Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Why did YOU choose Oxford or Cambridge over the other?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I chose Cambridge. When I went to see Oxford, it rained. When I went to see Cambridge, it was sunny. Obvious choice really.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    One comes earlier in the alphabet
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    After a Cambridge rep came to our school when I was in year 10 to encourage state school students to apply, I was always just aiming for Cambridge, never Oxford. Then when I got into sixth form and had to start thinking about uni, it was always Cambridge for me! I think a part of me knew that I wanted to do the PPS course, even if I didn't know it myself at the time

But yeah, Cambridge offers PPS (and I was especially interested in the sociology aspect), while Oxford offers PPE (no sociology).
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancingqueen)
    I'm at Lincoln, Oxford, doing chemistry. I had 2 main reasons for choosing Oxford over Cambridge. Firstly, as I'm doing science, I would have to have taken natural sciences which I wasn't keen on, I didn't fancy doing all the other options, just wanted to get on with chemistry. As a result, even though Cambridge say their natural sciences course is just as much depth in a single discipline as other universities' single science courses, I know from comparing with friends that I've covered more stuff and done quite a lot of new, cutting edge chemistry that my friend doing chemistry at Cambridge hasn't covered. However, If I'd not been sure I wanted to do chemistry, NatSci would've been ideal, as you can 'try out' subjects befoe you commit yourself to them for your entire degree.
    Secondly, I liked the city of Oxford better than Cambridge. Its bigger, there are more pubs, clubs, cafes etc, and I just like the 'feel' of the place better. Its hard to explain, but I fell in love with Oxford when I visited, and even though I visited Cambridge first, I knew Oxford was where I wanted to be.
    Hey, I want to apply for chemistry as well to oxford!
    I am just wondering what kind of chemistry related things you did for ur PS?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arialaxe)
    Also, my wonderful history teacher (who walked out of Oxford with a 1st, no less, and went on to make a certain website that a lot of history students use) said, and I quote: "Oxford is a bloody dump once you leave the centre." (And he should know: he comes from Telford.)
    Oh my golly -
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oxford, Pembroke, Experimental Psychology

Cambridge didn't offer the same course. I also loved spending 3 days at interview getting to know the other applicants whereas friends that applied to Cambridge enjoyed it far less.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iyley)
    Oh my golly -
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Afraid not, good guess though.

• 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iyley)
    Oh my golly -
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Ahh I just negged you when I meant to pos rep you, I'm sorry! Feel free to return the favour
    Pretty sure I've posted somewhere on this thread before, but oh well. Basically I applied to Oxford because I didn't want the pressure of having to get an A* in history. Which was a very good decision also...inspirational deputy head did history at Oxford, went on a uniq summer school and fell in love with the place (whereas I got rejected from all the Cambridge equivalents that I applied for...), and just generally my school had a relatively bigger history of sending people to Oxford (we now have 5 in the last 5 years vs 1 at Cambridge ) so there was a sense that Oxford was more achievable.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arialaxe)
    Afraid not, good guess though.

AAAAAAAH those head2head things were SO GOOD! Ah Y9 history ah the memories!
    It must be something with Oxonian history teachers and creating AMAZING history sites...

(Original post by flywithemma)
    Ahh I just negged you when I meant to pos rep you, I'm sorry! Feel free to return the favour
    Not to worry
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Could not be dealing with NatSci or maths with physics at Cambridge when there was a lovely straight physics course at Oxford
    • 51 followers

ReputationRep:
    I went to Cambridge because it seemed more manly
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge don't do PPE, hence Oxford.

If they did do PPE, then I would have gone Cambridge.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know if you can bring your pet to Oxbridge with you? And have them stay in your room? A cat for example? I was just thinking about this haha
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David Young)
    Anyone know if you can bring your pet to Oxbridge with you? And have them stay in your room? A cat for example? I was just thinking about this haha
    I'm afraid not. I doubt there would be any exceptions anywhere.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I'm afraid not. I doubt there would be any exceptions anywhere.
    Byron had a pet bear at Cambridge
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge have 114 libraries. Oxford, a meer 102. I think this shows a clear winner.

(Yes, Oxford have one of the most cool libraries in the world, but shush... quantity not quality?!)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iyley)
    (Yes, Oxford have one of the most cool libraries in the world, but shush... quantity not quality?!)
    Cambridge's University Library is much more useful to an undergraduate student than Oxford's Bodleian.
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry S Truman)
    Cambridge's University Library is much more useful to an undergraduate student than Oxford's Bodleian.
    Can you take books out of the main Cambridge library?
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    For a long time I wanted to do Classics with Oriental Studies (which you couldn't do at camb). And when I decided to just do straight classics i never even thought to consider Cambridge :dontknow: also one of my teachers and a family friend who both went to Oxford were influencing me :lol:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    Can you take books out of the main Cambridge library?
    Yes, and most of their books are on open shelves.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 11, 2014
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.