The Student Room Group

Non-Fast Stream route into the Civil Service

Hello folks,

I graduated last year with a 2.1 biosciences degree from KCL. I've spent the last six/seven months working in an events/admin role and have gained plenty of good office experience.

My goal for the moment is to get into the Civil Service if possible - I did apply for the Fast Stream last year but didn't make it to the FSAC. I do intend to apply again this year, but I'm also assessing the option of trying to get an AO/EO role within the Civil Service through their jobsite.

I've recently toyed with the idea of doing a master's in Public Policy - the courses I've looked at at KCL and UCL don't require prerequisite degrees - but I'm trying to assess whether or not it will enhance any applications I make to the Civil Service, and whether or not it is worth the ~10000 + living costs.

My only real work experience is working in a shop one summer, a couple of months' volunteering in the storeroom at an Oxfam shop and the six/seven months' work I've done in events. The latter has been particularly good but would this stand me in good stead for a role in the Civil Service (seeing as I have a science degree)? I'm not sure if it's worth pinging loads of applications off to various Civil Service jobs, or taking the master's to back me up a bit.
A masters in public policy isn't going to help you get in to the Civil Service, all their application process is entirely competency based and there won't be any extra points for having a masters. If you get higher up the Civil Service then that masters will start to be more relevant and at least give you some useful background so it won't be wasted.

Probably just getting in the civil service somehow would be the best start, you can apply for the fast stream as many times as you like and its easier if you are already used to what goes on, plus if you are in as an EO, you are only really one grade below fast stream equivalent anyway so once you get promotion to HEO you are basically there.
Thank you for the reply. I just thought that with all the economics/social research/policy modules in a Public Policy master's, having that understanding might help. My major worry is that I don't want to just rely on the Fast Stream for entry, as it's a bit of a gamble. Of course, I'll keep applying for it, but if I fail again I'll be stuck at home for another year, which is a bit of a pain. Do you know if the non-FS route is particularly competitive?
Original post by maxwellhouseeyes
Hello folks,

I graduated last year with a 2.1 biosciences degree from KCL. I've spent the last six/seven months working in an events/admin role and have gained plenty of good office experience.

My goal for the moment is to get into the Civil Service if possible - I did apply for the Fast Stream last year but didn't make it to the FSAC. I do intend to apply again this year, but I'm also assessing the option of trying to get an AO/EO role within the Civil Service through their jobsite.

I've recently toyed with the idea of doing a master's in Public Policy - the courses I've looked at at KCL and UCL don't require prerequisite degrees - but I'm trying to assess whether or not it will enhance any applications I make to the Civil Service, and whether or not it is worth the ~�10000 + living costs.

My only real work experience is working in a shop one summer, a couple of months' volunteering in the storeroom at an Oxfam shop and the six/seven months' work I've done in events. The latter has been particularly good but would this stand me in good stead for a role in the Civil Service (seeing as I have a science degree)? I'm not sure if it's worth pinging loads of applications off to various Civil Service jobs, or taking the master's to back me up a bit.

I'm saying this as someone whose definitely decided on doing a Masters (in International Public Policy) but I agree with MagicNMedicine on the fact that having a masters wouldn't necessarily make it easier to get in. As far as I'm aware most people who get in only have undergraduate degrees & in a range of subjects without necessarily having any background in public policy. It's all about how you answer the questions.
Hello!

I'm also applying for the civil service via the usual route as I didn't make it on to the Fast Stream. I have a friend who's worked for the civil service for a year or so, having applied via the non-Fast Stream route. Encouragingly, she told me not to worry if I didn't make it on to the Fast Stream as she thinks people are often better off entering the normal way. Yes, you'll be starting at a lower grade but you have more time to get used to the work before moving on too quickly. The Fast Stream is great for exceptional "born leader" types I guess, which is why the Fast Stream is quite competitive and looks for people who will do well advancing very quickly with less time to get used to everything.

Anyway, best of luck with your applications! I'm also interested in getting some insight from people who have worked in the civil service. While I do have some preferences for which department I work for it seems that just getting your foot in the door with an entry-level position in any department is a great start to getting your desired place in a department you're interested in, as you can then do internal applications once you're fairly established. Would people say that's a fair statement?
The Treasury have just opened their application programme. The vast majority of their intake are non-fast stream, but you do the same job, and it's just as well respected.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending