The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
Oxford is bigger, closer to where I live and my sister is there. And I didn't have to get an A* or do STEP for Oxford, and Cambridge mathematicians can be kind of scary...
1) Cambridge Law requires an additional test on top of the LNAT. I wasn't keen on additional tests, especially since it was pretty close to my Prelims.
2) Cambridge has an earlier deadline than Oxford (they sent a team of interviewers here to interview applicants). I needed the extra time to work on the PS!
3) In the event that I got an invitation to interview, it would be a fabulous excuse to see Oxford. :biggrin:
4) In all honesty, I believed I wasn't good enough to get an offer, so I figured being able to live the Harry Potter life for the few days I was there was the closest I'd ever get. :tongue:
5) Most Oxbridge applicants in previous years tend to prefer Oxford rather than Cambridge for my school, and for some odd reason, so did I.
6) Oxford applicants get notified earlier! No need to agonize over Christmas. And pooling is done before/during the interview period rather than after, so no hanging in limbo either.
1) Cambridge boasts the "hardest maths course in Britain"......no ty.
2) Oxford is a cooler city + more clubs
3) To get to Cambridge, I have to get 2 trains and the underground, 1 of the trains going through about 7 tunnels which are ear-pressure-killers :frown: Ouch.
It was tails.
1) Oxford offered the most gorgeous version of the course I chose, at any university. And Cambridge don't even offer an ugly version.
2) Oxford is further from home, thus less chance of parents turning up at odd weekends to baby me :|
3) Cambridge seemed way more full of tourists when I went (I know Oxford is full of them too, oh well)
4) Oxford gave me the chance to do two written tests and submit essays, which is the best thing for someone like me who sucks at interviews.
Classics, Merton, Oxford, because Oxford (according to their website) has the largest Classics department in the world.
Less likely to get lost in Cambridge.

Preferred having less emphasis on the LNAT and the higher chance of interview.

Preferred doing exams at the end of every year which count rather than banking all of my hopes on 3rd year and having to revise subjects from 2 years before.
Reply 507
Maths at Churchill, Cambridge :smile:

1) Maths at Cambridge is world-renowned, and it can be argued that it is the best course in the world.
2) Cambridge is easier to navigate.
3) The maths course decided it for me, but Cambridge is always ranked above Oxford internationally. :smile:
Reply 508
well what made me think of cambridge at fist was the fact that the offer was higher and they look at UMS marks.
my gcses were nothing to shout about but i got an A* in maths early and had decent UMS in all my modules so i always thought i stood a better chance where they can judge my module marks.

also, the course at cambridge (natsci) will definitely make me a decent physicist, and i prefer the city and jesus college cambridge is absolutely awesome :smile:

the myth that you have to do all the sciences and therefore are somehow not as good a physicist annoys me.. il be doing maths, physics, materials and computing/chemistry (havent decided yet) in the first year then its physics and maths from then on i cant wait :biggrin: (sad i know :p: )

Original post by MrCarmady

5) Cambridge are more bothered about the GCSE grades (though a post above states the opposite) + demand A*'s (though that wouldn't be much of a problem for me)

hm i thought it was the other way round, because cambridge check ums scores :s-smilie:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 509
The Cambridge website was easier to navigate than Oxfords.
That's pretty much the only reason I went with Cambridge. =)
Original post by MrCarmady
1) Cambridge doesn't offer my course.
2) Oxford is bigger, but still totally navigable, while Cambridge is smaller and less navigable because of the river.
3) Oxonians seem like warmer people.
4) Oxford is more renowned for Humanities than Cambridge is.
5) Cambridge are more bothered about the GCSE grades (though a post above states the opposite) + demand A*'s (though that wouldn't be much of a problem for me)
6) Oxford is just a tad more accessible from where I live.

Basically, not much of a choice. I wish my college choice in Oxford would have been as overwhelmingly simple.

Don't Oxford care more about gcses? Everyone always says so.
I'd been watching Brideshead Revisited.
That's also why I applied to Hertford College in particular.

And it's also why I am now not watching Brideshead Revisited.
****ing *****.
Reply 512
I applied with quite average GCSEs and got an offer, so I dunno.
Reply 513
the entry requirements for Oxford's psychology course ( A A A ) is lower than Cambridge's ( A* A A).
Does this mean to some extent it's easier to get into oxford than cambridge for this particular course?
Original post by Workhelp
the entry requirements for Oxford's psychology course ( A A A ) is lower than Cambridge's ( A* A A).
Does this mean to some extent it's easier to get into oxford than cambridge for this particular course?

Hardly. Those grades are merely the ticket to the assessment process. Both Oxford and Cambridge are looking for far more, which is why they use the evaluation process that they do.
Original post by legzakimbo
I'd been watching Brideshead Revisited.
That's also why I applied to Hertford College in particular.

And it's also why I am now not watching Brideshead Revisited.
****ing *****.

Should have applied to Christ Church and brought Aloysius to the interview. :biggrin:
Prefer the feel of the town over the city feeling, walking around Cambridge felt special and inspiring, walking around Oxford felt like walking around any other big town/small city.

The History course at Oxford is kinda suckish in separating modern and ancient/modern, and then on top having a separate History + Politics. The Tripos makes more sense for freedom of choice.

And then I knew the interview was my strong ground, so the HAT was the final bolt in the coffin for Oxford for me.
Original post by --
Hmmmm, there is a small difference: Oxford won't know your AS grades if you don't certificate, so if you perform poorly then they won't actually know (they'll only know your predicted grades), while Cambridge ask for UMS scores in every A Level exam you've ever taken. So maybe your friends picked Oxford because they have patchy grades and think it's the better option for them?

(I'm not saying this actually works, but it seems to be a tactic employed by a fair few people on TSR)

I declared a C in Maths AS, including one retake, and an E in Critical Thinking AS. I still got an offer.

It's about the relevance. If you're scraping As in a very good school (since they look at the school's average) at the subjects that relate to the one you want to do, Cambridge will care, but if not far less likely to.

Neither's easier, but you can play the system as it were. Indeed, say you're doing a modular subject like Physics and that's what you want to do at university; if you retook your January AS module you won't want Cambridge to know. Although they're fine with retakes, they ask more so that they know you haven't take it three times to get that A. In the words of the admissions tutor at King's "we all have bad days so the college allows for that".

However, if you're more of an unusual candidate (weird and wonderful A-Level choices; unusual results which I had etc.) be aware that Cambridge will involve a better chance at interview where, all in all, they pay more attention to the interview than Oxford do. Oxford also in many subjects have examinations such as the HAT for History which Cambridge does not; if, like me, you're thinking the interview will be your thang not a written test, then Cambridge is a better choice.

There ya go. All in all though if you got rejected by one I don't think there's a huge chance you're likely to be successful in the other due to just how equally rigorous they are, except in the odd subjects like PPE at Ox, Maths at Cam etc.
As with comrade_jon, I much preferred the Cambridge History course. And Cambridge has always seemed like the more progressive of the two universities, and the more challenging academically.
Reply 519
Original post by Harry S Truman
As with comrade_jon, I much preferred the Cambridge History course. And Cambridge has always seemed like the more progressive of the two universities, and the more challenging academically.

:rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending