:
Depends how bad it is, there are people I don't like that I'd be happy to say fail an exam or something, but I wouldn't be happy if they died.
Yes.
Reply 5
I'm not gonna lie, yes with some people I don't like I do feel happy inside when I see they are having a bad day. Major things like someone they loved died is different though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I have a fat friend and she's frequently a shadenfreude whenever things go wrong for me. It makes me notice whenever I'm doing it myself and puts me off being a ****. There's just nothing to be gained out of it, if you start to feel those feelings then it says more about you than anything else, that you're dissatisfied with your own life and happiness and need to sort yourself out rather than go about seeking out people who're unhappy or suffering problems to make you feel better.

At the same time if someone's been treating me badly and karma slaps them in the face then well...
Original post by brightcitylights
Yes or no? I'm getting quite curious after something my friend told me about how she can't help but feel smug when people she doesn't like eg her ex go through a problem or obstacle. And it made me wonder whether I have a little bit of that in me and why because I don't want to be this way!

you know what OP ..the ugly truth is yes one would defo feel happiness which would be greater if it happened to someone you despised..

i guess its human nature..
Reply 8
If I dislike them or if I'm particularly unhappy myself then yes. I also love it when people say they found an exam hard when I found it easy. It's not so great when I'm the one that found it difficult and everyone else found it easy, though.
Reply 9
I didn't think I had that evil side to me until I saw this:

Look at it

(edited 9 years ago)
No. I'm too occupied overcoming my own obstacles and making myself happy.
Reply 11
Only to people i don't like.

I can think of two people in particular, where if i ever saw them rotting in a gutter one day I'd probably flop my wang out and piss on them.
No not really.

Only bitter people enjoy that.

Tbh I like it when good things happen to other people because it sets the bar higher for me to jump to. Gives me more motivation to improve myself.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes of course. Unless it's something very very serious.

Maybe you should include a poll?
Only if I really don't like them.
Yes but there are very few people I hate, I mostly feel jealousy and self-hatred when other people do well for themselves, i.e. the reverse. I'd have to concur with Toriar about exams!
Yes. I'm big on schadenfreude if something bad happens to someone I just can't stand. It's a natural thing.
If I don't like someone I actually sometimes hope something bad happens to them or they fail their exams or something. Makes me sound like such a dick lol
Depends on who.. but generally no.
No, but I'm displeased when people I don't like do well.

Quick Reply

Latest